306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Out my depth (What's new)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After a second attempt at my front suspension (on my own) I've realised it's a bit out of my depth of knowledge, as usual, to do a whole change myself.

Previous attempts found I would need to take off the ball joints to get better access to take out the springs as there just wasn't enough room. I now have replacements of both ball joints (along with drop links) on both sides ready to pop on with the change.

So again I'm asking for help, this time for front suspension change Angel

Now I have an adequate road that's reasonably quiet but obviously willing to travel nearby to peeps that have a nice roomy driveway.

I would annoy Skoob some more but his mum says he's got enough on his plate with the two 306's already in his driveway Tongue

I hope someone can help me out! I bring beer! Blush
Are you changing the struts/springs? If so there is absolutely no reason to undo the ball joints. Ginges guide covers exactly what you need to do, but tl;dr, undo:
Pinch bolt
Drop link (strut side only for your ease)
Brake line clip

Hammer down the hub off of the strut, then undo the top mount bolts and it comes out
i did offer in your project thread. you dont need to take ball joints out either. makes it harder IMO
Well I'm changing the whole lot in one over as the shocks/springs I've got already have the top mount, probably why it was so hard to get out as we hadn't taken the top mount off. We had trouble getting the bottom out it's place even using a hammer but there was no room for everything to move downwards, unless the ball joints were removed? As I said, I really don't know a lot. Or have the tools, just bought a ratchet set but realised ratchet spanners would be more ideal...

Jamie where abouts in Wiltshire are you? Just because it is quite a trip but if you're willing to help me I'll be willing to travel Big Grin
Keep the top mount bolted up as you hammer the hub off the strut. You will be able to get the shock out the hub just. Beware as you are likely to pull the drive shaft out the passenger side and loose some box oil.
about 10-15 mins from skoobs in a place called calne
Ok so after another attempt on my own, I broke my ratchet handle, slipped and punched the shock and destroyed a rubber mallet trying to get out the drift shaft with no avail.

(07-10-2013, 07:35 AM)puglove Wrote: [ -> ]about 10-15 mins from skoobs in a place called calne

Are you free this weekend? Big Grin Would appreciate a hand to finally get this done!
Come to me in South London, and I will have it done in an hour for you Smile
(10-10-2013, 12:08 PM)Grant Wrote: [ -> ]Come to me in South London, and I will have it done in an hour for you Smile

That's a hell of a long way to go from weston lol. Would be a potential if I was back home but need it sorted before I go back.
Offers there if you need it dude Smile
(10-10-2013, 11:54 AM)MRiches Wrote: [ -> ]Ok so after another attempt on my own, I broke my ratchet handle, slipped and punched the shock and destroyed a rubber mallet trying to get out the drift shaft with no avail.

You used a rubber mallet, for a solid metal object? Surely you could see what would happen there lol, need a metal lump hammer for that, and will do for the hub as well. Wink
(10-10-2013, 03:49 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-10-2013, 11:54 AM)MRiches Wrote: [ -> ]Ok so after another attempt on my own, I broke my ratchet handle, slipped and punched the shock and destroyed a rubber mallet trying to get out the drift shaft with no avail.

You used a rubber mallet, for a solid metal object? Surely you could see what would happen there lol, need a metal lump hammer for that, and will do for the hub as well. Wink

I was trying to do it "gently" Tongue
Gently? Oh right, that's not a method I'm familiar with.... Go in with the hammers and impact gun first....fix all the mess later.... lol