306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Meet the HDi's replacement :-)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Had my HDi for 9 years now and it's about time for a change. It will feel like chopping my own arm off when she goes but for several reasons i needed to make the change.

I got a promotion early last year and don't get anywhere near as much time as I did so I wanted to downsize the fleet. I needed a 5 door, I wanted a few creature comforts these days and I will be finishing commuting soon. Having sold the TVR with the intention of buying something newer I got a bit carried away and decided to treat myself for all the hard work I did when I was overseas.

[Image: IMAG1570.jpg]
[Image: IMAG1572.jpg]

Brand spanking new Golf GTD in Night Blue, arrived at the dealers this morning hence the transport wrap. InloveInloveInlove Xenons up front, led's at the back, leather, adaptive cruise control, dynamic chassis control (adjustable dampers), climate control, Dynaudio, touch screen stereo and tons of gadgets!

Fully treated myself! Settled on it as I wanted a sporty diesel but wanted a manual as I didn't like the DSG. I looked at a new Merc A class but wasn't happy that you couldn't have a manual in anything but pov spec derv.

Can't play with it til March 1st though as it is going to be a 14 plate. It was only supposed to arrive in 8 weeks from now, but the order was pulled forward.
Very nice! Saw one in black the other day. What's the stats on it? The black on I saw seemed to be fairly quick when a guy took off from some traffic lights, I had to look twice to see what model it was.
181bhp, 280 lb/ft. There are already tuning boxes that take them up to 237bhp but i've no need for that at the moment lol.

Twin exhaust on the left is a GTD, one exhaust each side is a GTI which is 217bhp (or 227 with performance pack).
His had gtd so I'll assume he had that pack on. But lovely car mate I pick my car up in march and cannot wait!
Very nice, wouldn't have been my first choice to be fair, but very nice nonetheless - you just know with those options it's not going to depreciate half as fast!!!

Interesting choice on the GTD though... They seemed to be a bit much - but they're a nice car for sure.
Cheers. They are steep but what the press dont show is how much you get as standard that the competition make you pay for, like cruise and xenons. You dont need to add too much, just personal taste. I didnt pay anywhere near list, got just over 9 percent discount, Peterborough vw have been very helpful. You can get up to 12 percent through drive the deal, but car can literally be anywhere, this is on my doorstep... quite literally.

I had a 1.6 tdi hire car for a week that got me thinking before I went to dubai in october, as it was a nice place to be. Loved the gtd from first sight, even though mk7s are a bit plain in standard form, but golfs are one of the most depreciation resistant things you can buy, not that im worried.. Fits the bill nicely for me, and didnt want a barge at this point in time. Not too much choice for sporty manual diesel hatches it seems, that I liked anyway lol. Demand is so high ex demos are fetching more than new build!!
I hate modern cars but that is a nice looking thing and 237bhp mapped with 60mpg is impressive Smile
Not sure you'd get those concurrently lol. Take the 67mpg quoted with a big pinch of salt, the tests are a con! Our mini is allegedly good for 81mpg urban, lifetime average is 67mpg despite it living on the motorway.
Nice one Simon! Big Grin

Might be a good idea to ask if you can keep the blue foam though....will be gutting when some knobend inevitably dings it in a car park. Dodgy
Love it, nice colour too, it's almost purple-y in the second pic.

It's what most of us would spec if we had the money. That's a big difference because we'd be trying to justify it against what our cars cost us - ie. peanuts!

Provided you keep it for as long as the HDi ( 8 years wasn't it?!).
Very nice mate,enjoy it when you pick it up in march Wink
Nice car pity about the dealership you got it from
After sales support from the robinsons group is shocking!!
Expect lots of calls towards the end of this month and end of feb to too register early, they will offer you extra discounts, free accesories and free servicing
The reason they changed the design of golfs apart from with the times is that the latest version costs them something like 15% less to make than the previous one! or so i am lead to believe.
Looks nice. Really nice colour.
Don't expect to get that 68mpg though. my work car is supposed to be capable of 80mpg. Ive had over 80mpg once on the m4 doing 55mph for the entire trip to bath because i really couldn't be asked to drive any faster lol.
Normally i get 45mpg but that is around town and i don't hang about normally.
I don't get why they advertise 80mpg because I doubt anyone can get that on the road... Then again if they showed true figures it would make them look worse and they couldn't be doing that.
(10-01-2014, 04:42 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Nice one Simon! Big Grin

Might be a good idea to ask if you can keep the blue foam though....will be gutting when some knobend inevitably dings it in a car park. Dodgy

yeah I await the inevitability that is careless twats!

(10-01-2014, 04:45 PM)C.A.R. Wrote: [ -> ]Love it, nice colour too, it's almost purple-y in the second pic.

It's what most of us would spec if we had the money. That's a big difference because we'd be trying to justify it against what our cars cost us - ie. peanuts!

Provided you keep it for as long as the HDi ( 8 years wasn't it?!).
first sentence says 9 lol. Its a very well equipped car actually, most of the good stuff is standard. Ive chosen wheels, colour, stereo upgrade, leather, adjustable dampers and winter pack

(10-01-2014, 04:53 PM)swampy Wrote: [ -> ]Nice car pity about the dealership you got it from
After sales support from the robinsons group is shocking!!
Expect lots of calls towards the end of this month and end of feb to too register early, they will offer you extra discounts, free accesories and free servicing

He wont bother ringing, he's known since day 1 that I wanted it as a 14 plate. I dont need after sales, I want the car, and given im moving to warwickshire in a bit it doesnt really matter anyway.

not sure yours is the best word in after sales service...Nospeak

(10-01-2014, 04:55 PM)SRowell Wrote: [ -> ]The reason they changed the design of golfs apart from with the times is that the latest version costs them something like 15% less to make than the previous one! or so i am lead to believe.

yup, the new mqb platform. You can watch videos about it on youtube. Handles well!

(10-01-2014, 05:13 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Looks nice. Really nice colour.
Don't expect to get that 68mpg though. my work car is supposed to be capable of 80mpg. Ive had over 80mpg once on the m4 doing 55mph for the entire trip to bath because i really couldn't be asked to drive any faster lol.
Normally i get 45mpg but that is around town and i don't hang about normally.

Yeah not a chance, I already know that. The test is such a lie! First new car though, im buzzing. Tick in a box there!
Bet it's frustrating knowing it's sat at the dealers waiting. As already said, I wonder if they will push you to take a 63 plate?
Can't beat a new car... Well you can but you know what I mean.
Promised myself 1 new car in my life at least, quite exciting waiting for it, especially with the vw order tracker to play with.

It's not bothering me that its there, only 6 weeks to wait. Smile
(10-01-2014, 06:03 PM)Chris28190 Wrote: [ -> ]Bet it's frustrating knowing it's sat at the dealers waiting. As already said, I wonder if they will push you to take a 63 plate?

Having worked for the dealership group and knowing the area boss mr leavsly he will be pushing the sales manger to offer you a vast array of goodies to register as a 63 plate as they are well below target for this month and next.
306 + TVR < Brand new Golf....?

Nah sorry, don't get it. I'm glad your happy though, leaves more decent cars for us. Big Grin
Lol, you're looking a little green there. Enjoy your deathtrap..

The TVR, whilst looking and sounding fantastic, was a practicality nightmare. On this godforsaken island which we live, we are only graced with a period of 4 months in which you can realistically enjoy the car, aside from that it's an expensive garage ornament and something which is continually in the way when you want to do something. Not to mention it costs a bit more than a 306 to service. It's a tick in the box, I always said i'd own one, but you start to question yourself when you have something worth 20+K in the garage and you're driving around in a quarter million mile plus car that needs constant TLC that's worth less than the tyres you put on it. Given I have a history of back problems and am a 3 hour drive from my family, i'd rather be doing that drive in the comfort of a heated leather armchair, on cruise, with a premium stereo thanks. My choice, i've served my time in a 306, after 9 years and 200 thousand miles I fancy a new place to be. Besides, I always promised myself one new car in my life at least, may as get the thing most depreciation resistant. Wink

If you don't like it, nobody forced you to post did they. Wink
Hahaha nah i'm just a bit of a weirdo tbh, genuinely don't fancy new cars, not interesting enough for me. (Having mentally examined this statement and what i think i mean by it, it seems i must consider the level of "interesting" as directly related to it's likelihood of breaking down lol.)

Don't get me wrong, it's quite pleasant cruising around in a top-spec, brand new luxo-barge like the golf and i think i get why you've got one, but it's just not something i'd chose to buy. I'm not sure i'd ever buy a new car at all tbh, maybe my view will change when i'm in a more financially comfortable position, but i doubt it. It doesn't help that the moment you drive it off the forecourt it loses ~30%, regardless of how depreciation proof it's meant to be, and i can't stand wasting money. Seriously, it's like an allergic reaction - i have to bite my tongue when i see someone throwing their sandwich crusts away, and yes i realise how sad that is! lol

Nobody forced me to post, but i didn't realise i wasn't allowed to either. I haven't come in here with the intention of putting down your new purchase or denouncing everything with a vag badge, just a daft comment, apologies if it upset you. That said, if you don't like someone posting an alternative opinion, don't post a new golf on a 306 forum! Wink
Nicee
Forgot I had made this thread. Picked it up yesterday, made a thread here:

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-21813.html

Could a mod or admin merge that thread in here please.