306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: HDI not heating
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, so just noticed my X reg HDI won't heat above 70, not sure if this is meant to be. Previously had a ph1 which always sat at 90, same with two TDI's I've owned too. Is this normal?
Mines exactly the same.
Change the thermostat incase it's stuck open
Will it be in the Hayne's manual? I'm useless when it comes to stuff like this haha
Yep I should be in there most stuff like that should be
Iirc hdi's run cooler. I think mine used to struggle to overheat.

So I wouldn't worry to much
Should sit just below eighty, most likely the stat at fault. It is covered in the haynes.
How long should it take to get there? I'm driving around town a lot and it seems to take forever to get upto running temp, but it does eventually
My Hdi sits around 70 this time of year, always has done. It doesn't generate a great deal of heat at constant throttle, and you have a tremendous amount of wind chill over the radiator.

If you are driving gently, it can take a good few miles to start giving you meaningful heat from the heaters.
Mine takes about 15 minutes to get up to temp because the pre-heater and glowies are past it, sits happily at 78* once it gets there though. The old hdi barely reached 70 when it had a knackered stat and took sooooo long to get warm.
Where's best to get a new stat from? As clearly most second hand ones are going to have the same problem :-P mine has always run cold tbh, since I bought it on 75k nearly 5 years ago!
any motor factors............or

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/car-thermostat
(06-12-2013, 10:56 AM)rd070707 Wrote: [ -> ]How long should it take to get there?

Did a 2 hour trip to Lisnaskea and still didn't move above 70
Someone give the 406 thermostat a try, both mine have sat at 80+ and get there very quick in comparison.

And they're more economical too, possibly as a result of this.
I'll give it a try, can't imagine anything bad happening.
So the 406 HDI thermostat fits and makes it more economical?
(07-12-2013, 06:11 PM)Lego Jon Wrote: [ -> ]So the 406 HDI thermostat fits and makes it more economical?

I don't know. It'll fit, of that I'm 99% certain.

And the economy increase would be down to the engine running at a higher temperature, 70 is too cold.
Interesting. I shall toddle off and buy a new stat asap.
Basically what I'll be doing is replacing mine anyway, as it's screwed (won't exceed 70 unless absolutely thrashed in 29* temperatures in France Tongue )

So I'll just give the 406 one a try. If someone does it first, I'd like to know the results!
I've got a 307 90* stat that i've been meaning to test for ages, in theory it should mean hotter, more efficient combustion.
So it would be ideal for us to run above the 80 degrees we do as standard?
Yeah, ideally. But a lot of us don't even see 75* so anything would be an improvement
I run at 78-80 once the stat opens