306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: rocker cover questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
im thinking of taking off my rocker covers and give them a bit of refurb and spray. firstly, is hamerite rattle cans okay to use for spraying them? then i thought would look into getting a new gasket for it but cant seem to find one on ecp. is there any decent instant gasket sealants i can use that would be up to the job?
look harder mate, they will have one . .Smile
ive only briefly looked on the website, but am going there tomorrow for a few other bits. just didnt know if there were any other alternatives
(06-05-2014, 07:41 PM)willJspears Wrote: [ -> ]ive only briefly looked on the website, but am going there tomorrow for a few other bits. just didnt know if there were any other alternatives

why would you want an alternative to the proper thing? they're not expensive . . . . . . .lol kids these days . .Big Grin
(06-05-2014, 07:43 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2014, 07:41 PM)willJspears Wrote: [ -> ]ive only briefly looked on the website, but am going there tomorrow for a few other bits. just didnt know if there were any other alternatives

why would you want an alternative to the proper thing? they're not expensive . . . . . . .lol kids these days . .Big Grin

just incase i couldnt get one tomorow, and have heard other people using sealants, didnt know if they were any good
(06-05-2014, 07:45 PM)willJspears Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2014, 07:43 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: [ -> ]

just incase i couldnt get one tomorow, and have heard other people using sealants, didnt know if they were any good

no mate, you'll see why when you change it . .Smile
well just had another gander on the ecp website and they dont show any rocker cover gaskets as such. just gasket paste. will just ave to wait and see
(06-05-2014, 07:50 PM)willJspears Wrote: [ -> ]well just had another gander on the ecp website and they dont show any rocker cover gaskets as such. just gasket paste. will just ave to wait and see

yes they do here, page 2 . .Smile

http://www.eurocarparts.com/car-gasket-seals
(06-05-2014, 08:12 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2014, 07:50 PM)willJspears Wrote: [ -> ]well just had another gander on the ecp website and they dont show any rocker cover gaskets as such. just gasket paste. will just ave to wait and see

yes they do here, page 2 . .Smile

ahh, second page didnt show up when i typed my reg in. cheers bud

http://www.eurocarparts.com/car-gasket-seals
Someone told me they stop making the gaskets????

Luckily all the covers if had have had good seals.
(06-05-2014, 08:45 PM)7057sam Wrote: [ -> ]Someone told me they stop making the gaskets????

Luckily all the covers if had have had good seals.

well i'll wait and see, tbf can't imagine its gonna be too bad, its more of a rubber seal isn't it?
anyone got any info on paint. i.e hamerite for painting the covers?
I used hamerite once.results where'nt amazing paint quite thick.

Halford is much better and cheaper
2 thing's, They are cam cover's, Rocker cover's are for Mini's etc

Also the seals are inbuilt into the covers so be careful, allot are failing now so a smear of a good quality RTV helps to seal them or they will leak when re-fitted

Paint wise, Plasti Cote is good stuff, Makes Hamerite look ****,
They don't have gaskets they are sealed with instant-gasket type stuff from the factory as Miles said, which obviously hardened after they torqued them down from the factory so refitting them may not provide a perfect seal again, hence the need for a small layer of more RTV on top of the original seal.
(06-05-2014, 09:49 PM)miles Wrote: [ -> ]2 thing's, They are cam cover's, Rocker cover's are for Mini's etc

Also the seals are inbuilt into the covers so be careful, allot are failing now so a smear of a good quality RTV helps to seal them or they will leak when re-fitted

Paint wise, Plasti Cote is good stuff, Makes Hamerite look ****,

(06-05-2014, 10:26 PM)RetroPug Wrote: [ -> ]They don't have gaskets they are sealed with instant-gasket type stuff from the factory as Miles said, which obviously hardened after they torqued them down from the factory so refitting them may not provide a perfect seal again, hence the need for a small layer of more RTV on top of the original seal.

As above.

How they can stop making something that was never in use, I don't know Wink

If the seals are shot, use some instant gasket. Just to echo the above.
Just so I don't start a new thread for this in about a month, what is a good quality sealant to use for this purpose?
RTV sealant is available pretty much everywhere but I've no idea which brands are good, and which can withstand the heat etc.
i'll get my coat . . .lol . . . sorry it just appeared that they sold gaskets on ECP . .my bad
Yeah the granville stuff is plenty good enough gear. Either the larger 'silicone gun' jobbies, or the smaller tubes will be fine
The Loctite 3*** from Halfolds is good, But I always use the Wurth RTV but the smallest tube they do will see around 40 gearbox's alone
Yes, but you can get cheaper, and IMO better stuff, from Halfords.

That said, the above will do the job.
am taking a trip to both ecp and halfords today, so will see what i can find. cheers for all the info
Thanks guys, looking to do the same as will some time soon.