306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Track car
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on purchasing a track day 306 Gti-6. I've got a mate who can get cost price car parts and we are looking to buy a standard Gti-6 as a starter. I guess I know all the general things to look out for but i do have some more specific questions that I wonder if you guys could help me with.

I'm thinking that it'll actually be cheaper to have my track car 'off the road' rather than pay insurance, tax etc. Has anyone had experience of this and how easy is it to trailer it around? Also how much would you pay for a trailer?

How much would you look to spend on the car itself?

Are there specific things people have found harmful/beneficial when purchasing a track day project?

I'm pretty sure I understand the basics of modifying a car for the track. Is there anything that is incredibly important but maybe more subtle?

i appreciate any answers that you may have.
I bought a 306Gti6 which had a lowered suspension, stripped interior, a full rollcage and track day tyres.

This served me well, handled well and brought a grin to my face.

I have spent time and money and now have a big smile on my face.

My lesson for you is this:
You can buy a running 306Gti (std) for £800.
Add what I believe are necessary (cage, track tyres, suspension and uprated brakes) amd you'll have little change from £3000 in total!

By a "Track-ready" car from a site like this for £2000 or under and you save £1000 and a whole lot of hassle and wasted time.

Up to you of course.

Decent trailer = £1000
Insurance = £350
Tax = £220

Ability to drive your fun track car on the road = priceless.

I hope that helps.

Paul
(10-01-2014, 12:51 AM)BigTallPaul Wrote: [ -> ]I bought a 306Gti6 which had a lowered suspension, stripped interior, a full rollcage and track day tyres.

This served me well, handled well and brought a grin to my face.

I have spent time and money and now have a big smile on my face.

My lesson for you is this:
You can buy a running 306Gti (std) for £800.
Add what I believe are necessary (cage, track tyres, suspension and uprated brakes) amd you'll have little change from £3000 in total!

By a "Track-ready" car from a site like this for £2000 or under and you save £1000 and a whole lot of hassle and wasted time.

Up to you of course.

Decent trailer = £1000
Insurance = £350
Tax = £220

Ability to drive your fun track car on the road = priceless.

I hope that helps.

Paul

Thanks for your reply mate. Quickly, as it's late, does the car have to be MOT'd, tax'd and have insurance to race on a track? I was thinking I could save bundles by carting it around on a trailer and having none of these.
To be allowed on track you need just 4 things:-

Helmet
Arms and legs covered
Current driving licence
Car must be under the noise level at 75% of max revs.
(95db is the lowest I have attended, 105db the highest)

I have not known anyone fail this test.

MOT, Tax and insurance not required.

go here for more info www.trackdaya.co.uk

Paul
If this is still for sale I think it would be a good buy:
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/m...oy/1887634

It was built and owned buy a guy on the gti 6 forum. Here's the build thread:
http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=124722
Welcome