306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Stuttery wiper
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Have an issue with the wipers; not when on constant or hyper-speed wiping but when switched for a single wipe or rain-sensor wipe, the last 'stroke' just before the wiper comes to rest has a weird stutter; with also, which sounds like a relay, stuttering also?

Any ideas? I'm assuming it's a relay of some sort - i tried cleaning the rain sensor, made no difference
Either the motor needs a clean, or the relay is dying in the dash. Feel which relay is clicking, and substitute it to see if it cures it, else look for the wiper motor repair thread.
(22-04-2014, 08:44 PM)C2K Wrote: [ -> ]Either the motor needs a clean, or the relay is dying in the dash. Feel which relay is clicking, and substitute it to see if it cures it, else look for the wiper motor repair thread.

Which relay operates wipers; the sound is coming from under the steering cover it sounds like?
I's in the cabin fuse box, forget which one the wiper is but put your hand on them as you see the wipers stutter and it'll give itself away. I traced my faulty indicator relay like that.
Almost definitely the motor I would say, only about a 45 minute job. There must be a guide around somewhere.
The motor ; despite the relay clicking it's nuts off?

I suppose changing the relay first wouldn't harm
Motor makes the contacts, relay just provides power.

Swap relay, 3min job, if same, strip motor Smile
When mine did it, it was the motor. Give the motor a clean before buying a new one as it tends too sort it out Smile
Yeah as I remember it's the contacts inside the motor - the motor essentially sends it's park position back to the relay in intermittent mode so after a single wipe it pauses, it normally stutters like mad when the contact inside the motor which sends the position back is getting manky - usually when the grease inside has become conductive from the wiping of the contacts.

Try the relay first, but I have a funny feeling it's the contacts in the motor, if you're feeling brave, strip the motor down and you should see crap on the contacts which returns the park position.
(23-04-2014, 09:35 AM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah as I remember it's the contacts inside the motor - the motor essentially sends it's park position back to the relay in intermittent mode so after a single wipe it pauses, it normally stutters like mad when the contact inside the motor which sends the position back is getting manky - usually when the grease inside has become conductive from the wiping of the contacts.

Try the relay first, but I have a funny feeling it's the contacts in the motor, if you're feeling brave, strip the motor down and you should see crap on the contacts which returns the park position.

Might just get one from the scrappy; i've never touched the motor.
Any quick way to access the motor? I've never touched a wiper motor before
Copper contacts just need cleaning / bending a bit, i find the grease in the wiper motor fills up with copper fileings from moving, and becomes conductive over time, you literally just dril the rivits, take cover off, remove dirty grease, re grease, and it will be like new, have done many!
Yeah its usually the motor, have replaced many and not one single relay yet lol.

Its the 2 purple relays for auto-wipers.

I've tried cleaning them and they only worked for another week before failing again. For less hassle and the tenner it costs to replace the whole thing, I just do that.

Remove wiper arms (13mm nuts)
Remove scuttle both sides (3x T20 screws)
Remove triangle cover plate (3x 13mm bolts)
Unplug motor
Remove motor/linkage bolts (6x 10mm bolts)
Lift motor out

Then up to you whether you just stick a good used unit in or strip it down. Smile
(23-04-2014, 12:53 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah its usually the motor, have replaced many and not one single relay yet lol.

Its the 2 purple relays for auto-wipers.

I've tried cleaning them and they only worked for another week before failing again. For less hassle and the tenner it costs to replace the whole thing, I just do that.

Remove wiper arms (13mm nuts)
Remove scuttle both sides (3x T20 screws)
Remove triangle cover plate (3x 13mm bolts)
Unplug motor
Remove motor/linkage bolts (6x 10mm bolts)
Lift motor out

Then up to you whether you just stick a good used unit in or strip it down. Smile

Perfect mate! Just what i needed!

Thanks Darren; will have a go Smile