306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: front drivers side hub change
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wondering how easy this is to, and anyone got any tips?

Cheers Titch
Pretty easy, loads of wd40 and a large lump hammer to split the hub from the shock Smile
(16-12-2013, 05:40 PM)underground375 Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty easy, loads of wd40 and a large lump hammer to split the hub from the shock Smile

Nice one thanks, my shocks were replaced not that long ago so hopefully shouldn't be to bad.

I got a feeling that the hub where the ball joint goes in has ovaled, going to have a look this week and see for sure.
(16-12-2013, 05:40 PM)underground375 Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty easy, loads of wd40 and a large lump hammer to split the hub from the shock Smile

Absolutely no need for a lump hammer. Get a sump plug (8mm square drive), stick it in the back of the hub where it clamps the shock. 19mm ring spanner and turn the plug 90'. It'll spread the clamp as you turn and the hub will come off, sometimes with a wiggle. Never needed a hammer to take them off!
Risk chewing up the hub and a perfectly good tool doing it that way ino

Bfo ftw has no option but to come off Smile
Well ive learned something new today Big Grin
35mm socket and a scafold tube to undo the drive shaft nut it will be very tight!
(17-12-2013, 01:04 PM)cully Wrote: [ -> ]35mm socket and a scafold tube to undo the drive shaft nut it will be very tight!

Cheers fellas looking for a 35mm socket now, i have an impact gun so hopefully that will do it, if not the i have a bit of tube on standby!
(17-12-2013, 12:36 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: [ -> ]Risk chewing up the hub and a perfectly good tool doing it that way ino

Bfo ftw has no option but to come off Smile

You risk damaging the hub by smacking it with a lump hammer, plus excessive pulling the top mounts/shock. The sump plug tool is high grade steel. I've had mine for 6 years now, and has removed countless hubs form 205s/306s and none have been damaged on the clamp.
Got a 35mm socket, just fitted a new bearing to my second hand hub.
Just a quick question when re fitting the new hub how do you correctly align it?

Titch
(22-12-2013, 12:33 AM)titch Wrote: [ -> ]Just a quick question when re fitting the new hub how do you correctly align it?

Titch

umm not sure what the question is referring too

the complete hub slides onto the shock tube until it hits the stop alignment pin on the back of the shock tube

the TRE only fits into a hole on the hub and has a nut to secure it

and the lower ball joint slides in enough to insert the locking pinch bolt

the drive shaft slides into the hub bearing and the 35mm nut pulls it tight

be carfull not to pull the driveshafts out the gearbox or you will loose gearbox oil
securing the passengers drive shaft with a bungee cord will stop any oil coming out once you've got the shaft out of the hub
Cheers fellas, i don't think i worded it very well, when the complete hub slides on to the bottom of the shock, but you mentioned alignment pin. i was wondering if it was possible to slide it on not in the correct position, but as you mentioned alignment pin i guess not.

Cheers Titch
There is a little guide on the back of the shock. Using your hand, you should be able to feel a 'nobble' on the back of the shock. This goes in-between the hub clamp.