306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Tyre Fuel Efficiency Ratings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Evening,

Has anyone else noticed this on Rainsport 3's, 55 profiles are C for efficiency, and 50 profiles are E for efficiency....how is that possible!? Confused

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m53b0s288p1116...se%3A_71dB

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m53b0s99p11161...se%3A_71dB

Tom
Maybe something to do with the fact they are a budget tyre? Only get what you pay for.
sidewall stiffness probably, the taller tyre has a significantly higher load rating.

they aren't a budget tyre, mid range.
But they're the SAME tyre...just a bit more sidewall, so how can there be a difference in economy. Confused

(11-02-2014, 05:41 PM)welshpug Wrote: [ -> ]sidewall stiffness probably, the taller tyre has a significantly higher load rating.

Hmm, good point. I assumed they'd just measure one tyre of each (like one RS3, one T1R, one P6000 etc). Didn't realise they'd measure (or at least simulate) all difference sizes like that.

As for being a budget tyre....wouldn't call them that myself, how many other budget tyres have an A rated wet grip? Tongue
I think they do have to rate every size as it also goes towards efficiency ratings of cars that might use a particular tyre as the standard tyre from the factory and obviously not every manufacturer is going to use one size of tyre.
Yeah that's true I guess, hadn't really thought of it like that!

Wonder if it does save anything noticeable to go for the 55's...as they're £15 more to buy, but if they saved double that it'd be worth the extra initial cost. It's something we'll never know tbf though!
Tbh i don't think there is a huge difference. i went from Eagle F1s on the 6 which are a D on fuel efficiency to pilot sport 3s which are a F on fuel efficiency and there is no difference at all in fuel consumption. Its as shit as it was before lol
Lol, I did notice mine drop a couple of mpg when I changed to T1Rs on the 1.4...not sure why, as they werent exactly grippy lol. But then it also depends how long the tyres last and how you drive, so its always going to be an unknown. I may have driven harder with the new rubber for example...
T1Rs are brilliant...when they have about 500 miles on them. Then they just seem to go rapidly down hill.
Lol, agree'd. Hated their 'snatch' at the limit as well. And being on 306s (4 of them haha) the edges wore off pretty quick too...

[Image: BreakingChinaEstate048_zps310771e1.jpg]