306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Handbrake Groaning?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've just tightened up my handbrake cable after it was doing about 9 clicks with barely any grip. It's now on 4/5 clicks and holding okay but when it is holding on an incline there a deep groaning/straining coming from the back end. Any ideas what it could be and a ball-park estimate on how much it'd cost to fix?

Cheers
Thats just standard frenchness! All the 306s ive owned have done it!
If you have discs then what he said^^^^

if you have drums on the back, then it be worth slackening off the cables and adjusting them properly...IE at the drum.
then once adjusted at the drum take out any remaining slack

Smile
Mines did this when parked on a hill but it only happened if there was ones in the back moving about etc so my solution was to park it in gear lol
movement in the drum / disc. when under load.
Thanks chaps! It's a big relief just having a handbrake that works! Though with it being an Auto, just sticking it in Park does the trick Big Grin
(16-12-2013, 07:08 PM)Optikal Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks chaps! It's a big relief just having a handbrake that works! Though with it being an Auto, just sticking it in Park does the trick Big Grin

Unless you're on a really steep hill and you can't get it out of park as it's sitting on the mechanical lock Wink
(16-12-2013, 07:25 PM)Martin306 Wrote: [ -> ]
(16-12-2013, 07:08 PM)Optikal Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks chaps! It's a big relief just having a handbrake that works! Though with it being an Auto, just sticking it in Park does the trick Big Grin

Unless you're on a really steep hill and you can't get it out of park as it's sitting on the mechanical lock Wink

Meh, my ford explorer coped fine when I parked on a 50 degree slope in san Francisco!
(16-12-2013, 08:43 PM)C2K Wrote: [ -> ]
(16-12-2013, 07:25 PM)Martin306 Wrote: [ -> ]

Meh, my ford explorer coped fine when I parked on a 50 degree slope in san Francisco!

It's a Ford, it was probably broke Wink I've had the ZJ stuck in Park before, but I just rammed the TC into Neutral. Thought I was gonna break the linkage lol.
It's due it's MOT at the back end of february anyway so I'm going to have to look at it properly before then.