306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Another rear axle thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it possible to repair this rear axle?

[Image: DSCN2061_zpse25e53af.jpg]

The black build up is really difficult to remove and it all needs to come off for me to be able to slide the new inner bearing home.

What would be the best way to remove it?
Id say tube is shot, dont.think you would get a bearing in there
That's a shitter as both the beams I've got are like this.

Is there no easy way of getting that crap off then?

One of them the stub of the arm was seized solid, it stayed in the tube and the arm came off lol.

[Image: DSCN2077_zpsf16fbda6.jpg]
Youll get it off then i expect the new bearing wont sit tight in the tube due to rust essentially shrinking the tube size if that makes sense. Because the metals corroded away it will be a bigger once chipped away
I know what you mean the rust has corroded the surface away leaving less material there.

That's what I was thinking but what's the best way to remove the black stuff?
Hammer and chisel i guess, your not gonna damage any good metal thats left that way should just chip away the rust
I was hoping there would be a quicker and easier way but I guess I'll be chipping away at it tomorrow Sad

I wish I bought a used axle now.
Its the one thing i think is letting the 306s down now there.at the age where probably 50 percent of axles are no good.
Ive just built myself one up. And its not the first time ive had a knackered axle on 306s
The one on my hatchback has done 314k miles and I've not had any trouble with that one, but it has started to creek so I'll be having a look at the as soon as I sort the estate.
Didn't realise yours was still original Dee! Think Simons was replaced around 180k due to a lean/scrub.
Yep, it's even on it's original wheel bearings!
Blimey!
I'm going to be changing them this year now as a pre-emptive measure.
Flap wheel on a drill?
That beam is scrap.
Get another, messing around with this one you'll be wasting your time

You can see where the trailing arm has ovalled the tube, the bearing will never sit right and will fail shortly after.
Unless you know someone with a massive lathe and someone to sleeve it it's scrap.
My problem is both the ones I have are like this.

I will see what the one on the car is like today, what are the chances it'll be the same.

(04-05-2014, 01:23 AM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]Flap wheel on a drill?

It's going to be a pain to get down far enough for the inner bearing.

I got the stub out the beam. It took more force getting that out as it takes to get the out the arm.

[Image: DSCN2109_zps2089ba83.jpg]

The torsion bars are stuck in the arm like a good one. The others came out ok but the ones in this one keep braking the the bolt I'm using to pull against.

[Image: DSCN2112_zps1d4acb74.jpg]

[Image: DSCN2114_zpsc29328ec.jpg]