306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Help choosing a CHEAP tablet!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got a very decent desktop PC and a fairly ok phone (iPhone 4).

Recently I've thought of getting a cheap tablet just for using when out and about, over friends, led in bed, working on the car etc.

Is there any point getting a cheap one, I'm talking £40~£100?

Would use it for browsing, video playback, facebook and maybe the odd game?

Any guidance would be appreciated..!
Tesco Hudl?

Spec seems pretty decent for the price, build quality I'm not so sure about though
Why would you need a tablet when working on the car?

Personally, I wouldn't bother, I find they just cause frustration. Some are probably okay, but just spend a bit more and get a Nexus 7 IMO. I bought a Samsung Tab 7 and wished I'd gone with a Nexus, it was disappointing.
Personally, I think the performance of a cheap tab just makes them frustrating to use.. something like a Gen 1 Nexus 7 will probably be the best you can get for your money
A cheap tablet will just wind you up. I got given a Arnova 9g2 for Christmas and although im grateful for it, the wifi signal is weak and drops out/ it locks up a lot/when typing the letters appear a couple of seconds after typing and so on. My phone (HTC Desire HD) is faster than it but the screen of the tablet is much nicer for lounging in bed watching something or going on the forum.
in terms of processing power go for something more than a single 1ghz and 512mb ram otherwise its just not worth your time.
(03-10-2013, 01:02 PM)Toby Wrote: [ -> ]Tesco Hudl?

Spec seems pretty decent for the price, build quality I'm not so sure about though

I'll take a look.

(03-10-2013, 01:09 PM)Curt Wrote: [ -> ]Why would you need a tablet when working on the car?

Personally, I wouldn't bother, I find they just cause frustration. Some are probably okay, but just spend a bit more and get a Nexus 7 IMO. I bought a Samsung Tab 7 and wished I'd gone with a Nexus, it was disappointing.

Theres usually always a problem when doing a major job on a car and usually end up having to look something up, tablet could be ideal for that.

Nexus 7 is £160 new, but in budget if I go second hand so I'll read up on them! Thanks.

(03-10-2013, 01:11 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: [ -> ]Personally, I think the performance of a cheap tab just makes them frustrating to use.. something like a Gen 1 Nexus 7 will probably be the best you can get for your money

I can see where your coming from, now I'm used to the SSD on the PC everything seems painfully slow already..

(03-10-2013, 01:22 PM)lolsteve Wrote: [ -> ]A cheap tablet will just wind you up. I got given a Arnova 9g2 for Christmas and although im grateful for it, the wifi signal is weak and drops out/ it locks up a lot/when typing the letters appear a couple of seconds after typing and so on. My phone (HTC Desire HD) is faster than it but the screen of the tablet is much nicer for lounging in bed watching something or going on the forum.
in terms of processing power go for something more than a single 1ghz and 512mb ram otherwise its just not worth your time.

Same as Danny mentioned, note taken, don't buy cheap & new, buy cheap & used. Blush
(03-10-2013, 01:37 PM)silverzx Wrote: [ -> ]Theres usually always a problem when doing a major job on a car and usually end up having to look something up, tablet could be ideal for that.

Only if you're within range of Wifi, in which case you could just use the PC... You're going to have to up your budget significantly to get 3G.
(03-10-2013, 01:40 PM)Curt Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-10-2013, 01:37 PM)silverzx Wrote: [ -> ]Theres usually always a problem when doing a major job on a car and usually end up having to look something up, tablet could be ideal for that.

Only if you're within range of Wifi, in which case you could just use the PC... You're going to have to up your budget significantly to get 3G.

Tether off the phone init blood. Wink
Bargain, all you'd need is a micro USB charger.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASUS-GOOGLE-NE...4897.l4276
(03-10-2013, 01:46 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: [ -> ]Bargain, all you'd need is a micro USB charger.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASUS-GOOGLE-NE...4897.l4276

Thats 1st gen right?

Same as this?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/pa...ID=GS001&_$ja=cgid:7355269982|tsid:41408|cid:130167182|lid:54951163622|nw:g|crid:27766286462|rnd:1191388603989418532|dvc:c|adp:1o3|kw:#pdpFullProductInformation
Yeah that's right mate, although the one I linked off eBay is a 32GB not a 16GB