306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: brake fluid on paint!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So my mates just rang me asking as he was bleeding his brakes ect and spilt some on his wing. Was on there about 15 mind before he noticed. Will that do any damage or be fine?
Get plenty and plenty of water on there. He might be lucky and it may just soften the paint a bit but if it's been on there for that long, it probably will do damage.
How long is it normally before goes tits up?
Yeah as much water as possible and leave its week before you touch it
Does it not f*ck up if you don't touch it then?
Yeah, that's probably enough to do damage. As said, any time you spill brake fluid, water.
Can't really say tbh. I took the fresh paint off my brakes within seconds but that paint was a day old.
Okay he has the hose pipe on it now low pressure and on like mist/sprinkle setting so will soon see
You want to hope it hasn't done too much damage. If it gets down to the metal, that panel will probably need replacing as you can never neutralise it properly (hence why when people do someone's car with it, they don't use nitromors. That's neutralised by water....brake fluid isn't Smile )
I never thought brake fluid was that bad on paint? Looks like I might be looking for a wing for him soon lol
You may be lucky. It all depends on how long it was on, if it was new or not (I've heard new fluid won't damage paint...how true that is I'm not sure) and the quality of the paint
Nasty stuff on paint... Likelyhood is that is will need replacing in the long run as even if the damage isn't visable now it will be at some point.
i've spilt it on the car before, washed it straight off and it was fine . . . . .
I think people are over-estimating the power of brake fluid.
Depends what it's on, how long it's on, and how old it is.

Old fluid on unlacquered paint (engine bay etc) will get under the paint and strip it in a day, new paint it can take off in minutes. Lacquered paint is generally fine if you wash it off straight away.
I'm fairly sure dum-dum has a door in his garden that has had brake fluid poured over it, i don't think people are underestimating. Wink
Not any more I dont, all went for scrap yesterday.

But yeah it does take it off well, the problem is most peoples cars you see done it has been on overnight. 15 mins might be OK, it might not. Leaving it well alone for a week or more after a load of water might let it re harden if it has done damage.
it brings cellulose paint off in minutes, but manufacturers started phasing it out in the 80's in favour of 2 pack paint.

modern 2-pack paint, once hardened should be impervious to it..if you are lucky.

its why we tell people to use clean wing covers when working under a bonnet ??
brake fluid will still strip 2 pac paint, a lad at my old workshop had a hick-up with a pressure bleeder and didnt wash the car down for about 10 mins by which point it was waayy too late, stripped the paint in patches on the roof wings and bonnet
Was it a PSA car? If so he could be lucky. If it was running LHM fluid as standard, this is far more gentle on paint than standard fluid.

The reason old brake fluid is worse on paint than newer stuff, is that the corrosion prohibitive additives degrade over time and become reactive. Hence the corrosion on older braking systems.

You will notice less corrosion on a LHM system, the same age as a glycol-based system (i.e. DOT 3 upwards).
Just to jump on someones thread what could happen if you get break fluid on rubber or electrical wires.????...im planning on changing my resovoir as i seem to have a small leak lol..i will drain it but some dripping is gunna happen....
Ps sorry to highjack a thread...
Nothing if you clean it off. Remember, there are rubber seals in your braking system anyway. Just be sure to clean it off after Smile
If what you say about the older brake fluid being better for paint stripper I may not throw the old bottle I have away!

I used it for stripping paint from small parts on models. It goes through chrome plating on plastic like teeth through butter...

[Image: 0004]
^^Quality film!
Just thought I'd bump this as it seems brake fluid is bad for paint lol....

[Image: IMAG2810_zps130cbe59.jpg]
yes brake fluid is bad for paint lmao
I poured some over one of my scrap cars roofs once. Did f*ck all not even a stain.
(17-08-2013, 05:49 PM)HDIkyle Wrote: [ -> ]I poured some over one of my scrap cars roofs once. Did f*ck all not even a stain.

Was it new fluid? Its mainly the old, used fluid that is corrosive. For the reason stated below Smile

(25-07-2013, 12:28 AM)Grant Wrote: [ -> ]Was it a PSA car? If so he could be lucky. If it was running LHM fluid as standard, this is far more gentle on paint than standard fluid.

The reason old brake fluid is worse on paint than newer stuff, is that the corrosion prohibitive additives degrade over time and become reactive. Hence the corrosion on older braking systems.

You will notice less corrosion on a LHM system, the same age as a glycol-based system (i.e. DOT 3 upwards).
Yeah, Tom, you're going to have to shift the piping as it'll have got under the paint on the crossmember underneath too, it might look okay but it'll probably rub off with a stiff brush or ever just rubbing with your finger if you check it.
(18-08-2013, 12:03 AM)Rippthrough Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, Tom, you're going to have to shift the piping as it'll have got under the paint on the crossmember underneath too, it might look okay but it'll probably rub off with a stiff brush or ever just rubbing with your finger if you check it.

It's the moonstone that I'm breaking so doesn't matter lol. Wink
Pages: 1 2