306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Computer help NEW PROBLEM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Right ill quickly run through what's happened

i broke it.
tried to do a system restore to a previous date
cant restore as error with drive c:
tried to scan and fix drive c: unable to scan while computer is in use, so schedule a scan for start up
task manager has stopped working so cannot schedule scan

i need to system restore it, but cant because of the drive, cant fix the drive as i need the computer, cant schedule as i think i deleted part of it :/
this might help?

[attachment=14271]

[attachment=14272]

this is what it looks like, is the blue normal?

[attachment=14273]
it doesnt do anything after second window, as it cant check for the errors
Normally it should ask you if you want to schedule the disk check for when you next reboot - click "schedule disk check" and then restart the computer and it will then check the disk and hopefully fix the file system error(s)
What the hell is going on there? D: I would just reinstall windows but then you will lose all of your files! This is why i always run two hard drives. one for OS and the other for files Smile
if i can get all my stuff off i dont care what happens to the laptop.

but it has my phone back ups on, and i cant loose those back ups as id loose everything on my phone Sad
anyway to fix this? im a complete computer noob and really need someone to come round and sort it for me ideally haha
What is the exact error message / popup message you get when you click "Start" on the 2nd picture?
its cannot check as c: is in use
Sounds to me like the hard drive might be on the way out. Your best option would likely be to take the drive out of your laptop, and connect it to another machine as a slave device. That way you can scan/fix the errors, and get your data off it as well. If you're lucky, it will just be errors on the drive that are fixable. If you're not....its new hard drive time.

EDIT: May not be very helpful, but if you can get the drive to me, i can connect it to a pc here and do it all for you. Wink
f*ck, thats not what i need. any chance you are near chichester?
Press the windows key and R, then type CMD and hit enter.

You'll get a black box, just type chkdsk and then hit enter, does it do anything?
Not really that close to Chichester mate, I'm in Hastings.

And when I say MIGHT be on the way out, it doesn't mean it definitely is, but it could be. lol
[attachment=14277]
Ah ok, my bad forgot mines already set to run as admin..

Open start menu, type CMD and then when it appears at the top right click it, 'run as administrator'.

Then when it opens type the same thing and if it starts to do something, let it do it
[attachment=14278]
Okay, type chkdsk /f and then type Y when asked if you want to perform this on reboot. then just restart the machine, it should restart and perform the chkdsk, then fix the errors.. in theory.

See how it goes
Right, it's restarting now. Fingers crossed
How will I know if its doing the check and repair? Will it just do it? Or will I see it do it?
[attachment=14280]
got that on start up, does that mean it didn't do it?
Well I'm gunna say that didn't work lol..

I'd suggest backing up all your shit and then just doing a factory recovery from the partition, will more than likely fix it and if it doesn't the HDD is probably scrap
thought as much, can you have a little bit of a research and find out what the f*ck i do about my iphone? its all backed up to this computer, if shift my docs etc over can i shift the back ups? if so where do i find them?

i dont want to plug my phone in and completly loose everything Sad
your backups for the phone will be stored on the machine (in the Itunes folder somewhere iirc?)

However, I've got no idea how you're supposed to restore them after you've wiped the machine.. as itunes seems to have a shit fit and want to delete everything usually even if you've got that machine as 'authorised'
i just relized how cheeky that looks, im asking as computer language fucks my head haha at least you can dumb it down for me