306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Oils
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Gearbox
How much do the 5 speed boxes take and does anyone know the part number from peugeot for it and how much they are going to bend me over for? I want to use the pug stuff as apparently it's one of the few that stops the stiff changes when its cold

Engine oil.
Now I know that there isn't a best oil. All I'm after is your opinion on the best oil you have used?
This will be going into a freshly rebuilt engine and I'm not overly bothered about the price. I'm spending a fair bit on the engine so don't mind spending a fair bit to keep it in good nick. Also what would most people go for? Fully synthetic?

Cheers guys
If the gearbox is a DT It needs 1.9 liters, not sure of part number though
if its the same box as my xsi, then 2 litres. no idea on the part number, i just got mine from halfrauds
Yeah 2x1 litre bottles
Gearbox oil is about £6 a litre at pug. Just go in there and ask for it. Never really needed a part number. They generally knew the part number.. i probably have a part number at home
Trick i learned from krisb when i went up there was if you have an empty gearbox oil bottle with the long tubes on top. You can get to the hole on top the gearbox and just pour the 2 litres in after the drain
£8 I just paid for 2 liters from pug

[Image: 5ac807a5-015c-3f71.jpg]
Think the p number might be the part no
Jonny b Wrote:Think the p number might be the part no

:clap:

or partie a la francais!
It's all foreign to me ha ha
I can get the part numbers tomorrow if you want. Its 2l of box oil. For both I just buy both from pug. In the end its a not particularly highly tuned 10th year old lump. It dosent need anything more than what pug recommend
Gear oil is 9736 41 for 2L But i usually am given 2 x 1L bottles. A single liter is on my invoice as PVOL0000142 at £5.83 + VAT but service box dosent like 000142 so f*ck knows what the part number is.

Engine oil I just use Total Quartz 7000 10w40.
Engine wise: Gulf Competition 10/40 seems good, fully ester synthetic, I know the GTi6 boys are over the Fuchs Titan Pro-S like a bad rash, but it caused mine, Darrens and Ed's DTs to leak like sieves...

Millers CFS Competition again is a pretty good oil, ester synthetic..
Gulf Comp ftw,

Altho im still a fan of, it makes no friggin difference as long as you change it often...as for the tranny, fill it full of water and itl probs be fine, so any oil is more than enough Smile
Used engine oil in the gearbox?

FTW!
Thats what you will find in your gearbox atm Ruan Wink hahum
Is it?

Legendary.

Please don't say it's out the tank with the heating oil, water and chunks of mud in?
Used engine oil in the gearbox, lovely stuff.... Big Grin
Dave Wrote:Used engine oil in the gearbox, lovely stuff.... Big Grin
for realsies? or am i missing sarcasm....?
Hmm wish the TU boxes were strong enough to take any old oil...... :roll:

Infact I wish they were strong enough to take 75 horses for longer than 70k miles. Doh

As for proper pug GB oil, it was £6 a litre when I got it and is the same for all pug petrol gearboxes so I was told by the parts guy anyway!
IIRC its same for the diesels too.
Dum-Dum Wrote:IIRC its same for the diesels too.

May well be, I didn't ask at the time as I didn't have one lol. Smile
Still BE boxes so yes, I'd assume it's the same oil.
Yeah, they all take Total BV gearbox oil, it's a lot thinner than most oils when cold so it changes gear better, and some oils will eat the Pug synchro's too, so best to stick to the pug stuff unless you have specific reason to change it.

Nothing wrong with the silkolene Pro-S, if it leaks after a change it's because your old oil had gunked up in all the dodgy bits that should have been leaking anyway Wink