306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: broken bleed nipples
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
perennial problem...........but do you have a mig welder??

have used a mig welder ( 100amp machine mart ) to remove broken bleed nipples on alloy calipers before and it has worked successfully.

the 306 rear caliper is alloy, and if the broken bleed nipple stands proud, a mig welder could be used................weld blob ( a 3 second burn full power ) onto end of broken nipple, wait for it to cool a bit and weld a blob to the blob, wait a bit so it cools, then repeat.......finally grind a taper to an 8mm bolt and weld to the large blob............say " please god etc " to the god of your choice and try and remove.

if it shears off, repeat process.......do not allow caliper to get rediculoiusly hot or the rubbers will be damaged ( strip caliper down then mig etc )

have used this method several times and its saved my "bacon" more than once, as well as being cheaper than a new caliper. I have not tried it on a 306 caliper but the bleed nipples are one of the jobs to be done before mot.

I would not dream of doing this on the car as its full of electronics and is basically a computer on wheels, so would remove the caliper to be on the safe side, computers don't like electric welding.

the heat and a large ish leverage seems to free off the threads, mine are soaking in graphited release fluid as we speak.

where can I get new rubbers ( handbrake cable end gaiter, piston dust seal, piston fluid seal ( seals ), slide pin dust seals ) mail order and does the slide pins have replaceable "nylon bushes inside caliper holes " ???

any help ( caliper exploded view?? would be great ) greatly appreciated.

brilliant forumHeart
Best place I've found for seal kits is big red
(07-04-2014, 09:26 PM)306Dan Wrote: [ -> ]Best place I've found for seal kits is big red

Big Red?
Damn iPhone bigg red brakes http://www.biggred.co.uk
Cheers seems fair price on there
thanks my little black book is filling up...will try them......Heart

again, brilliant forum dudes

just had quick look at biggred, the bees knees hopefullyHeartHeart

thanks again brilliant forumHeart