306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Running Issues and Limp Mode
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi all,

after some advice on my car playing up, i will start at the beginning so bare with me as everyone will have all the information then.

the car is y reg with 110k on the clock.

this part may just be consciencedence but ill add it anyway:

couple days ago i put half a tank of diesel in and never though no more of it and came home..

next day i took the car out and noticed it was running on with the key a couple of seconds. this slowly got worse throught the day until it put it into limp mode and wouldnt start or do more than 18 mph without cutting out every few hundred yards. if i cleared the fault code it would then work fine for a while and then just come back on and cut out.

it had got to the point where the car wouldnt start from cold either just turned over...

anyway i plugged it in and got a maf sensor fault, fuel rail and fuel regulator fault.

i cleared the fault code and ran it again and the fuel pressure was all over the place, i did notice it sat at 298 when idling? anyway while driving it would just drop the fuel pressure to 8 and die..

anyway this morning i had chance to do something with it so i changed the fuel regulator, rail sensor and maf sensor for know good ones off my other car to see what happens..

it started up like it used to and i took it for a drive and it ran fine, so though i had fixed it and didnt run on no more. however i have noticed know when it is warm it will sometimes run on for a couple of seconds.

i have read up that the fuel regualtor is earthed via the gearbox and wondered if i had a dodgy earth, on closer inspection it has been rewired at some point. the earth is on two different connectors ontop of each other on the gearbox which i cant see is right and is not on my other car. (if that makes sense).

i am going to try rewiring this first and see if it makes any difference..

ideally im after peoples thoughts on what it could be or any useful information, i am going to check the brown relay and have a look at the ignition switch also just to make sure its not these.

any thoughts or comments are welcome Smile

thanks
Looks like your taking a good systematic approach there pal!

Fuel regulator will usually cause the running on issues and the dying out under load like that. What was the odb code, P0230? Have a look at my thread for some ideas too as I've had similar issues. http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-23322.html
(10-06-2014, 03:42 PM)londondan86 Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like your taking a good systematic approach there pal!

Fuel regulator will usually cause the running on issues and the dying out under load like that. What was the odb code, P0230? Have a look at my thread for some ideas too as I've had similar issues. http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-23322.html

thanks for the advice had the same problem before on another car so knew roughly where to start...

the lift pump works fine and filter is clean, when it does run fine i have put it in third under load and it doesnt cut out..

the car hasnt cut out since i changed those parts but just runs on but that is how the problem started a couple of days ago so thinking it may be wiring....

the fault code was from a snapon scanner so didnt bring p0230. the codes that came up specifically said fuel rail sensor and fuel regulator, i will get the codes cant remember from memory what they were...

just more the concern on these two earths ontop of each other and the fact it runs on when warm and sometimes goes back into limp..

i will read the thread see if it helps Smile
The fuel pressure regulator is the only thing that will make it run on like that as it's not releiving fuel pressure, and hence the injectors continue to fire to prevent damage to the HP system.

Try either a new regulator or check the wiring. I have known damaged ECUs to cause this problem too, sometimes the cure is a new ECU (although 99% likely it will be the reg).

Steve