306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Taking the crank pulley off?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all im trying to sell this hdi, so I may as well put the 407 crank pulley on. but how do I do it? Engine just turns over :O Is there a way of locking the engine for me to crack the bolt off?

Also do I need to undo both tensioners to remove the belt?
You need an impact gun...

Alternatively put it in gear and get a mate to hold the brakes on while you undo it....

As for the tensioners, the sprung one you can push back and lock in place. Theres no need to touch the other one if you're using the same belt.
you sould be able to put a socket rachet in the spring adjuster and get enough slack to run the belt off
as for undoing the bolt put car into 5th use a socket and long breaker bar should shift it
idealy air rattle gun it off
My air gun not got a very good rating when it comes to bolts like that, so that ones out the question. I will have to try the other way! People are trying to knock 200 off my asking price due to the crank pulley! Pretty damn cheeky
Decent bar in the to jam it and get someone to flick the ignition on so it spins
if youve got the pulley take it to a garage its less than half hours work
(25-02-2014, 11:00 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: [ -> ]Decent bar in the to jam it and get someone to flick the ignition on so it spins

Wouldn't you risk knocking the timing out lol?

(25-02-2014, 11:00 PM)cully Wrote: [ -> ]if youve got the pulley take it to a garage its less than half hours work

Cars off the road uninsured now. Would be me spending money just to sell it Sad
Don't think so just a quick chug worked tbh.
(25-02-2014, 11:01 PM)underground375 Wrote: [ -> ][

Wouldn't you risk knocking the timing out lol?

yes it would as the aux crank pulley locks the crank cambelt pulley

the crank cambelt pulley has an elongated keyway to tak up the belt strech
the crank is locked at the flywheel for timming not the pulley

the HDI is different to the XU10
XU10 camshaft pulleys float to take up strech
DW10 the crank cambelt pulley floats to take up strech
6mm drill bit/Allen key behind the starter motor lock the crank off through flywheel then crack the bolt off
(25-02-2014, 11:10 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: [ -> ]6mm drill bit/Allen key behind the starter motor lock the crank off through flywheel then crack the bolt off

break the drill/allen key off and be in a whole world of shit ask ginge Wink
Yeah dont lock the fly and work off that...thats asking for trouble.

In gear, foot on the brakes.
hi did you manage to sort the pulley
Need a can of man up, i've cracked one off with a half inch ratchet. It was bloody hard work and i think i done a poo, but it can be done. Could really do with someone on the brake though, i tried it with a few bits of wood but couldnt push the pedal hard enough with it.
Don't know how ginge did it, done literally hundreds of cambelt changes always locked the fly off with a alle key and undone the pulley with breaker bar

Had a 4mm bolt in there once as I had no 6mm and my mate tried starting the car by accident, bent the bolt but didn't snap so how you can shear a 6mm Allen key by breaker bar is beyond me

I've never had issues
I did mine not that long ago and i just had it in gear ( 5th iirc ) and a mate putting the brakes on, and it came undone with a breaker bar no problem.
Make sure you adjust the manual tensioner properly before releasing the auto tebsioner, else you'll end up as another snapped aux belt thread.