306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: New guy (with no car)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi peeps, I'm new here, Vauxhall nut but thinking of buying a GTi 6 306 Pug, they seem a better option than a 2.5 V6 SRi Vectra B, I've been reserching them and they seem f**king awesome, love the look of them, my girl owns a 1.4 306 Phase 2 and I love throwing that into corners it's mint, it's done 99,600 miles and it feels brand new, I've owned a 1.1 106 before and that was okay, I sold it though then went back to Vauxhall, just need some ideas on what to look out for when buying a GTi 6 (I want a stock none finger f**ked model that hasn't had it's nuts ripped out of it)

My girl got her T Reg Pug 306 for £600 after the guy spending £450 on parts for it (lol) it had somewhere in the 8 - 10 months of M.O.T mark and the same for the Tax, it's a mint car, I'll upload some pics of it now, the pug, my Vaux's and my pug I had!

My 1.6 16V Astra MK4 SXi Twinport (breaking it for parts)
[Image: IMG_20131015_180820_zpsd6cb7016.jpg]

My MG ZR 1.4 105BHP (Bag of crap don't ever buy one)
[Image: IMAG0027.jpg]

My Vectra SRi 3.2 V6 (Omega engine)
[Image: 311346_165935460148375_100001957677363_3...2781_n.jpg]

I had a Fiat Punto X Reg as my first car, that was poo and then had a 1.2 SXi Corsa C 54 plate as my second car then got total bored of how slow the thing was then swapped it for a 3.2 Vectra (one in the pics) Had a MK5 after that and got bored of it so traded it and got the MK4 Astra, now I'm breaking it for parts, I'm looking for a GTi 6 306 Phase 2, I'm 20 and it's cheap to run (to say I'm 20) and it's pretty fast looking at the specs of it!

Astra MK5 1.6 16V SXi Twinport
[Image: 46762_1408902379037_3117547_n_zps643ad760.jpg]

Corsa C 1.2 SXi Twinport
[Image: Corsa6_zps788d5f20.jpg]

Punto 1.2 8V
[Image: 164795_192278567451035_5159262_n_zps9f456eb0.jpg]

Finally the Pug 106 1.1
[Image: Photo016_zps50d8fceb.jpg]

I'm never in 1 place and stay there, always on the road on the move, that's just how I am, I love it been me, the car, the road, easier way to live!
Welcome, I too dropped.Vauxhall for my gti6. However I went down the road of a £300 project. And I have to say for £300 she needs very little doing. Check out the cars for sale, a nice few in there
(29-11-2013, 09:28 AM)Nadine Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome, I too dropped.Vauxhall for my gti6. However I went down the road of a £300 project. And I have to say for £300 she needs very little doing. Check out the cars for sale, a nice few in there

I will thanks, I'm hoping to pick one up for about £600 ish if you can get them that cheap, or straight swap a Vectra B SRi 2.5 V6 for it! Either one suits me as I can get a Vectra now for about £700
IMO for a decent '6 you want to looking around £800+, although you can pick up a fecked one much much cheaper. They are truly great fun to drive!
Body work I don't really care much about I'm just looking for one with a good engine and with M.O.T and Tax! Gotta be gold though!
Cambelts are one thing that NEEDS to be taken care of on these engines so make sure it's either had a change or is cheap enough that you can do it/get someone else to
I always change the Cambelts on my cars anyway, even if it was done 3 months, 5 months, 5k 10k miles ago, I change them anyway so I know there done, last thing I want is to look a total prick when the car dies and all 16 nice shiny valves bend and probs wreck the engine block, lol

I'll put pics of my girl's 306 up in a bit, just gonna get pics off the iPod!
Welcome to the forum
Welcome along buddy, quite a collection of Vauxhalls you've had there Smile
(29-11-2013, 10:44 AM)Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome along buddy, quite a collection of Vauxhalls you've had there Smile

That's not even all of the cars I've had, I can't be bothered listing all of the cars I've had, lol, I've had 3 J Reg Cavs, 1 Omega 3.0 RWD a Hyundai I30 on HP (Which I later handed over to my mum) and a GTi Golf MK3 (which was crap) Now I'm stuck without a car I'm trying to get better cars but always seem to land worse cars than what I got, lol, the Vauxhall's was good cars don't get me wrong but it's time to move on now, hoping to buy a GTi 6 and keep that till I'm about 30 if not longer, don't wanna keep changing cars, I wanna throw a bucket load of money into 1 car and keep it!
Should have got a 160 Big Grin
Welcome
(29-11-2013, 11:45 AM)lolsteve Wrote: [ -> ]Should have got a 160 Big Grin

..that actually is a 140.. Tongue
Shhh! He's new he doesn't know that yet
You're talking about the ZR right? If so it was a POS I had it 2 hours and blew it to bits due to it been pure CRAP!!!

This is my girls 306 MONSTER 1.4 8V beast! (Joke it's only got 80BHP TOPS!)

[Image: IMG_0035_zpsb229e35a.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0036_zps77674084.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0037_zpsd678e782.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0039_zps0ea1fe78.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0040_zps87e0adf8.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0038_zps4bce248e.jpg]
(Chavvy Sub, lol)
[Image: IMG_0062_zpsed5308f5.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0115_zps73bf165e.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0077_zps1f77f388.png]

NO the Focus was not mine, it was a POS, I told her it was and she listened to me and then she got the 306 which I was slating like a d**k but hey turned out to be a pretty sick car!!!

This 306 is a Phase 2 ain't it?

(29-11-2013, 11:45 AM)lolsteve Wrote: [ -> ]Should have got a 160 Big Grin

I got the car for £250 with the headgasket just been done (had proof) it had only done 74k miles so didn't really care for that price but didn't last me long, KABOOOM, 1 to me, nil to MG, sorry *cough* Rover *cough*
(29-11-2013, 12:03 PM)JethroJay Wrote: [ -> ]I got the car for £250 with the headgasket just been done (had proof) it had only done 74k miles so didn't really care for that price but didn't last me long, KABOOOM, 1 to me, nil to MG, sorry *cough* Rover *cough*

When you say headgasket had been done, does that mean a bottle of k seal was poured in? lol
It's hardly rovers fault if it hadn't been fixed properly, I really like mine against the 306 even if Im spending my time fixing previous owner faults. Besides the zr 1.4 is 103bhp against pugs 80 Wink

But for £250 you cant complain when you can break it for parts and make profit on it
Doesn't rovers 1.4 also feature another 8 valves though?? lol
(29-11-2013, 12:28 PM)lolsteve Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-11-2013, 12:03 PM)JethroJay Wrote: [ -> ]I got the car for £250 with the headgasket just been done (had proof) it had only done 74k miles so didn't really care for that price but didn't last me long, KABOOOM, 1 to me, nil to MG, sorry *cough* Rover *cough*

When you say headgasket had been done, does that mean a bottle of k seal was poured in? lol
It's hardly rovers fault if it hadn't been fixed properly, I really like mine against the 306 even if Im spending my time fixing previous owner faults. Besides the zr 1.4 is 103bhp against pugs 80 Wink

But for £250 you cant complain when you can break it for parts and make profit on it

No it was done by a garage, lets say RAGGING the nuts off the car didn't go well!

MG ZR's are the worlds worst car, mind you, Rover are bags of scrap there self!
Welcome to the forum Hello
Whats that random hole in the speak shelf for on the gold 306? :S
Welcome!
£600 is about average for a '6 these days (if you live in the real world) however, I personally think you want to spend a fair bit more if you want a really good example. If you look in the right places you will find a decent one for around £600-£1000.
Don't scrimp o buying a '6 you'll be far better off paying more for one that has been cherished. They are a hell of a car and will put massive grin on your face. Guaranteed!

Wish I still had mine but just having my HDi is a nice reminder as it looks and handles the same just not as fast and doesn't have the Roar! Ho hum

Be weary of a tapper! If it taps on start up then fades out should be fine but if it is constant. Best to walk away. Head gasket are fairly common to go if the temp goes above 90 degrees in heavy traffic it is likely it will need a one. Also Cambelt is recommended every 36k so if you look at one without proof or mileage that exceeds the 36k be sure to knock them down.
(29-11-2013, 05:37 PM)underground375 Wrote: [ -> ]Whats that random hole in the speak shelf for on the gold 306? :S

It's to let the air out the boot from the sub save it breaking theb shelf in the back (So I think anyway) it was done when she got the car.....

(30-11-2013, 12:27 AM)Ari Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome!
£600 is about average for a '6 these days (if you live in the real world) however, I personally think you want to spend a fair bit more if you want a really good example. If you look in the right places you will find a decent one for around £600-£1000.
Don't scrimp o buying a '6 you'll be far better off paying more for one that has been cherished. They are a hell of a car and will put massive grin on your face. Guaranteed!

Wish I still had mine but just having my HDi is a nice reminder as it looks and handles the same just not as fast and doesn't have the Roar! Ho hum

Be weary of a tapper! If it taps on start up then fades out should be fine but if it is constant. Best to walk away. Head gasket are fairly common to go if the temp goes above 90 degrees in heavy traffic it is likely it will need a one. Also Cambelt is recommended every 36k so if you look at one without proof or mileage that exceeds the 36k be sure to knock them down.

Okay mate, thank you for the heads up and I'll keep my eye out on one!
Welcome, if you have a bit more to spend you can grab yourself a Rallye (special edition of the Gti6).
Only 500 were made; 200 red, 200 white and 100 black.

Funnily enough I have one in black up for sale if you check out the for sale threads. Cambelt change was done 10k ago and she has tax and MOT!
(30-11-2013, 08:51 AM)Rich306 Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome, if you have a bit more to spend you can grab yourself a Rallye (special edition of the Gti6).
Only 500 were made; 200 red, 200 white and 100 black.

Funnily enough I have one in black up for sale if you check out the for sale threads. Cambelt change was done 10k ago and she has tax and MOT!

I want a GTi 6 bro but how much you asking for the Rallye?
(29-11-2013, 12:31 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: [ -> ]Doesn't rovers 1.4 also feature another 8 valves though?? lol
True, but just means pug should have put on some more valves lol

(29-11-2013, 12:57 PM)JethroJay Wrote: [ -> ]No it was done by a garage, lets say RAGGING the nuts off the car didn't go well!

Did you rag it from cold? because that wouldn't do many cars any favours.
I took my 160 on track even though I bounced it off the limiter a lot, dropped a gear too soon and sent it to 8k rpm and it's timing it out it hasn't skipped a beat.
They're hardly the worst car ever, I prefer mine to the 306 apart from the rear leg room but it's all personal preference
(30-11-2013, 01:07 PM)lolsteve Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-11-2013, 12:31 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: [ -> ]Doesn't rovers 1.4 also feature another 8 valves though?? lol
True, but just means pug should have put on some more valves lol

(29-11-2013, 12:57 PM)JethroJay Wrote: [ -> ]No it was done by a garage, lets say RAGGING the nuts off the car didn't go well!

Did you rag it from cold? because that wouldn't do many cars any favours.
I took my 160 on track even though I bounced it off the limiter a lot, dropped a gear too soon and sent it to 8k rpm and it's timing it out it hasn't skipped a beat.
They're hardly the worst car ever, I prefer mine to the 306 apart from the rear leg room but it's all personal preference

True mate and I never rag a car when it's cold, I know how much it wrecks them, When I get the GTi 6 I'll make sure I look after it and only rag it now and then!
Welcome