306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Leaning on one side at the back
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My 306 is sitting lower on the offside. I believe the problem to be at the rear, cause there is about 8mm difference at rear and only about 3mm at the front. Visually it's hard to notice so it would not be a problem at all for me, but on higher speeds it has the tendency to wander away to the right. Lots of parts replaced trying to find the problem including another used rear beam together with the mounts (of a straight car - I know, cause it was also mine), brand new all 4 shocks, front springs, arb drop links, steering rods and ends. Before it was worse, now the difference reduced to the mentioned amount, but the problem is still there. Had it on laser wheel alignment thingy - all within the limits. Measured the distances from front of the front to rear of the rear rims - 2390mm on both sides. It looks like the only problem I'm having is - the rear axle mount seats on the body are pushed up higher on the driver's side. Thinking of taking the beam off again and remanufacturing the mounts on the right side - adding 10mm plates under them. Could it help you recon?
I thought there would always be a very slight difference across the beam - just the nature that they are means that they'll never be precisely the same height. 8mm sounds significant though, how are you measuring that dimension?

What about tyres, seems obvious, but are they the same brand / age?

My drivers side sits slightly lower, but not so much that you'd notice it in the handling.
beam probably fcuked mate tbh . . .Smile
Got any pictures? Might help things, something Definatley sounds very f*cked though
disconnect both rear shockers and put car on the floor.
bounce all 4 corners to see if it sits level---if it does a shocker is faulty

if it still leans then look towards adjusting rear torsion bars to level the car up
Thanks for the suggestions, people. As I've mentioned before - I've replaced the whole real axle assembly (the new one came of my other gti6 that is completely straight), so I don't believe it to be the axle. Tires - they are two pairs - front rear different, but left to right paired. I already tried to swap the sides - did not help.
Anyway - I was experimenting a bit last couple of days - I bought two brand new rear axle mounts, cut the right one apart and added a 12mm steel plate (additional 4mm to compensate the force of other three jumping onto rear right torsion bar once it's raised). Bolted it all and welded together, grind the bolt heads off and welded the bolt tops to the bracket to allow the room required for the mount to be fitted. :
[Image: 1614627_10152265210990073_753319078_o.jpg]
[Image: 1781059_10152268972060073_1306733862_o.jpg]

Fitted this altered mount yesterday. Car is nice and completely straight now, but... guess what? it still tends to wander away to the same bloody right... a bit less I must agree, but still does it. The plan for tomorrow is to disconnect the anti roll bar drop links at the front and measure the anti roll bar itself on both sides to see if it's straight (don't know why I did not do that when I was replacing the drop links...) Could it be bent because of continual use of the car with pissed bottom?
auction it!
what the actual flock?!

you don't need to piss about with the mounts, just rebuild the axle.
Weird thing... I've replaced the front wheels all together - swapped them with a pair of my other one and it glides nice and straight... I did mention before - I swapped the sides earlier and it did not change a single thing... Apparently - the problem was in the wheels or one of them, but it puzzles me - why didn't it start to pull the opposite direction?