306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: knocking at front of car
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys quick question I have a knocking noise from my engine bay on drivers side. The speed of knocking increases on acceleration. What could it be?

On a side note I have just done CAMBELT KIT and aux belt tensioner and idler could it be that is knocking
(18-02-2014, 11:45 PM)camoturd Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys quick question I have a knocking noise from my engine bay on drivers side. The speed of knocking increases on acceleration. What could it be?

On a side note I have just done CAMBELT KIT and aux belt tensioner and idler could it be that is knocking

sounds like it mate, i wouldn't be driving it until you find out tbqh . .Smile
Does it increase relative to engine speed or to road speed?
Engine speed
Get light between the engine and inner bay and see if anything is hitting
Yeah its is strange if it was anywhere else I would of thought it was a tappet

Bit have noticed it starts at about 2500 rpm and dies at 4000 rpm and happens under heavy acceleration
Take aux belt off.

If noise dissapears then its on the aux setup
Ok will do that
Could be.injectors worn on hdi
Have a light tapping noise under load up until around 3200rpm usually?
I did changed injectors and.noise gone
(19-02-2014, 09:48 PM)Jimbo Wrote: [ -> ]Could be.injectors worn on hdi
Have a light tapping noise under load up until around 3200rpm usually?
I did changed injectors and.noise gone

Is that quiet a normal problem then
What youre describing sounds nothing like injectors.

It doesn't sound good though, is your crank pulley all good?
No idea how to tell if it's not
Sorry for the thread hijack but ive a knock from my front drivers well when turning, theres a couple of wee knocks when youve the wheel turned fully right and turning tight ie swinging the car round in a carpark my initial thought was droplinks?
Could be CV joint if it only happens when turning.
Crank pulley yo.
(20-02-2014, 12:15 PM)C2K Wrote: [ -> ]Crank pulley yo.

So are you saying it could be the crank pulley then?
Get the drivers side in the air and take the front wheel off. Have a look at the pulley with the engine running, if its knackered it'll wobble or run off-centre, there'll probably be rust marks and perishing too.
(20-02-2014, 04:35 PM)Poodle Wrote: [ -> ]Get the drivers side in the air and take the front wheel off. Have a look at the pulley with the engine running, if its knackered it'll wobble or run off-centre, there'll probably be rust marks and perishing too.

Ah fair enough I will do that when I change the wheels over as it 9 nay started after doing the aux tensioner and idler so it could be the crank pully as I changed the bolt that holds it on but not the pulley it's self