306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: If you have £1k and a gti6?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I sold my hdi last night and the gti6 is in for mot saturday.
First things are ill be changing cam belt kit, aux belt to rallye, brakes (refurbed calipers) and undersealing the car.
Obviously ill have any things that come up for mot as well.

So I got a few questions...
The later style cam pulleys are they straight bolt on job and why are they better?

Am I better buy peugeot cambelt kit and service parts or decent after market?

im looking at getting the baker bm solid mounts from grants thread, are these make too much vibration, if so are they worth it?

Finally what mods are worth while on the gti6?

Obviously I know exhaust, induction, coilovers and brakes. Im also looking at rose jointed drop links, quick shift and baker bm gear linkages. I already have a set of solid rear beam mounts.
Anything things else anyone would recommend.

The body work isn't great on the car few scratches and dent in one of the rear quaters. So ive decided im going to track spec it, something ive wanted for a long time.

Thanks in advance.
honest answer enjoy the six without spending the 1k
when it breaks and it will
go spend the 1k on another one Big Grin
Sorry cully but the money is there to get the 6 on the road and a few extras :-)

Been looking at other 6s but theyre all high milers with no history. So I might as well stick to the low miler I have with no history. :-)
Gates cambelt kit, get that total 9000 or is it 7000 (oil) that Peugeot recommends for the '6 and get all your filters there aswell. Then get a decent set of matching tyres, solid beam mounts, some decent wishbone bushings and maybe a bwarp filter.
Tyres are one of the best things to improve a car if you have money burning a hole.
(19-03-2014, 10:48 AM)Tom Wrote: [ -> ]Gates cambelt kit, get that total 9000 or is it 7000 (oil) that Peugeot recommends for the '6 and get all your filters there aswell. Then get a decent set of matching tyres, solid beam mounts, some decent wishbone bushings and maybe a bwarp filter.

9000 is the fully-synthetic one iirc, I have a link at home for an ebay seller who sells it at the cheapest price I've found..about 22-23 quid for 5L, there's a link for the correct peugeot oil filter somewhere as well.
Get the correct peugeot gearbox oil as well, it completely transforms the gearchange and the gearbox doesn't seem happy with much else. Use the correct NGK spark plugs as well.
A full service with all of this will make a nice difference.

Things like the clutch cable and possibly the throttle cable should make a nice difference as well, I'm planning on doing these soon myself.

As for solid mounts, I believe they'd remove the passive rear steer that Peugeot designed in...whether or not this is desirable is up to you I guess.

Good tyres are a must as well. If you're not going for an induction kit get a replacement K&N filter for the std. airbox, still makes a nice sound and flows well.
Power wise 1k would easily get second hand bodies and cams.advertised on gti6.com.

brakes ds25000 pretty decent full set of them and brembo's would be £200ish new

Though I'd go for exhaust and induction set up and just enjoy it Smile
Refurbed beam...it's probably f*cked.
(19-03-2014, 11:11 AM)7057sam Wrote: [ -> ]Power wise 1k would easily get second hand bodies and cams.advertised on gti6.com.

Yeah but it wouldn't get the remap as well.

However, I'd love ITBs.
(19-03-2014, 11:11 AM)7057sam Wrote: [ -> ]Power wise 1k would easily get second hand bodies and cams.advertised on gti6.com.

Power mods are a no atm. As for brakes ill be refurbishing the gti brakes and sicking decent pads in.

Will be having a straight through exhaust and obviously induction.

(19-03-2014, 11:30 AM)C.A.R. Wrote: [ -> ]Refurbed beam...it's probably f*cked.

tbh the rear beam is ok, but I plan on refurbishing the gti beam I have over summer.

(19-03-2014, 11:01 AM)RetroPug Wrote: [ -> ]
(19-03-2014, 10:48 AM)Tom Wrote: [ -> ]Gates cambelt kit, get that total 9000 or is it 7000 (oil) that Peugeot recommends for the '6 and get all your filters there aswell. Then get a decent set of matching tyres, solid beam mounts, some decent wishbone bushings and maybe a bwarp filter.

9000 is the fully-synthetic one iirc, I have a link at home for an ebay seller who sells it at the cheapest price I've found..about 22-23 quid for 5L, there's a link for the correct peugeot oil filter somewhere as well.
Get the correct peugeot gearbox oil as well, it completely transforms the gearchange and the gearbox doesn't seem happy with much else. Use the correct NGK spark plugs as well.
A full service with all of this will make a nice difference.

Things like the clutch cable and possibly the throttle cable should make a nice difference as well, I'm planning on doing these soon myself.

As for solid mounts, I believe they'd remove the passive rear steer that Peugeot designed in...whether or not this is desirable is up to you I guess.

Good tyres are a must as well. If you're not going for an induction kit get a replacement K&N filter for the std. airbox, still makes a nice sound and flows well.

Cheers some great information there! Really appreciate it. I thought gates kit would be ok as its oem spec anyway.
Will be ordering all service parts saturday after its failed its mot. :-)

Im not going big power mods with it, it will be a case of upgrading serviceable parts if you get me. :-) drop links, bushes, mounts such things like that.
IMO sell the 6 and use all the money to buy a rallye
(19-03-2014, 03:43 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: [ -> ]IMO sell the 6 and use all the money to buy a rallye

Already been thought of a few times
Lemforder wishbones and balljoints, bilstein b6/b8 + eibach suspension all round, Michelin PE2 or similar £100 + per corner tyre. Sorted.
So I would be getting....

a full stainless system for £100
cage for £300
buckets and frames for £260
braided brake lines £45
an induction kit £15
Corsica wheel and boss £45

And then all your servicing bits. Sorted!
I'd be buying another one, so hopefully only one will be broken at a time and you'll always have a spare. lol
Total 9000 the fully-synthetic version of the two OEM specified oils for this engine. The price has gone up to 24 since I last bought it but that's still a good deal compared to most 5W-40 synthetic oils, let alone the precisely correct one. As for the oil filter you can get genuine ones on ebay sometimes (forgot the part number), or directly from your local peugeot dealership, but any decent quality oil filter that is for this engine should be okay with regular oil changes etc. I use OEM filters personally but I'd be comfortable using good quality alternatives.

BKR6EK is the NGK spark plug for this engine, and this is commonly found on ebay, at car parts stores, the internet in general or in halfords if you want to strip your wallet of weight to make your gti-6 even faster. They are very inexpensive and they work fine, if you change your spark plugs at sensible intervals there's no need for super iridium whatevers. They do not make the car run any better nor make any more power, despite the many claims to the contrary on the internet by people who have difficulty spelling, they do cost more though.

Uniroyal Rainsport 3 36 pounds per corner from camskill...these are in 50 profile and not 55 so have a slightly smaller diameter than OEM, but this makes them extremely cheap for what they are. They are not the best tyres out there, but they are GREAT at this price if you want to get good tyres without blowing the whole budget, they're also ideal for general UK road driving as their wet grip is excellent.

As for gearbox oil, definitely make sure to get the correct BV 75w/80 made by Esso/Total from a peugeot dealer...or somewhere else if you can find the correct one. I bought the correct oil on ebay but that was abroad sadly.

If I think of anything else I'll post that as well. Hope this helps.
f*ck Rainsports, get Michelin pilot sport 3!! Or P Zero Nero :p
(19-03-2014, 07:42 PM)SRowell Wrote: [ -> ]So I would be getting....

a full stainless system for £100
cage for £300
buckets and frames for £260
braided brake lines £45
an induction kit £15
Corsica wheel and boss £45

And then all your servicing bits. Sorted!

pretty much covered what im after there but some of them will be in due time...

(19-03-2014, 07:43 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]I'd be buying another one, so hopefully only one will be broken at a time and you'll always have a spare. lol

thats the best idea ever! But unfortunately I dont really need one car never mind justifying paying for a second one.

(19-03-2014, 07:50 PM)RetroPug Wrote: [ -> ]Total 9000 the fully-synthetic version of the two OEM specified oils for this engine. The price has gone up to 24 since I last bought it but that's still a good deal compared to most 5W-40 synthetic oils, let alone the precisely correct one. As for the oil filter you can get genuine ones on ebay sometimes (forgot the part number), or directly from your local peugeot dealership, but any decent quality oil filter that is for this engine should be okay with regular oil changes etc. I use OEM filters personally but I'd be comfortable using good quality alternatives.

BKR6EK is the NGK spark plug for this engine, and this is commonly found on ebay, at car parts stores, the internet in general or in halfords if you want to strip your wallet of weight to make your gti-6 even faster. They are very inexpensive and they work fine, if you change your spark plugs at sensible intervals there's no need for super iridium whatevers. They do not make the car run any better nor make any more power, despite the many claims to the contrary on the internet by people who have difficulty spelling, they do cost more though.

Uniroyal Rainsport 3 36 pounds per corner from camskill...these are in 50 profile and not 55 so have a slightly smaller diameter than OEM, but this makes them extremely cheap for what they are. They are not the best tyres out there, but they are GREAT at this price if you want to get good tyres without blowing the whole budget, they're also ideal for general UK road driving as their wet grip is excellent.

As for gearbox oil, definitely make sure to get the correct BV 75w/80 made by Esso/Total from a peugeot dealer...or somewhere else if you can find the correct one. I bought the correct oil on ebay but that was abroad sadly.

If I think of anything else I'll post that as well. Hope this helps.

Yet again more brilliant information there. :-) will be like a kid at christmas come Saturday when cars failed its mot ordering parts.

Unfortunately the car decided it doesnt want to start. So tomorrow I have to try and get it running asap. Otherwise it will be delaying mot.
(19-03-2014, 07:57 PM)Tom Wrote: [ -> ]f*ck Rainsports, get Michelin pilot sport 3!! Or P Zero Nero :p

This this this. Rainsports are good but shite in comparison to PS3s
Are ps3 any good in rain?
I would say almost as good as they are in the dry. Car is very very confident in the rain on them. A rated i believe.
(19-03-2014, 09:24 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]I would say almost as good as they are in the dry. Car is very very confident in the rain on them. A rated i believe.

Will have to price a set up. I think seeing as its going track spec, my 17s will be up for sale.
I've been pleasantly surprised by the RS3's tbh, much better than the RS2's imo! Though I do use the correct profiles. Wink
Yokos, toyos, nankangs, etcetc they're all shite when compared to a good michelin!
Theres nothing wrong with a good set of Yokos but the Paradas that everyone buys are just cheap and cheerful. Decent grip but thats about it. If you go near someone watering their garden you will slide off into the nearest ditch.
(19-03-2014, 09:08 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]
(19-03-2014, 07:57 PM)Tom Wrote: [ -> ]f*ck Rainsports, get Michelin pilot sport 3!! Or P Zero Nero :p

Was only suggesting them as a cheaper but still good alternative. My full set delivered and then fitted at kiwk fit cost me only just over 200 pounds all in, if you buy four tyres at 100 per corner then a lot of your 1k budget is already gone.

Was only suggesting them so he's got a range of options at a range of prices rather than "this is the best and most expensive".
(19-03-2014, 11:02 PM)RetroPug Wrote: [ -> ]
(19-03-2014, 09:08 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]

Was only suggesting them as a cheaper but still good alternative. My full set delivered and then fitted at kiwk fit cost me only just over 200 pounds all in, if you buy four tyres at 100 per corner then a lot of your 1k budget is already gone.

Was only suggesting them so he's got a range of options at a range of prices rather than "this is the best and most expensive".

Oh i know. For the money, they are good but as we all know, you only get what you pay for!
Set on toyo proxies on ebay £145 posted. Smile
If I was going to spend a grand on my '6 ,it would have to be suspension.

Genuine Peugeot wishbones/poly bushed wishbones

Bilstein shocks and some decent springs

New droplinks, tie bars and track rod ends

Completely transforms a 306 when everything is new
Convert it to proper fuel.
Pages: 1 2