306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Cherry red paint
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Getting a new bumper soon but it is blue so will need a paint.

The only place I know of to get cherry red paint is halfords and its 6.50 for a 300ml can, which seems quite a lot especially when I need quite a few.

Is there anywhere cheaper around?
Realistically you would need to get it made up as a custom order?

My first thought would be to suggest a local body repairs shop, they may be able to supply just the paint. I doubt it would be in aerosol form though, you would need a spray gun.
Halfords cherry red is notorious for being 90% wrong
Either get a body shop or pug sell good matches
Owning a cherry myself, don't buy cherry red paint and spray. Get it colour matched using swatches at a body shop. Your paint will have faded and will be nothing like brand new cherry red.
Ian - This is my friend who's interested in your spare bumper! Smile
Ahh I see, Ill take some pics of it later today. See what you think.
As said, get paint mixed to match the colour of the car by a local paint shop! that way you can be sure it will match and most will sell you it in rattle cans Smile

Halfords paint won't be 90% wrong, if it was matching fresh paint then it would be spot on, thing is the paint on the car is 10+ years old so will have faded/weathered maybe just a little bit in that time! :roll:

It still amuses me how people blame Halfords paint for being shit when most of the time its the person spraying it, there really is nothing wrong with it! But if you expect the paint mixed to the original colour code to match paint that has been on the car for years then I'm worried!
Said bumper, as i said to Dan last night it isnt perfect but it is cherry red and Ph3, and the mounting tabs are perfect Smile

[Image: 2012-03-12101349.jpg]

Scuff
[Image: 2012-03-12101355.jpg]

Scuff
[Image: 2012-03-12101408.jpg]

Scuff and hairline crack
[Image: 2012-03-12101418.jpg]

For sale if you want it
I reckon he'd have that Ian!

Il text him now and tell him to check this thread Smile
Ok mate nice one.
Thanks for the paint advice guys. I think getting it mixed would probably be a bit pricey for me so i may stick to halfords paint. It's for the rear bumper and the rear of my car has been resprayed so it shouldn't look too out of place.

I was also going to paint side skirts but they probably would look out of place, so if anyone has some cherry skirts for sale let me know!

Ian, bumper looks in pretty good nick, and Dans given me your number so ill give you a ring this eve.
Getting a can or two mixed will, a) match the car and, b) more than likely be cheaper than Halfords though!

If the rear has been sprayed they will have matched it to the rest of the car when they did it mate if it was done properly!

If you really CBA to get some matched properly then http://www.auto-paint.co.uk are cheaper than Halfords Wink but I would seriously advise you get some mixed as red's are notoriously bad for fading!
I'll look into getting some mixed then. I just assumed getting paint mixed would be quite costly. If I did get some which wasn't in an aerosol can, how bigger compressor would I need to use a spray gun. I've been told a 25l compressor wouldn't be up to it?
Ben Wrote:I'll look into getting some mixed then. I just assumed getting paint mixed would be quite costly. If I did get some which wasn't in an aerosol can, how bigger compressor would I need to use a spray gun. I've been told a 25l compressor wouldn't be up to it?

Its more if you compressor has a high enough flow rate for the spray gun you are using, size is somewhat irrelevant! although I would say that bigger than 25L would be best since if it runs out part way though it can spit paint drips and ruin the finish!