306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Drilling Tool?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Tried using two sets of holesaws, one from eBay one from BnQ many years ago and neither were up to the job of cutting through my 6mm adapter plate. It just made them blunt instantly.

Can anyone reccomend a tool for the job?

Maybe something coned?
Pillar drill will help a lot aswell tbh, nice slow drill try keeping it lubed aswell it may help? And start small 2 mm or so then upto 4 mm then up again etc, saves 1 big bit doing all the work
I used a cheap hole saw off ebay to do my 10mm adaptor plate (38mm) and it was perfectly up to the job.

Use the low ratio box on your drill and drown it in WD40 constantly, If it gets hot you'll kill it.

Think I needed 3 batteries of my 24v drill to do it although they don't last that long these days.

Also I'd disagree with sebs comment about starting small, as your gonna need to be using a holesaw if you start small then the next size up will have nothing for the center to center on and youll never get it to start cutting a circle
Good point actually, I didn't think about the centre hole haha
Yeah, slow and lubed. Hmmmm
Echoing the above, slow and wet is the way here Big Grin
Decent drill bits. Armeg for holesaws.
Half decent hole saw (The B&Q PTX ones are more than enough) and slow and steady. If you can't ge though it without burning the saw out, your going too fast and not using enough lube (giggidy)
(10-04-2014, 08:48 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Half decent hole saw (The B&Q PTX ones are more than enough) and slow and steady. If you can't ge though it without burning the saw out, your going too fast and not using enough lube (giggidy)

^^^ What captain crayola said. If I can bore through steel almost twice as deep going slow and steady with a f*ck ton of lube and without burning out my bit then anyone can.
Ok so decent holesaws and lots of lube.

Cheers fellas!
And slow! If that lube starts smoking, your going too fast Big Grin
tbh I'd just get my mate to plasma cut them out lol
Vaseline & baby oil!? Big Grin
Wouldn't use WD40 on my man-hood!

Are we talking about cars still...!? ninja
(11-04-2014, 09:53 AM)silverzx Wrote: [ -> ]Vaseline & baby oil!? Big Grin
Wouldn't use WD40 on my man-hood!

Are we talking about cars still...!? ninja

Big GrinTongue haha
Wait you mean I can't use tranny oil when ploughing a tranny?
I used a Starrett one off eBay with twin teeth. Worked a treat
(11-04-2014, 05:45 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: [ -> ]Wait you mean I can't use tranny oil when ploughing a tranny?

CV grease is better Big Grin
What size hole you drilling? this for a turbo adaptor plate? I would just get the grinder out with a decent cutter and cut it like an astrix, then with a worn stone give it a go (for the not so accurate job). Or chain drill it and stamp it out with a hammer and finish off with a grinder.

Or you could do it the proper way with a pillar drill of decent size but not many people have these.
(12-04-2014, 10:12 AM)Dave Wrote: [ -> ]What size hole you drilling? this for a turbo adaptor plate? I would just get the grinder out with a decent cutter and cut it like an astrix, then with a worn stone give it a go (for the not so accurate job). Or chain drill it and stamp it out with a hammer and finish off with a grinder.

Or you could do it the proper way with a pillar drill of decent size but not many people have these.

I like this red-neck approach. Sounds amazing! Big Grin

Yeah it's for adapter plates Dave for the GT2052V:

[Image: IMG_4254_zps5fa76612.jpg]
I've always found wd40 possibly the worst thing ever for cutting metal... It tends to simply lubricate it and get very hot... Just water I find best, just keep dousing it in water...
unsurprising, its not a lube Big Grin bit of 3 in 1 will suffice if you haven't any cutting oil.
Slow and steady and lots of cooling, drills last years this way Tongue

You can kill just about any drill bit in 5 seconds if you cook it heh.
(13-04-2014, 07:07 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: [ -> ]Slow and steady and lots of cooling, drills last years this way Tongue

You can kill just about any drill bit in 5 seconds if you cook it heh.

He knows this, but still every drill bit in the workshop is blue and pink on the tip and couldn't get through a block of lard.
Haha, you just haven been allowed to use my "decent" box of drills yet Ruan Wink thats hidden away for use when "Darrens in a good mood"...IE not 90% of the time on the farm, out field, drilling on the piss, in a rush, smoke pouring off the bit, never a high enough gear in the drill...haha
90% of the time it's a case of get a scaff pole on the pillar drill to get more leverage!!!