306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: what damper oil
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got a pair of koni dampers that were showing damage to the strut body following a bit of air born car antics, rather than simply binning them I thought I may as well open them up and have a look inside well I've got one in bits and have found the damage isn't as bad as first thought with only a slight crease in the strut body but more importantly the internals are undamaged so there may be life in the old konis after all.
My question is when I rebuild them what oil do I use? I've rebuilt plenty of motorbike forks in my time so I have lots of bottles of various weight fork oil in the garage, would MC fork oil be suitable for car struts ? and if so what weight? Also I've read that it's not unusual to use AFT in struts, is this true and if so it is a viable option or is there a specific car strut / damper oil I should be looking for?
Koni's are usually a basic 32-68wt hydraulic oil, nothing fancy.

If you want to upgrade them to a better oil then a good 10w or so multigrade shock oil will make them more consistant with temperature - RSF in 7.5 or 10wt is usually a good choice - ATF is a little too thin for a Koni and tends to have a pretty poor VI.
If you're using mineral/semi synth oils that you already have, fork oil is probably better as it's less likely to foam, but expect it to fade under hard use.
(08-12-2013, 01:33 AM)Rippthrough Wrote: [ -> ]Koni's are usually a basic 32-68wt hydraulic oil, nothing fancy.

If you want to upgrade them to a better oil then a good 10w or so multigrade shock oil will make them more consistant with temperature - RSF in 7.5 or 10wt is usually a good choice - ATF is a little too thin for a Koni and tends to have a pretty poor VI.
If you're using mineral/semi synth oils that you already have, fork oil is probably better as it's less likely to foam, but expect it to fade under hard use.

cheers for the input, I've got some PJ1 10wt fork oil so I'll give that a try