306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: XU engines
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi all eyeing up a hdi at the moment but after running insurance quotes the 1.8 petrol is £20 more per year

I know the HDI's have more modding capability with remaps but how does the 1.8 petrol stand?

are the cams available with breather mods to up the hp?

Or are the Xsi lumps a easy upgrade I know any engine upgrade is potentially availible but I was unsure if the 2.0 can drop in?or will it require a loom and ecu

thanks
If your after an engine to upgrade, don't buy a 1.8. They really are a fantastic engine but let down so much buy their management. If you want an engine to add bits too, get a GTI. They had the most sophisticated adaptable ECU out of the petrol XUs
(27-04-2014, 06:30 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]If your after an engine to upgrade, don't buy a 1.8. They really are a fantastic engine but let down so much buy their management. If you want an engine to add bits too, get a GTI. They had the most sophisticated adaptable ECU out of the petrol XUs

It depends how far you want to go with it. A 1.8 is a much better base engine that the GTi, but if you want to just throw some cams in it with a remap and a cone filter, just get a GTi
Unfortunately the gti is out of the question as im only 20 as is the xsi

Is it possible to supercharge the xsi ?

Or transplant a 6 or 2.0 lump easy ?

Looking for around 150-200 bhp nothing stupid
If insurance is too expensive for a gti-6 then I'd be surprised if a supercharged 1.8 or gti engine-swapped 306 would work out any cheaper.
By the time you've spent a year swapping engines, charging, modding etc. you could have another year of holding a license (turning 21 made a huge difference for me) another year of NCB, and then just buy a gti-6.
Id get some qoutes mate. i had my 1st gti when i was 18. insurence wasnt that bad. try people like. brentachre, green light or adrian flux.

and if you get a 1.8 or xsi to 160-170 bhp its going to cost alot more to built and more to insure than a gti . and you get that power standerd in a gti!!!
Hi,
If you need any help with insurance at all please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
Have to agree by the time you do an engine swap the modified engine would work out more expensive to insure

Id look at brentacre or elsewhere to insure it before flux as they have never understood what my lists of mods is
after looking around think i may settle for a '6 the insurance is £200 more than this year but with an extra 128bhp more than my 206 1.1 but im gonna have to look into the fuel consumption first
All down to how you drive them mate. To fcs last year I had a steady drive and averaged 41mpg. When spanking it though, I could see as low as 7 lol
They are pretty good, Filled up the other day with some Tesco 99 which will see 350 miles around town or 430 ish on a run, Cost was around £78.00
(04-05-2014, 07:30 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]All down to how you drive them mate. To fcs last year I had a steady drive and averaged 41mpg. When spanking it though, I could see as low as 7 lol

i hope thats a joke bimmer spec right there
(06-05-2014, 06:38 PM)doski Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-05-2014, 07:30 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]All down to how you drive them mate. To fcs last year I had a steady drive and averaged 41mpg. When spanking it though, I could see as low as 7 lol

i hope thats a joke bimmer spec right there

Nope. That was the lowest i ever saw but i was spanking it lol