306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Broken gti6, update/help?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So this is the noise, cambelt is ok, not looked timing yet just wondered if any one can think what could cause this/ what the noise is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq2Ll--nETY
Have you checked all the timing holes line up and the cambelt hasn't slipped?
(03-09-2013, 02:40 PM)Grant Wrote: [ -> ]Have you checked all the timing holes line up and the cambelt hasn't slipped?

Not yet no but that is on my list to do want to check the rear cam first but struggling to get the rear cam cover off.

How do you time these up are they the same as xud with the m8 bolt? where to i lock the bottom end off at the fly wheel?
no compresion there!
thats a head off job
Definately what Cully said. That crunching/clicking noise doesnt sound good lol
stop pissing about with it and sell it to me Big Grin

EDIT.....
maybe not your 240 miles away
(03-09-2013, 03:45 PM)cully Wrote: [ -> ]stop pissing about with it and sell it to me Big Grin

EDIT.....
maybe not your 240 miles away

Pissing around? Only had it a day lol

I was thinking compression need to find some one with a tester see if can check it before start ripping it to bits
I personally would be inclined to not turn it over any more and just get on with taking it apart
(03-09-2013, 04:30 PM)Grant Wrote: [ -> ]I personally would be inclined to not turn it over any more and just get on with taking it apart

Me too!
Yer first I'm not gonna think there will be bent valves tho just looking up on doing the timing, any one no what size bolt to use to lock cams? Also what are the chances of the crank pulley slipping? So it would throw timing out?
(03-09-2013, 04:46 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: [ -> ]Yer first I'm not gonna think there will be bent valves tho just looking up on doing the timing, any one no what size bolt to use to lock cams? Also what are the chances of the crank pulley slipping? So it would throw timing out?

(03-09-2013, 04:30 PM)Grant Wrote: [ -> ]I personally would be inclined to not turn it over any more and just get on with taking it apart

You'll end up f*cking the thing completely. You said you bought it with cambelt issues. Just get on with it. Atleast its had the HG done then aswell, one less thing to worry about in the future...
Agree with Grant. You need to stop looking for a miracle and just strip it down. There is clearly something not right, it has f*ck all compression and certainly sounds like it could have made contact. The tolerances are so small with these engines, even if the belt only slipped, it most likely would do damage. The more it's turned over, the more damage you're likely to have to deal with.
If I f**k it up completely it's not end of world. I'm learning as I go here! I bought the car as a project. I agree with you the engine is all most certainly gonna have to come to bits, I'm gonna check timing and go from there
how many miles is the engine on?

cause if its around 100k dont bother just taking the head off
lift the engine and box out as it will probably need a clutch too this will make the job so much easyer
Wink
(03-09-2013, 05:36 PM)cully Wrote: [ -> ]how many miles is the engine on?

lift the engine and box out as it will probably need a clutch too this will make the job so much easyer
Wink

It's on 128,000'ish some were around that. I will strip it down see what damage is and update, but have a feeling I won't be repairing it as can see it costing to much
(03-09-2013, 07:07 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-09-2013, 05:36 PM)cully Wrote: [ -> ]how many miles is the engine on?

Wink

It's on 128,000'ish some were around that. I will strip it down see what damage is and update, but have a feeling I won't be repairing it as can see it costing to much

Then why did you buy it? :/
Bought car as project.
Realise it needs work
Give up?

I thought thay was the point of a project
If it turns out to cost you too much let me know before you get rid
Take the inlet off and you may see some valves bent, Or if you can stick some compressed air in the spark plug holes to see where it comes out (leak down test)
But it doesn;t look good
xud replacement. /threadend
I bought it as a project but was an impulse buy, I no I can make more money than I payed braking it. But the first thing is to see what the damage is, then price up what it will cost to fix if I think it's more than I got to sink in to it, it's no good for me. But I have a replacement engine lined up just the fact I don't like buying an engine I not seen running.

I haven't given up as I've not even started the project yet lol but few no me and I change my mind daily so who knows what will happen, d turbo conversion is out of the question to......

Will update when I have had chance to look at timing and start stopping it down
Mate I don't want to tell you what to do with your car/money but if it were me -

You want to see what the damage is then price it up to fix it - by keep running it its just going to go up
You have a replacement engine lined up, but you don't like buying an engine you haven't seen running - you potentially wont need a new engine, if you just MTFU and take your one apart :p

I would offer to help for the price of bacon sanis, but at just under 3 hours, you are a little to far away from me Wink

Just get the head off the thing and see whats happened. Sell it on advertising it as new HG and Cambelt kit and make back a few hundred quid to sink into the 106 Wink
(03-09-2013, 11:25 PM)Grant Wrote: [ -> ]Mate I don't want to tell you what to do with your car/money but if it were me -

You want to see what the damage is then price it up to fix it - by keep running it its just going to go up
You have a replacement engine lined up, but you don't like buying an engine you haven't seen running - you potentially wont need a new engine, if you just MTFU and take your one apart :p

I would offer to help for the price of bacon sanis, but at just under 3 hours, you are a little to far away from me Wink

Just get the head off the thing and see whats happened. Sell it on advertising it as new HG and Cambelt kit and make back a few hundred quid to sink into the 106 Wink

Thanks for the advice, I do take it on bored that is my plan pretty much, maybe even repair it if I can afford to have it sat there a while.

I'm gonna start taking it to bits in next few days and then go from there.
(04-09-2013, 06:29 AM)Chris_90 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-09-2013, 11:25 PM)Grant Wrote: [ -> ]Mate I don't want to tell you what to do with your car/money but if it were me -

Thanks for the advice, I do take it on bored that is my plan pretty much, maybe even repair it if I can afford to have it sat there a while.

I'm gonna start taking it to bits in next few days and then go from there.

Or don't waste your time. I'll give you a bit of profit on the cat you paid next to nothing anyway. I have the money and time to fix it.
if it comes for sale kent i will let you no. But as it stands now its not for sale! But there is a que as got quite a few people interested. And you say i payed next to nothing a payed what i thought i would be able to make my money back, wasnt next to nothing tho.

I have got the cambelt cover off checked the cam pulley hasn't slipped and it hasn't the rear cam lines up fine, the front cam is well out a good 90 degrees or there abouts. left it for now as got stuff to do.

Let the strip down begin......

Is it possible it could have snapped the valves off?
(04-09-2013, 09:39 AM)Chris_90 Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible it could have snapped the valves off?

It's Peugeot, anything is possible lol

(Apologies for the unhelpful post)
You need to get to the locking pin on the crankshaft. I doubt you have the engine at TDC if its 90 degrees out. You'd have mashed pistons and valves everywhere, let alone a slight clanging noise!
If the timing has jumped then you've kept turning it over a valve might well of snapped off in there.
dont rely on the lower crank pulley for tdc as the pully delaminates and slips round this causes a lot of people greif when the have a go at the timming belts cause the timing holes are off!
I've locked the engine on two points the crank pulley (it's not slipped I checked the woodruff Key is in right place) and the front cam is out the nose it made when turning over has not changed since I bought it. It's gonna need stripping down no matter what so that's what's up next
Pages: 1 2 3