306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Plasti-dip
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone on here tried doing their car themselves yet? Just wondering if it is as easy as the videos make out?!
A bloke at work showed me a video of this earlier and it seemed alright.

Just what happens when wind catches a corner of it and it begins to almost self peal? It's not designed to be a long term job though is it?
Wind won't peel it off. You really need to pick at it to get it off.

I want to do my car but lack of funds and lack of a finished car does not help.

I think it is easier than spraying with paint but I think it will take getting use to.
So when you spray it off and you cut or peel it off and edge of let's say a headlight, what's stopping air getting under it? It's not designed for prolonged use.
Can just imagine it peeling off in the wind. Rofl that would be funny.

It's too sticky to allow wind under it. really.
Cos it's not connected to the headlight from the wing. So no where to get underneath.
Mehh i wouldn't trust or like anything like that on my car, just personally.
(28-02-2014, 07:44 PM)ADV_93 Wrote: [ -> ]Mehh i wouldn't trust or like anything like that on my car, just personally.

be just like a wrap, and they can last for years.
Everything gets damaged sooner or later, be it stone chips, a crash or some prick with a key.
Me and donkeybubles are dipping two 306's in the next few weeks, once we get the mixes right we shall be offering our services, when fully cured its if not more durable than wrap.
Are you not just buying the dip from plastidip UK?

I know of a few companies using other brands that have had bad reviews.
It's bloody expensive but a good idea
It's not that expensive compared to paint or wrap. Companies will go a full car from £350.
It's expensive per can.

Haven't looked into whole car as I don't need to, but can by can works out more than buying a roll of vinyl.
That's why you wouldn't use a can to spray a whole car.

If you had to buy the kit and spray and do if yourself your looking at around £450.
The uk spec plasti-dip is not the same as us plasti-dip which is why we are sourcing ours from the usa. More hasstle and expense but a much more professional finish. We are experimenting with differeant pigments at the mo and will be testing them soon, will be sure to update you all. In the meantime we can dip small things like interior trim, bonnets , roofs etc, we also do vinyl wrap.
It is the same if you get it from plasti dip uk. They are the distributors here.

Comes direct from performix.
(28-02-2014, 10:27 PM)JJtheHITMAN Wrote: [ -> ]The uk spec plasti-dip is not the same as us plasti-dip which is why we are sourcing ours from the usa. More hasstle and expense but a much more professional finish. We are experimenting with differeant pigments at the mo and will be testing them soon, will be sure to update you all. In the meantime we can dip small things like interior trim, bonnets , roofs etc, we also do vinyl wrap.

I'll be interested to see the cars you do, I'll keep an eye out for when you post them up. Are you just buying one of the 'do it yourself' kits?
i'm doing mine in yellow from Frosts - their liquid wrap is a fab product, easily as good as the US plastidip (having tried both) and is also slightly cheaper... check out my project post Smile
How far does a can of the liquid wrap go, John? One can cover a set of cyclones say?
nah, you'd be looking at 3ish for a good covering on a set of 4, about the same as plastidip, 2 cans roughly does a bonnet

tbf they do 'wheel kits' on the bay, plenty of different colours

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Liquid-Wrap-gu...20dcf0e827

a lot of the 'brighter' colours come with a white basecoat
Ah ok, I'm too tight to spend that much on them then haha.
lol i'm gonna be getting the spray station for it as well, so i can spray it from a full big can and do the full car in one go Smile

so if anyone wants it doing in the summer.... just bring the paint Smile
Uk spec plasti dip (which is produced in turkey) conforms to EU laws, where as us spec plasti dip doesn't and is produced using different additives and thinners , it provides more thicker coverage. One can is typical 5 litres or in US 1 gallon. You need 3 gallon to do a typical sized car properly, trust me iv tryed all

(01-03-2014, 06:10 PM)JJtheHITMAN Wrote: [ -> ]Uk spec plasti dip (which is produced in turkey) conforms to EU laws, where as us spec plasti dip doesn't and is produced using different additives and thinners , it provides more thicker coverage. One can is typical 5 litres or in US 1 gallon. You need 3 gallon to do a typical sized car properly, trust me iv tryed all
Right me and jjthehitman have been trailing and testing lots of diffrent types of plastidip over several months now and have not found anythink wich stands against the Original us plastidip in looks/durability/coverage but everyone has there own a pinion on this and hope to post you some results up soon?