306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Help me find...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can anyone help me find...

A tablet or similar device (preferably with GSM) WITHOUT a camera - for what I've got to use it for it CANNOT have a camera!

Old school is good, but if it is, it's gotta be available cheap, I was looking at Nokia Communicators - that kinda thing... But can't find anything very suitable?

Loves and kittens.
Tonnes on here at decent prices, some 'brand' and some lesser known brands.. http://dx.com/c/laptops-tablets-1499/tablets-1409
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amazon-Kindle-...1c374ed3f7

no camera on the older ones, there are a few others like the asus ones, but a lot if not all the newer ones will have cameras in...

what you going to be using it for? (if you don't mind me asking)
could you just break the camera lenses or have it covered?
(02-10-2013, 11:37 AM)lolsteve Wrote: [ -> ]could you just break the camera lenses or have it covered?

This. hammer = no camera
(02-10-2013, 11:39 AM)cwspellowe Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-10-2013, 11:37 AM)lolsteve Wrote: [ -> ]could you just break the camera lenses or have it covered?

This. hammer = no camera

A lot of companies with sensitive information or equipment will see it that you could easily have the camera repaired or uncovered, hence the no camera policy. Quite common nowdays tbh
Yeah, it's a Datacentre that doesn't allow any cameras, USB Storage or paper in...

Yet you an take a laptop in.... As long as it doesn't have a camera...

FFS!
You need to get friendly with the operators there. I run into these problems all the time, but if their rules are really stopping you working and you get friendly with the guys running the place they can be flexible. I've been on sites where everything has been read out to us like that, we'd kindly say well do you want this work doing or not? Soon after its fair enough in you go with your big toolbox and here's a pass for the whole building Smile
Funnily enough this is the reason why blackberry were good 5-8 years ago. They were focused on business use and didn't have cameras as a lot of places confiscate camera phones. My office do with visitors as we do have some sensitive info there.
Now blackberrys are just used as door stops and organising riots and not much else.
(02-10-2013, 12:10 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Now blackberrys are just used as door stops and organising riots and not much else.

I've hard milwall fans have started using them as bricks when they don't have a paper/magazine to hand now aswell...

This should do you ruan...

[Image: usb-typewriter.jpg]
(02-10-2013, 12:20 PM)Grant Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-10-2013, 12:10 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Now blackberrys are just used as door stops and organising riots and not much else.

I've hard milwall fans have started using them as bricks when they don't have a paper/magazine to hand now aswell...

This should do you ruan...

Even that's got a f*cking Webcam, I can see it!!!

And yep, looks like a Kindle Fire is the best we can do actually...

They're a proper arsey data centre as apparently it holds DoWP and NHS data... It's a class 4 data centre and they're very proud of it apparently...

Even though I heard a hilarious story about how the guys there were showing off their rack key system that only allowed you to take keys that you'd been allocated and before you leave the room, you have to put the keys you took back so they couldn't be lost or removed... To which the bloke has 4 sets of keys in his hand and says "Ah we'll just go out this unalarmed door here" - with the keys in hand.... *Facedesk*

All a bunch of bollocks basically - it's a cracking excuse for me to get a Nokia Communicator as I've wanted one, but never been able to justify it... Now I can get one on the basis it DOESN'T have a camera Big Grin
Which DC is that Ruan?
(02-10-2013, 11:52 AM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, it's a Datacentre that doesn't allow any cameras, USB Storage or paper in...

Yet you an take a laptop in.... As long as it doesn't have a camera...

FFS!

No paper....Wtf
It's one in the north east, I don't think I'm technically allowed to say?!

I do understand the paper one, it's a non air-con datacentre, just forced air, so it's REDICULOUSLY windy in there... So you cannot leave paper anywhere, it will fly off somewhere.
Not to worry mate, I just wondered if it was the DC supplying our system Smile I don't think it is.
(03-10-2013, 09:03 AM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]It's one in the north east, I don't think I'm technically allowed to say?!

Newcastle'ish possibly?
Nook 7?
They're e-ink though aren't they?
Not sure if they have a camera but what about the new Microsoft surface tablet/laptop crossover?
(03-10-2013, 09:42 AM)tigerstyle Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-10-2013, 09:03 AM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]It's one in the north east, I don't think I'm technically allowed to say?!

Newcastle'ish possibly?

Around that area yeah Smile

You probably know the one I'm on about, it's a HP owned one I know that much...
Is that patient data Ruan - the nhs stuff? We're allowed phones on the wards where we have patient/confidential notes right in front of us. We have even been supplied iPads with no such camera warnings.
Different rules between being in a hospital compared to in a DC though buddy Smile