306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: 195/55/15 scrubbing!?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Have changed the 14" wheels that came on my xrdt for standard steelies and 195/55/15 tyres and getting tyre scrubb on hard driving!?

Thought these should have been clear no probs, no camber on beam.

Whats general concensus on liners - stay or go?

Considering I havnt even lowered anything yet must be the liners falling out....
Whats scrubbing front or rear?
I'm assuming it's the rear because you said no camber on the beam. Mine do but mine is at Irish ride height at the rear.
(18-11-2013, 09:53 PM)Frosty Wrote: [ -> ]Whats scrubbing front or rear?

Yes mate, rear..

(18-11-2013, 09:55 PM)strictly_perv Wrote: [ -> ]I'm assuming it's the rear because you said no camber on the beam. Mine do but mine is at Irish ride height at the rear.

Irish ride height?
On the rears the arch liners come away from the inside of the arch sometimes. So either screw them back or remove them. Or your beam maybe no good.

Irish height means very low
(18-11-2013, 10:12 PM)Frosty Wrote: [ -> ]On the rears the arch liners come away from the inside of the arch sometimes. So either screw them back or remove them. Or your beam maybe no good.

Irish height means very low

OK, thanks Frosty.

Was thinking of changing beam from drum's to disks at some point but not for a while yet.

May remove liners and underseal arch's, see if that cures it.

Are there likely bushes to replace on beam? Never had torsion beam car before
There's the 4 beam mounts, but they'd have to be really bad to give that sort of issue, is it only scrubbing one side, you may have a bent trailing arm or pin
It you can find a scrub mark on a tyre this will help you find where its scrubbing on the car. This in turn will help you figer out what the problem is.

Just removing the linner isnt solving the root issue.

Somthing must be wrong as alot of people are dropped like 50mm on 195/55/15s with no scrub so at OE height you should no way be scrubinh anything
Check the arch liners are actually flush against the chassis.. thought my beam was fecked due to this
had mine on the stops due to an engine, gearbox, engine crane, toolbox, and a fat mate, and no rubbing.
As midnightclub says check that the liners are flush with the the inner arch cos dirt can build up and force them to bulge out. Worthwhile taking them off and giving in behind them a clean.
Will take the liners out and give a clean up.

Kind of like the idea of not having them in there and giving a good coat of underseal instead tbh.

Always a bit wary of liners - had a few cars where they are hiding corrosion but I guess the pugs are well protected with a good primer anyhow.

Will have a good look at rear beam, arms etc for obvious issues. I do intend to fit gti beam with discs at some point though. Lots to do before that also.....
On a 306 its one with no arch linners you need to worry about. If its got them it usaly means it isnt rotted out
Id agree with puglove.
My Phase 2 with no passenger side rear liner suffered the dreaded seatbelt rust. I ended up cutting a fair chunk of rusted metal out to replace. All due to having no liner. My uncles Phase 1 and my da's Phase 1 are in perfect condition as they had liners.
Thanks Guys - liners it is then !

Does anyone have a handy trick for removing the fasteners and removing them?

Havn't had a go yet but can imagine they are a bugger with destroying them !

Cheers Nick
Are they definitely 306 steelies?

Could be the wrong offset, the 306 offset is quite big.
(23-11-2013, 08:27 AM)Andy! Wrote: [ -> ]Are they definitely 306 steelies?

Could be the wrong offset, the 306 offset is quite big.

Good question Andy.

Could someone identify these pls, just to be sure on offset?.
Was told they are ok when purchased 2nd hand with 4 good tyres then painted them myself. Pls excuse the dirt.......
they don't look like any 306 steel I have had (although that could be as they are white so look different).

You can measure the wheel offset yourself by laying a wheel flat on the ground and measuring the distance to the hub from the floor, turn over and repeat and then you can work out the offset from the centre. I should add that my comment above relates to the suspension not the wheel, the wheels on a 306 are on the low end hence why 306 wheels sit too far out on other cars and other wheels sit too far in (the problem you are having)
They look a bit like C5 steels to me. Ive got them and dont have any problem with scrubbing
I'll put money on the beam being knackered.

It may not look it, but it doesn't need much when you've got the 15s on and slightly wayward arch liners to get things just slightly scrubbing...
(25-11-2013, 12:25 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]I'll put money on the beam being knackered.

It may not look it, but it doesn't need much when you've got the 15s on and slightly wayward arch liners to get things just slightly scrubbing...

May well be I need that GTI beam sooner than expected. Still havnt had chance to remove and refit liners yet either though.

Hopefully next weekend!....
They defo aint 306 steels, The only 15" steel that was made for the 306 is the GTI6 spare wheels and they defo aint gti spares
Just an update for any following this...

These are Citroen C5 or Xsara steelies from the code/part no stamped on them. Offset is 18mm.

My n/s/r arch liner has already been removed but this panel has had a bump at some point in the past.

It looks as though the o/s/r is rubbing on a small rectangular protrusion in the liner moulding.

Although the scrub is only apparent with a heavy adult in the back it's all sounding rather ominous...
late phase3's had 15" steels.