306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: What's needed to Tax my car?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Tax is due end of May so I need to renew it, what do I need to do this? It's my first car so new to this Smile thanks guys
They will send you a reminder next month.

Then just use the number from the reminder to tax online. Smile
(29-04-2014, 08:34 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]They will send you a reminder next month.

Then just use the number from the reminder to tax online. Smile

Oh cool Smile so I'll get a letter a few weeks before I guess?
Yeah, probably about a week from now tbh.
(29-04-2014, 08:36 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, probably about a week from now tbh.

Awesome Smile what if I go to a post office to tax it? I'll need the tax disk quick as FCS is only 6 days after my tax is due so need to tax it fast Smile or can I tax it before it runs out? So when I get the letter
You can take the letter (not your old disc) to apost office and do it that way yeah. Smile

You can tax before it runs out, up to a month in advance, but must not display the new disc until the old one runs out.

If you tax online you should get 5 days grace where you don't have to display the disc due to it being in the post, but do it early enough and it wont be a problem anyway.
if you go past office you need log book and mot.
Not any more Kent. Smile MOT and insurance is all done electronically now.
(29-04-2014, 08:41 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]You can take the letter (not your old disc) to apost office and do it that way yeah. Smile

You can tax before it runs out, up to a month in advance, but must not display the new disc until the old one runs out.

If you tax online you should get 5 days grace where you don't have to display the disc due to it being in the post, but do it early enough and it wont be a problem anyway.

Awesome Smile I insure my car the end of May so ill tax it the same day as well. I don't have a log book, I have a v5 and a tear off slip but no logbook. The car was MOT'd when I bought the car so the mot won't be in my name. Is that an issue?
Why don't you have a logbook? Still waiting for it in post?

The V5C is the logbook btw, the green slip is just a piece of that.

MOT is on the car and not in anyones name so that's fine.
(29-04-2014, 08:54 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Why don't you have a logbook? Still waiting for it in post?

Oh okay I have the V5C Smile I received it last week. So that's the logbook basically
V5 and insurance proof last time I taxed a vehicle at the post office.
(29-04-2014, 09:04 PM)RetroPug Wrote: [ -> ]V5 and insurance proof last time I taxed a vehicle at the post office.

So how will I prove insurance? I'm insuring it the same day as I tax it, so could I use the email confirmation as proof of insurance?
(29-04-2014, 08:56 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-04-2014, 08:54 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Why don't you have a logbook? Still waiting for it in post?

Oh okay I have the V5C Smile I received it last week. So that's the logbook basically

Yeah that is the logbook. Smile

(29-04-2014, 09:04 PM)RetroPug Wrote: [ -> ]V5 and insurance proof last time I taxed a vehicle at the post office.

As said, this shouldn't be necessary now (as of the last month or two) as it's all on their online database. Doesn't hurt to take them just in case though.
Inorder to tax a car, you need a valid MOT and insurance. MOT can't be due to expire I.E, within 2 weeks of expiring i think it is to tax online. If you do it in the post office, you can do it even before the day the MOT runs out.
If you do it online on say for example the 29th of this month and on the 30th the last tax period runs out, you have 16 days (why 16 i don't know!) for the new disc to arrive and for you to put it in the windscreen. Tbh, they don't even check discs any more as its all online now hence why as of October this year, you will no longer get a disc.
(29-04-2014, 09:07 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]If you do it online on say for example the 29th of this month and on the 30th the last tax period runs out, you have 16 days (why 16 i don't know!) for the new disc to arrive and for you to put it in the windscreen. Tbh, they don't even check discs any more as its all online now hence why as of October this year, you will no longer get a disc.

Ah I didn't realise it was that long!

Have tried to tax mine online today but cant as it's not insured until the 1st (though I've already [aid for the change of car on the policy!). So I'll have to tax it on the first and drive around with no disc until it arrives lol.
(29-04-2014, 09:07 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Inorder to tax a car, you need a valid MOT and insurance. MOT can't be due to expire I.E, within 2 weeks of expiring i think it is to tax online. If you do it in the post office, you can do it even before the day the MOT runs out.
If you do it online on say for example the 29th of this month and on the 30th the last tax period runs out, you have 16 days (why 16 i don't know!) for the new disc to arrive and for you to put it in the windscreen. Tbh, they don't even check discs any more as its all online now hence why as of October this year, you will no longer get a disc.

Ah okay my tax runs out on 31/05/2014 and I'm taxing it on 01/06/2014 so I should have to wait 16 days if I do it online? And how do I prove I have insurance if I'm taxing it the same day as I insure it? Do I use the email that I'll be sent?
(29-04-2014, 09:13 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-04-2014, 09:07 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Inorder to tax a car, you need a valid MOT and insurance. MOT can't be due to expire I.E, within 2 weeks of expiring i think it is to tax online. If you do it in the post office, you can do it even before the day the MOT runs out.

Ah okay my tax runs out on 31/05/2014 and I'm taxing it on 01/06/2014 so I should have to wait 16 days if I do it online? And how do I prove I have insurance if I'm taxing it the same day as I insure it? Do I use the email that I'll be sent?

Nialls confusing things there tbh. lol You don't have to wait at all. If you tax it on the 1st online, the disc COULD take 16 days to arrive, and in that time you cant be fined for not displaying it in the window.

You will be sent a confirmation email yeah, and if you use an online system for the insurance the documents are all available to print off immediately. That's how I do it with Admiral anyway.

No what I'm saying is, if you tax it online you won't get a disc instantly. It will take a few days/week to turn up so they give you a 16 day grace period from the end of the previous tax before you have to display your new disc (idea being you have time for it to arrive). If you still don't display it after that, theres the chance of a 200 quid fine.
If you do it online, insurance is automatically checked on the MID. If you do it in the post office, you need to take a valid insurance certificate.
(29-04-2014, 09:16 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]

Nialls confusing things there tbh. lol You don't have to wait at all. If you tax it on the 1st online, the disc COULD take 16 days to arrive, and in that time you cant be fined for not displaying it in the window.

You will be sent a confirmation email yeah, and if you use an online system for the insurance the documents are all available to print off immediately. That's how I do it with Admiral anyway.

Ah I get it now Smile I'll tax it online. So I mat be at FCS with no tax disk if it doesn't turn up within the 6 days haha
(29-04-2014, 08:43 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Not any more Kent. Smile MOT and insurance is all done electronically now.

I knew insurance was, wasn't sure about mot.
The others are probably correct about not needing insurance documents any more, however most insurers let you print them off immediately.
You will not be fined if you have proof of tax payment with you in the car without the disk like the others said.
Just walk into post office with full v5 or new owners slip as long as it's motd and insured that's all you need they will do rest beer bothered doing online sooner have the tax disk straight away
You don't need an insurance certificate any more at postie.

So all you need is V5 (or V5 new owner slip) and MOT certificate.