306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Wvo and svo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone buy in wvo? Is it worth the hassle. I seen a lot on ebay but its miles away from me. If not planning to get svo from macro or wherever is cheapehst at the time
asda at the minute 2x five litre £8.00
Got to get me a Bosch...
IMO WVO is often not worth the hassle from the people I've spoken to who use it. Once you've let it settle scraped off the heavy fats, drained out the water and then filtered it to a sufficient standard you might not be left with alot of useable oil and alot of waste to get rid of. I Know people who have had bottles of waste and reckon less than half of it was useable. The fact that some people appear to be trying to charge 50ppl for waste on ebay is stupid.

The fact that I have purchased fresh veg oil straight out the supermarket for 50ppl recently says it all. Its only 75ppl in costco permanently and even if you don't have a card all ASDAs have it at 2x5L bottles for £8 (80ppl) and tesco are still doing the same for £9 (90ppl)
which do you find best sunflower or veg asda have both same price for 2
(24-05-2014, 06:27 PM)vincent1 Wrote: [ -> ]which do you find best sunflower or veg asda have both same price for 2

sunflower mate . .
cool will pick some more up whilst it cheap.
Awesome ill take a look in asda and go clear them out. The bosch pump should be with me next week so veg ftw!!
Sunflower smells better! Also usually has more calories per liter than veg but the asda/ktc stuff is 899kcal/100mll for both. More calories = more power/better economy.
Sunflower smells better....
I sorta want to put some waste chinese in mine just to see
If its just a chip oil or dohnut oil its generally ok. Its these places that fry alot of meat in there oil and dont change it often enough that you start to come across tubs of half usable oil and half just sludge (fats).
I've done my fair share of filtering and I don't bother any more as it never seems worth it with the time involved, getting dirty, cleaning filters etc etc really not worth it, I do buy ready filtered off a guy when he has it but I'm getting more put off this since I got the vento now I'm going to start running new oil it's alot thinner than filtered oil and alot less hassle, try get your self in to cash and carrys, if you have an Adam branches near you, you can get in there with out any card or anything like that last time I went was around £15 for 20liters but they regularly have offers on.

If you were to looking in to filtering avoid takeaways especially Chinese there oil all seems to come out solid and full of that much shite would put you off Chinese for rest of your life Wink restaurants are usually best place.

Also you may see adverts on ebay for people selling filtered oil be wary of these, you do every now and again come across genuine good filtered oil but I've been messed around a fair few times doing 100mile round trips to buy "filtered to 1 micron" oil and getting there and there's chips floating around in it etc most people are lying even more reason to buy new.
(24-05-2014, 06:56 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: [ -> ]Sunflower smells better! Also usually has more calories per liter than veg but the asda/ktc stuff is 899kcal/100mll for both. More calories = more power/better economy.

If only it worked like that when eating the calories :-(
55ppl well worth it if you do alot of miles. I buy It off the same bloke every month because I know it has very little fat/water in it.
Doesn't take up a lot of my time because I've built the filter system with that in mind :-)
Using waste is well worth it if you use it accordingly, rather than just assuming it'll be the same as using diesel. Know a couple of lads at work that pick it up for free and tend to get a good 180L of fuel out of a 205L drum or wvo. They both use old immersion heater tanks (not actually heating, just because they're a good size and shape with outlets at useful points lol) with a serviceable/replaceable filter system on both the tank feed and outlet.
I do roughly 600 miles a week so I'm keen to reduce my outlay on fuel, but either waste or off the shelf at the supermarket I'll be making a saving and as they say - every little helps !
Basicallybthe same reason ill be running it
Depends on a number of factors. Collecting 20-30L at a time is very time consuming for a start, better to try and collect in bulk.

The quality of the oil will dictate how much of your time is spent making it usable, and how much fuel you get out at the end. Crap oil = lots of time spent for not much fuel.

If you go WVO spend the money on a proper setup. Fannying around with sock filters and drums is the cheap way of doing it, but you end up with everything covered in grease and it takes ages. You might spend £100 - £150 but that will be paid for after 2 tanks, it will save you a lot of time and it will make life a whole lot more pleasant.

I highly recommend you get some misfuel. Blend it in 20% and gravity will do all of the work in 24 hours. Drain off the rubbish and the rest will fly through a 1 micron filter. A single 10" filter element does me about 1500 litres of oil (it gets changed once a year). It's also 20% of your fuel that you don't have to pay for (indeed you might consider blending even on SVO).

About an hour of my time results in 150 litres of usable fuel costing 18ppl, so no brainer for me. Bear in mind that the price of SVO is volatile, it wasn't that long ago it was more expensive than derv.
(25-05-2014, 12:01 PM)ally406 Wrote: [ -> ]Depends on a number of factors. Collecting 20-30L at a time is very time consuming for a start, better to try and collect in bulk.

The quality of the oil will dictate how much of your time is spent making it usable, and how much fuel you get out at the end. Crap oil = lots of time spent for not much fuel.

If you go WVO spend the money on a proper setup. Fannying around with sock filters and drums is the cheap way of doing it, but you end up with everything covered in grease and it takes ages. You might spend £100 - £150 but that will be paid for after 2 tanks, it will save you a lot of time and it will make life a whole lot more pleasant.

I highly recommend you get some misfuel. Blend it in 20% and gravity will do all of the work in 24 hours. Drain off the rubbish and the rest will fly through a 1 micron filter. A single 10" filter element does me about 1500 litres of oil (it gets changed once a year). It's also 20% of your fuel that you don't have to pay for (indeed you might consider blending even on SVO).

About an hour of my time results in 150 litres of usable fuel costing 18ppl, so no brainer for me. Bear in mind that the price of SVO is volatile, it wasn't that long ago it was more expensive than derv.

You for any pics of your set up? Looking to build a filter system
Here it is in all its glory, a re-appropriated council wheelie bin:

[Image: 2.jpg]

If I were doing it again, I'd install a larger tap, that one can get blocked by a chip which is rather annoying! I've also added some power sockets for the pump and element, and a hose with dispensing nozzle on the end. It also doesn't need 2 element housings as 1 easily does the job with misfuel. If no misfuel then 2 is better, maybe even 3 so it can be stepped down.
(25-05-2014, 12:23 PM)ally406 Wrote: [ -> ]Here it is in all its glory, a re-appropriated council wheelie bin:

[Image: 2.jpg]

If I were doing it again, I'd install a larger tap, that one can get blocked by a chip which is rather annoying! I've also added some power sockets for the pump and element, and a hose with dispensing nozzle on the end. It also doesn't need 2 element housings as 1 easily does the job with misfuel. If no misfuel then 2 is better, maybe even 3 so it can be stepped down.

Awesome :-)

Mine only takes up a small footprint, has a pump, 3kw heater, rough cleanable internal filter and X2 5micron filters. Like you say, probably £100 worth of stuff.
(25-05-2014, 12:01 PM)ally406 Wrote: [ -> ]Bear in mind that the price of SVO is volatile, it wasn't that long ago it was more expensive than derv.
Really? I've never seen it more than £1/l for 20l drums.

The only time I can assume it was more expensive than diesel was because diesel was cheaper not the veg being more expensive.