306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Hub swap?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Front left wheel bearings going on my ph1... Is it going to be possible to swap the hub from my old ph3 1.8 onto the ph1 as a temporary fix... Or is it going to be easier to just get the bearing done? I don't have a press..

Cheers
I just swapped my hub for one off eBay saves doing wheel bearing. They're all swappable and fit on to each other as they're all the same but watch out if they're different balljoint sizes.
(04-03-2014, 09:46 PM)Razorback_Rob Wrote: [ -> ]I just swapped my hub for one off eBay saves doing wheel bearing. They're all swappable and fit on to each other as they're all the same but watch out if they're different balljoint sizes.

ahhh nice one Smile Guessing that's pretty obvious? Is there any way to find out before I take them off? Ones a ph1 d turbo and the others a ph3 1.8 meridian
Ph3 is more likely to be 18mm ball joint and ph1 16mm, but they could be the same... measuring is the only way to know
(04-03-2014, 09:52 PM)Connor Wrote: [ -> ]Ph3 is more likely to be 18mm ball joint and ph1 16mm, but they could be the same... measuring is the only way to know

Alright cheers... I'll have a look
Take the ball joint with it if needs be
(04-03-2014, 10:01 PM)306Dan Wrote: [ -> ]Take the ball joint with it if needs be

Is that possible? Haven't really looked at it to be honest and haven't done anything like it before... I'll look for a guide somewhere Smile
If its an OEM wishbone the ball joints are bolted on....but will be rusty as hell lol and the torx will just round off when you counterhold it.

Aftermarket arms sometimes have them riveted on which is obviously more difficult to remove.
Aye like said commonly ph1 were 16 and ph3 are 18 but not guaranteed. To measure undo the pinch bolt at bottom of the hub and take the joint out measure the balljoint and see if they are both the same if so you'll be fine to swap if not you'll need to swap the balljoint when doing the hub. But like I said I got 2 hubs with near new bearings in off a phase 3 gti-6 for 40 quid fitted on instead of getting new bearings done and also my old hubs were shredding the bolts so if you can get replacements with the bearings already done much easier Smile
I'd say your easiest option here would be to swap both front hubs for your ph3 ones as you don't want a car with odd balljoint sizes on different sides.

Unless you know someone with a press who would just replace the bearing in the original hub? Might not be that expensive if you remove the hub and get the correct bearing and take the lot to a garage
(05-03-2014, 09:16 AM)ozonehostile Wrote: [ -> ]I'd say your easiest option here would be to swap both front hubs for your ph3 ones as you don't want a car with odd balljoint sizes on different sides.

Unless you know someone with a press who would just replace the bearing in the original hub? Might not be that expensive if you remove the hub and get the correct bearing and take the lot to a garage

I think I may know someone with a press, I'll go find out today Smile if not I'll look at swapping them both or just paying a garage to press the bearing out... Thanks for the help Smile