306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Is this illegal?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
have you had a new bj on that side recently?
FYI Continentals are usually 2-3mm, Volvo had a set of SC5s on, looked like they were shot and wearing the markers, but had a good 2.5mm or so on them...

And yeah, I'd put money on a non-pas Balljoint.
(20-06-2014, 06:00 PM)welshpug Wrote: [ -> ]have you had a new bj on that side recently?

I haven't replaced a ball joint so if I find the tool too take the locking nut off then I'll check the ball joint out and see if it needs replacing
(20-06-2014, 08:40 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote: [ -> ]
(20-06-2014, 06:00 PM)welshpug Wrote: [ -> ]have you had a new bj on that side recently?

I haven't replaced a ball joint so if I find the tool too take the locking nut off then I'll check the ball joint out and see if it needs replacing

If it has a non PAS ball joint on it, you will be able to spot it a mile off. If you look at the correct one with the wheel flat on the floor, you will see a slight bit of negative camber. With the Non PAS balljoint, you can blatantly see a difference. Looks like positive camber.
(20-06-2014, 08:45 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]
(20-06-2014, 08:40 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote: [ -> ]

If it has a non PAS ball joint on it, you will be able to spot it a mile off. If you look at the correct one with the wheel flat on the floor, you will see a slight bit of negative camber. With the Non PAS balljoint, you can blatantly see a difference. Looks like positive camber.

Sorry if I sound like an idiot but what is PAS? (Please don't kill me)
Power assisted steering Smile
(20-06-2014, 08:49 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Power assisted steering Smile

Oh okay Smile if I ever manage to get the wheel off then I'll take a look and if I can't see anything wrong I'll put some pics up and see if you guys can spot any issues Smile
Get some pics of each side looking down the side of the car with the wheels on the ground
/ \ <-- those are the wheels, that is negative camber
| | <-- Neutral
\ / <-- Positive
(20-06-2014, 09:06 PM)Connor Wrote: [ -> ]/ \ <-- those are the wheels, that is negative camber
| | <-- Neutral
\ / <-- Positive
- - <-- Jap Crap
this is the side with the dodgy tyre

[attachment=16991]
[attachment=16992]
[attachment=16993]

probably useless photos haha what should i be taking a pic of exactly
Picture of the wheel against the body, to see if its leaning in or out of the arch. Smile

That shiny pinch bolt points to a new ball joint though tbh!
(20-06-2014, 09:46 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Picture of the wheel against the body, to see if its leaning in or out of the arch. Smile

That shiny pinch bolt points to a new ball joint though tbh!

yeah the did it when my clutch was done, he noticed it was screwed so he replaced it for me Smile

bad side:
[attachment=16994]

good side:
[attachment=16995]

i definitely see camber out on the shit side
As tom says, shiny pinch bolt means its more than likely had a replacement. Get a new ball joint on there
(20-06-2014, 10:55 PM)Connor Wrote: [ -> ]As tom says, shiny pinch bolt means its more than likely had a replacement. Get a new ball joint on there

Yeah the pinch bolt was replaced when I got the clutch done, so will I just have to replace the top ball joint to sort the camber out?
I reckon you might have the wrong size ball joint in there or an ovaled hub.

Do us a pic of the top of your top mounts to make sure that's the right way round and when was the last time you had the tracking checked?
(20-06-2014, 10:59 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote: [ -> ]
(20-06-2014, 10:55 PM)Connor Wrote: [ -> ]As tom says, shiny pinch bolt means its more than likely had a replacement. Get a new ball joint on there

Yeah the pinch bolt was replaced when I got the clutch done, so will I just have to replace the top ball joint to sort the camber out?

It's the bottom ball joint, but there isn't one at the top so they'd still know what you mean tbf.

If it is a non-PAS ball joint, then as has been said, its the wrong size and will need changing to correct the camber. Smile You should still have the tracking done after that though.
(20-06-2014, 11:00 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: [ -> ]I reckon you might have the wrong size ball joint in there or an ovaled hub.

Do us a pic of the top of your top mounts to make sure that's the right way round and when was the last time you had the tracking checked?

(21-06-2014, 08:41 AM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]

It's the bottom ball joint, but there isn't one at the top so they'd still know what you mean tbf.

If it is a non-PAS ball joint, then as has been said, its the wrong size and will need changing to correct the camber. Smile You should still have the tracking done after that though.

Does anyone have a link too where I can get the ballpoint from and what one it is? Smile

(21-06-2014, 08:41 AM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]

Found this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/301011799...0&ff14=108
On your car I'm not sure what size hubs you will have. As well as needing to be a PAS balljoint, it also needs to be the correct size (either 16mm or 18mm)...ph1s tend to be 16mm, ph3s tend to be 18mm but not sure about ph2s.
(21-06-2014, 11:04 AM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]On your car I'm not sure what size hubs you will have. As well as needing to be a PAS balljoint, it also needs to be the correct size (either 16mm or 18mm)...ph1s tend to be 16mm, ph3s tend to be 18mm but not sure about ph2s.

Hmm I'll have to take it off at some point and measure the ball joint on both sides and see what the good side measures in at then I know what size to go for
No, you need to measure the hole in the bottom of the hub, where the ball joint locates. They could even be different each side if someones changed a hub for a scrap yard one.
(21-06-2014, 11:22 AM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]No, you need to measure the hole in the bottom of the hub, where the ball joint locates. They could even be different each side if someones changed a hub for a scrap yard one.

Oh that's annoying :/ not sure what to do
I have always found, if the tyre doesn't look ok, remove it and swop it with the spare. better safe than sorry!
(21-06-2014, 11:46 AM)procta Wrote: [ -> ]I have always found, if the tyre doesn't look ok, remove it and swop it with the spare. better safe than sorry!

Yeah that's what I wanna do but I need to find the lock nut removal tool first
(21-06-2014, 11:35 AM)Nathan1305 Wrote: [ -> ]
(21-06-2014, 11:22 AM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]No, you need to measure the hole in the bottom of the hub, where the ball joint locates. They could even be different each side if someones changed a hub for a scrap yard one.

I'm sure you're capable of removing the lower ball joint from the hub to measure the hole...or just buy both sizes and return whichever doesn't fit?

Looking for you wheel bolt key is probably a good start though! Big Grin
(21-06-2014, 12:28 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]
(21-06-2014, 11:35 AM)Nathan1305 Wrote: [ -> ]

I'm sure you're capable of removing the lower ball joint from the hub to measure the hole...or just buy both sizes and return whichever doesn't fit?

Looking for you wheel bolt key is probably a good start though! Big Grin

Yeah as soon as I find it I can get it all apart haha, so getting the correct size ball joint should fix this? Hopefully
If that's what the problem is yes. There is very obvious difference in camber between the good and bad wheels.

You could measure the underneath of the BJ to see the distance between where it meets the wishbone and the other end, to prove the bad side is shorter - the PAS one will be longer to 'push' the bottom of the wheel out further if that makes sense.
(21-06-2014, 12:35 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]If that's what the problem is yes. There is very obvious difference in camber between the good and bad wheels.

You could measure the underneath of the BJ to see the distance between where it meets the wishbone and the other end, to prove the bad side is shorter - the PAS one will be longer to 'push' the bottom of the wheel out further if that makes sense.

Oh okay so what does the PAS one look like? I'm not too sure where it is or what it looks like
They look exactly the same.... It's literally just a few mm between them, but that makes a massive difference when fitted.

The ball joint is on the end of the wishbone (3 bolts, or 3 rivets if aftermarket) and joins to the hub under where that shiny bolt head is. You need to measure from the end of the wishbone to the centre of the 'ball' on the balljoint ideally.

This is what it looks like out of the wishbone - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/331064225...108&ff19=0
(21-06-2014, 12:44 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]They look exactly the same.... It's literally just a few mm between them, but that makes a massive difference when fitted.

The ball joint is on the end of the wishbone (3 bolts, or 3 rivets if aftermarket) and joins to the hub under where that shiny bolt head is. You need to measure from the end of the wishbone to the centre of the 'ball' on the balljoint ideally.

This is what it looks like out of the wishbone - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/331064225...108&ff19=0

Oh I've seen them Smile I'll have to measure it all once I can get the wheel off
Pages: 1 2 3