306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Dash Cams - Who has one?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This has been on the news recently, Police wanting to start enforcing it (much like they do in Russia for insurance purposes).

I think it would work well, but would also be worried about the many millions of sad c*nts who would post the slightest little altercation on Youtube along with your numberplate. It's happening already.

Cameras can be had for around £30 plus the cost of an SD card.
Been considering one for a while, I occasionally use the free CarCam App, but my iPhone holder is a little shaky.
I've got a cheap £20 made in china one and up until I lost the charger it wasn't bad for the price, never used it at night mind
Just considering one myself, for £40 it could mean the difference between winning and losing your case *if* you have an accident.

Most run off of a USB / Cigar socket, it's easy to wire in an additional one though isn't it? Just in parallel with the existing one but on its' own fuse should be safe surely?
Gotta say I've been tempted but unless you go mad and get 4 or more of them your never going to cover every angle which can be worse than not having one. The best footage would come from the car behind having one fitted.

They'll never enforce everyone having one fitted, Article 8 of the human rights act is the right to a private life. Inside your car is realistically a private place (even though it has windows you'd still kick someone out if they tried to get in uninvited) and so you wont get past that and currently all the insurance ones I've seen video the inside as well as the out to see if the driver is texting/falling asleep.
(02-05-2014, 10:05 AM)C.A.R. Wrote: [ -> ]Just considering one myself, for £40 it could mean the difference between winning and losing your case *if* you have an accident.

Most run off of a USB / Cigar socket, it's easy to wire in an additional one though isn't it? Just in parallel with the existing one but on its' own fuse should be safe surely?

Exactly what i'd do if I got one, could wire it in so you'd have no visible wiring on show, and stick it behind the rear view mirror - will be my next investment I think.
Well reading reviews online they reckon the one to get is a G1W. There's a newer version of this in that it has capacitors instead of Lithium batteries (which can get very hot / burn) but I can't find a good source for the G1W-C yet, whereas the older model is available on Amazon...

Wonder if one day it will make a difference to your insurance. I imagine we'll all have one in 5 years...
Before Christmas I spent a few hours reading/watching reviews & that name rings a bell.

Let us know if you do go for one, it'll probably be a couple of moths before I get one but it's something i've wanted for a while, bet it'll also catch some funny moments as well as being a safety/evidence parameter!
5th Gear did a review on these. Pretty good info, worth a watch.
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-14711.html

Theres some footage off a cheap chinese copy of a RoadHawk 720 I got off ebay for £40. Used it in my works bus, have since left the company and cuz I hard wired it in I left it. The seller currently has it on a offer for £29.99 well worth it in my opinion for camera only, although the gps enabled cams have more gadgets they only prove your location and approx speed, both of which can be ascertained from vid only by the vid being evidence of location and speed can be calculated by measuring distance between two points and then seeing how long it took you between those two points.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-720P-Smalle...5655c95f2a

Heres some more sample footage

http://youtu.be/MGEmr77unF0
Doing 20,000 miles a year on rural roads full of nutters persuaded me to spend an Amazon voucher on one. I've only had it a couple weeks, and I've already filmed a guy trying to get into my car at a junction. Thankfully I had the doors locked, and I handed 1080p footage of said low life into the police. However they weren't interested in the slightest in an attempted car jacking/robbery/ra*e, so as it turns out they're completely pointless.