306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: someone hit my car and drove off... what to do now?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
parked at work today, come back out 2 hours later to get my dinner from the car and i find this:

[Image: 10153814_292006330962907_3023898647226599231_n.jpg]

basically i parked on the road that goes around the car park, and opposite me there is a parking area for people visiting the staff shop. according to a witness it was a woman in a black car who reversed out of one of those spots, hit my car side on then must have sh*t her pants and drove off

reported to my line manager, who took me to reception where i found out what had happened. there are 3 CCTV cameras in the area, two close to where it happened and another watching over the only exit barrier for my building

going to the police station first thing tomorrow to report it, but ideally i dont want to go through the insurance if the culprit is found, as ive already had a fault claim against me and even though this wouldnt be my fault, it would surely make my premiums unaffordable come renewal in july

but will the police actually investigate it, as i dont think the premises security will give me access to the tapes but the police can get them for sure? or will it just be ignored as i expect it will be?

anything else i can do?

thanks
Impressive for a bump strip to stay on after that!

I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed to see the tapes? Did you ask?

As for the police, if it was on a private car park, theres not much they can do afaik.
Police will look into it for sure.
They will prosicute. Had same happen for a mate recently. Witness got reg, police visited the home of culprit next day and they ended up with points and a fine I believe.

The claim wont affect your insurance as its not your fault.

A bugger though

(On positive side...find a second hand door and bobs ya uncle)
Everyone says that and it put mine up £200
(23-04-2014, 09:43 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Impressive for a bump strip to stay on after that!

I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed to see the tapes? Did you ask?

As for the police, if it was on a private car park, theres not much they can do afaik.

I was quite impressed by that as well lol! I have a feeling they wont let me, I'm going in to work an hour early anyway to see what they say.

Yeah it is a private car park plus I was parked where I technically shouldnt have been, but I cant see how this would excuse someone for causing damage then leaving the scene?

(23-04-2014, 09:45 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]Police will look into it for sure.
They will prosicute. Had same happen for a mate recently. Witness got reg, police visited the home of culprit next day and they ended up with points and a fine I believe.

A bugger though

(On positive side...find a second hand door and bobs ya uncle)

Even though its private land? :/

And Danny2009 is sorting me a moonstone door for a good price so I'll just have to have it like the Inbetweeners car for a while lol!
(23-04-2014, 09:53 PM)rtha6551 Wrote: [ -> ]Even though its private land? :/

A crime is a crime isn't it?
I'm not allowed to murder people just because it's my house Smile
Police will investigate if you tell them there is CCTV evidence of it. And yes it will put you premium up because they class you as being a higher risk even though its not your fault but no where near as much as it would if it was your fault.
Often a letter is all that's needed for requesting CCTV. If you have reason to suspect there can be evidence the police will just request it any way. The woman would just be charged with leaving the scene of an accident. And then requested to give insurance details to you.
(23-04-2014, 09:58 PM)tigerstyle Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not allowed to murder people just because it's my house Smile

Aw, that sucks then. Sad Should be able to do what you like in your own home imo! Big Grin
(23-04-2014, 10:10 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-04-2014, 09:58 PM)tigerstyle Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not allowed to murder people just because it's my house Smile

Aw, that sucks then. Sad Should be able to do what you like in your own home imo! Big Grin

Yes Tom I totally agree!! Like in places like Texas where your aloud to shoot intruders afaik, may be wrong but sure there's places like that!
If only..... Tongue

As said on the phone raj, bit of a sh*tter! Hope you manage to sort everything bud Smile
Leaving the scene of an accident innit. Even though there was nobody in your car, how were they to know that? That's why the police will be interested, a crime has been committed.
if the police can get you the other partys insurance details there was a company that repaired vehicle's whilst i worked at one garage, what they did was just bill the other party's insurance direct so it didnt ever have to go through yours, saves alot of problems as they started work immediatly on your vehicle
Thanks for all the replies Smile

I'm making a trip to Southampton on Saturday, a round trip of 500 miles so getting the door off Danny fitted then as its probably not a great idea to drive with it bent like that and reluctant to close properly

would this invalidate any payout from the other partys insurance?
Gutted mate hope you get it sorted
Given the age of the vehicle and damage done an insurance company would write the vehicle of with just the description over the phone. Just ask Danny what he went through with one of his old ones.

On another note you can refuse the vehicle to be written off its a long process of arguing with the insurance company. but I have seen it done before.

Also if it turns out that the 3rd party is uninsured don't worry your still covered. all you do is contact MIB stating you was hit by uninsured 3rd they will then take your case and sort everything out better than any insurance company then due the 3rd party for there cost
We had the police come into our work and take a copy of our CCTV when someone had stones thrown over their car, can't see why this would be any different.
There's no reason for the company not to give the CCTV evidence to the police or to you, they should make it available to both.
(24-04-2014, 12:12 AM)Jenkosowls Wrote: [ -> ]Given the age of the vehicle and damage done an insurance company would write the vehicle of with just the description over the phone. Just ask Danny what he went through with one of his old ones.

On another note you can refuse the vehicle to be written off its a long process of arguing with the insurance company. but I have seen it done before.

Also if it turns out that the 3rd party is uninsured don't worry your still covered. all you do is contact MIB stating you was hit by uninsured 3rd they will then take your case and sort everything out better than any insurance company then due the 3rd party for there cost

If you get quotes to fix the vehicle yourself/using your local mechanic and it is cheaper for them than writing the vehicle off then they may accept a settlement payout of that amount.

Unfortunately everyone is correct, that vehicle will be written off by insurers. They are obliged to use new, genuine parts. A new, genuine door from peugeot plus labour is probably not very cheap.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune due to someone who is a lowlife piece of scum,people that do this just makes my blood boil !!!!!.Angry
You can insist on the vehicle being returned to its original state, rather than being written off, as it wasn't your fault.
Pretty much got your answers above mate. My thoughts are that you and the policy will easily get access to the tapes, youll then be able to see the reg, then the police will sort it out, then the woman will get in touch. At this point it either goes through insurance or she can agree to pay fuel costs, your time and the cost of a new door. I doubt she will want to go through insurance. nobody does. Good luck.
what a bastard that is!! I hope you find out who it was, and get her to foot the bill! all she had to do was leave a note with her contact details, or someone who clocked the reg.
(23-04-2014, 09:45 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]Police will look into it for sure.

Wrong and wrong

Police wont look into it unless a witness (that you have details of) has a VRM or there is CCTV directly covering it happening (in some force areas).

It will put your insurance up if you tell them irregardless of the fact you aren't at fault as any time your involved in a collision it shows that you drive/park in areas or at times when your car is more likely to be hit or that you drive/park in a manner that means others are likely to hit your car.
Tbh all this 'it will put your insurance up' is hear say, I've had two accidents in the past year, one I ended up in a field and wrote my car of, (witness backed my story that I swerved to avoid a car and lost control on a sharpe corner) and second someone drove straight into the side of me instead of following the road markings, and my insurance has actually gone down and in with the same company so I don't believe all this 'it puts insurance up'

As for the video evidence you are entitled to a copy of it if you request it withinh 40 days and then can charge you upto 10 to supply you with it, it also may be edited to protect other peoples identities except the person you believe to of caused the damage, and that is stated under the data protection act so there isn't any buts, they HAVE TO PROVIDE IT as long as you give written evidence without 40 days
Thanks for the responses particularly those concerning the insurance side of things

Despite there being 3 CCTV cameras within the area it happened and the main gate, Rawmarsh police station told me today that nothing was caught on it, nothing else they can really do which is fair enough really to say I didn't think they'd actually do anything

So I guess I just have to cut my losses and hope the daft b*tch finds herself in a worse accident

Meanwhile £20 later and I look like Simon from the Inbetweeners
Shame about the outcome

still you have a very unique look now lol