306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Rear beam assistance please... (Sorted)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So just wondering if there is any differences between the rear beam on a '99 cabriolet and a '99 3dr HDi that I should be aware of?

From what I can work out the six bolts line up perfectly... But that's all I've got so far.

Brake lines?
ABS?
That kinda stuff, all plug in and go?
You'll have to move brake lines a bit and possibly remove the brake bias valve from what I remember.
Thanks. I'll look into it. Smile

Edit:
I've done some googling and read up on this, you need one for MOT, so removal isn't going to be an option for me sadly. Can I just relocate it or something? Surely there is a way around it?
Your HDI will have ABS so you don't need it.

I'm not sure what spec beam is on a cabby but yours being a hdi dturbo will be the same as a GTI.
Might be worth changing the seals on the beam whilst it's off the car.
As above ph3 dont need the load valve because of the abs system they have.

I have a temp ph2 drum beam on my estate and i removed the valve when i fitted it. Goes through MOTs and brakes fine.

Also i think cabby beams have smaller ARBs
(11-11-2013, 11:07 PM)Ricky Wrote: [ -> ]Your HDI will have ABS so you don't need it.

I'm not sure what spec beam is on a cabby but yours being a hdi dturbo will be the same as a GTI.

I do have ABS. Yeh, why do they have it if they don't need it? lol

I'm not sure on the spec either, it's from the 2.0 auto SE. When I was measuring it up, the distance from the outer wheels was about 1-2cm further than mine and the car sits lower than mine too.
The phase 3's use the ABS system for EBD (electronic brakeforce distribution), so they don't need the crappy manual load compensator of the older phases.....

Also, the cabby is heavier than the hatch, so your car may sit higher on a cabby beam than the cabby does.
(12-11-2013, 08:25 AM)puglove Wrote: [ -> ]As above ph3 dont need the load valve because of the abs system they have.

I have a temp ph2 drum beam on my estate and i removed the valve when i fitted it. Goes through MOTs and brakes fine.

Also i think cabby beams have smaller ARBs

Okay thanks.

By ARB do you mean anti roll bar? Will that play an issue in fitting?

Basically my beam is a mess. The rust is awful, I'll pop some pics on next week when I do the swap. The cabbie beam is from my mums which was written off and has done about 40-50k. It's pretty neat looking and I'm in the process if cleaning it up and am gonna paint it with anti rust stuff. Im far from mechanically minded though so we shall see how this goes... Haha

(12-11-2013, 11:04 AM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]The phase 3's use the ABS system for EBD (electronic brakeforce distribution), so they don't need the crappy manual load compensator of the older phases.....

Also, the cabby is heavier than the hatch, so your car may sit higher on a cabby beam than the cabby does.

Ah I see. Thanks Tom!
As long as it doesn't sit any higher that it currently does I'll be happy!
Will keep the old one and try to save it and maybe put it back one day. Smile

Edit: according to Parker's there's on a 70kg difference, how much effect would you guess it'll have?
ARB won't affect fitting, but will affect the handling.
I break cabriolets, I have sold all my beams to hatch owners.
Most of which are on this forum!
They just bolt straight up with no problems.
Im pretty sure the torsion bars are a tad thicker too.
Chris.
(12-11-2013, 07:04 PM)Chris1357 Wrote: [ -> ]I break cabriolets, I have sold all my beams to hatch owners.
Most of which are on this forum!
They just bolt straight up with no problems.
Im pretty sure the torsion bars are a tad thicker too.
Chris.

they are 20mm's same as Gti/HDI/Xsi/ ph3 xs Just smaller ARBs in my experience
My beam wasn't so bad. A little surface rust, all cleaned up and just left mine on. Thanks for your help though guys, I've learned something. Smile