306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: 306 HDI Rear Disc Brake to Drum Brake Setup Switch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Would it be possible to replace the rear disc brakes with drum brakes from another 306 on my 1999 306 HDI GLX?
Thanks to all that reply
Yes but I cant see any logic in doing so
Someone will probably pay you to swap axles haha
how hard would it be? Mainly because my rear disc brakes keep sticking... reducing my mpg by 5 or 6 ish and so I have to replace the rear discs and pads every 2 years
Just swap axles over, easy to do
Well overhaul the.brakes so they.dont stick..
(01-01-2014, 08:26 PM)Jimbo Wrote: [ -> ]Well overhaul the.brakes so they.dont stick..

bit of a pain having to do it quite often

(01-01-2014, 08:24 PM)Craigus Wrote: [ -> ]Just swap axles over, easy to do

Ok thanks, didn't think it would be a straight swap over, thought there would be more to it than that
er.... replace the rear calipers? I paid £10 for a pair. Its easy to swap calipers and if its a good pair it wont stick.

Id advise against fitting a drum rear beam if the calipers are the only problem!
(01-01-2014, 08:36 PM)SRowell Wrote: [ -> ]er.... replace the rear calipers? I paid £10 for a pair. Its easy to swap calipers and if its a good pair it wont stick.

Id advise against fitting a drum rear beam if the calipers are the only problem!

tried replacing the calipers already, what else would you suggest rather than fitting a new axle with drum brakes? try another pair of calipers?
Drum brakes are much better, they lock up unlike disc brakes.
Only down side is maintenence of them
If you have replace the calipers but they are sticking, either new calipers are rubbish, they need a service, cables are seizing or the pads arent being fitted correctly
Drum's are shite.

They will bind more than callipers as the 'autoadjusters' don't adjust properly and they are a pain in the ass to setup right. Callipers require no setting up at all and won't bind if they're clean.

Plus when the material falls off the shoe it'll lock the drum solid and you'll have to call the AA..... Common problem in the winter with drums (so the AA guy told me)!

Yes drums lock up so you can do handbrake turns....but that really is the only upside to them!
drums are awesome, maintenance is easy, and you don't need to touch them particularly often at all, theyre nice and enclosed away from the elements.
(01-01-2014, 09:03 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]If you have replace the calipers but they are sticking, either new calipers are rubbish, they need a service, cables are seizing or the pads arent being fitted correctly

Ok thanks for the info, Il have to investigate

(01-01-2014, 09:07 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Drum's are shite.

They will bind more than callipers as the 'autoadjusters' don't adjust properly and they are a pain in the ass to setup right. Callipers require no setting up at all and won't bind if they're clean.

Plus when the material falls off the shoe it'll lock the drum solid and you'll have to call the AA..... Common problem in the winter with drums (so the AA guy told me)!

Yes drums lock up so you can do handbrake turns....but that really is the only upside to them!

Thanks for the info, looks like I will be sticking with disc brakes on the rear then!
I'm with welshpug on drum brakes.
I've 2 x 205's one on drums and one on discs and I get more grief with the discs

@toms306 have you ever actually ran drum brakes? Or you repeating what you've heard off others?
my BMW has both Big Grin
(01-01-2014, 09:22 PM)Paul_13 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm with welshpug on drum brakes.
I've 2 x 205's one on drums and one on discs and I get more grief with the discs

@toms306 have you ever actually ran drum brakes? Or you repeating what you've heard off others?

tom and I both had 306 1.4s as our first cars so yes... yes we have both had drum brakes.
Ive had drum brakes...

On a little 205/106 imo discs are pointless on the back but on a 306 drums arent worth the hassle...discs and calipers if setup right are the way to go
(01-01-2014, 09:32 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]Ive had drum brakes...

On a little 205/106 imo discs are pointless on the back but on a 306 drums arent worth the hassle...discs and calipers if setup right are the way to go

rep'd, sounds good, defo staying with discs then, cheers!