306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Failed!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The 306 failed its MOT

both front shocks leaking.
CV joint needs replacing
2 front tyres need replacing.

£480 Sad

Katie says no to a different car, even if there is a 206 HDi with a/c for £1000 nearby!

I tried to explain to her that the car isnt worth £480. Women Rolleyes
In what world is it 480 for 2 new tyres, 2 new shockers and a CV joint....
^^ My thoughts exactly
Well don't pay that. Take it out of the garage, 2 used struts, a used drive shaft (or even new they're cheap from a factor) and whack 2 new tyres on. Then stick it back in... Could probably be done for £200
You'll get it done for less than £480 though?
Fare enough to the other things, but cars getting failed on tyre limits? That's dodgy, shouldn't be driving around on them really.
That price would be because they're new parts + the garage's % on top + labour
I have no clue about these things! Let me get the quote

Tyres - 98.50 for 2
valves 2.61 for 2
balance - 8.19 for 2
Disposal - 2.34 for 2

front toe adjustment - 34.88
Cv boot - 9.51
Labour - 37.50 (thats .75 of an hour)

Front shocks 108.45 for 2
Labour 99.99 (2 hours)

401.97 without VAT
Yeah, they're just ripping you off. It only says CV boot too? So even better. Can't believe they're charging to dispose of tyres!

Just do it yourself with second hand parts or get someone to help you, it's all very easy stuff
(18-06-2013, 04:09 PM)cpikey316_ Wrote: [ -> ]I have no clue about these things! Let me get the quote

Tyres - 98.50 for 2
valves 2.61 for 2
balance - 8.19 for 2
Disposal - 2.34 for 2

front toe adjustment - 34.88
Cv boot - 9.51
Labour - 37.50 (thats .75 of an hour)

Front shocks 108.45 for 2
Labour 99.99 (2 hours)

401.97 without VAT

Damn, and from that quote it looks like you have to provide your own lube as well! As others have said, take it out and DIY.
Ive got a pair of HDi front shocks and dampers here ready built up with top mounts and they appear to be good.

Also got a set of 14s with tyres.
Got no time though, Katie needs the car asap!

My own fault for leaving it so late.
if you pay my fuel and give me a few quid for the parts ill drop the shocks over tonight
Pm me dude.. thats expensive.
how easy is it to change the shocks? will they fit a 1.8 petrol? Bear in mind I only have limited mechanical knowledge!
Very easy to just swap them straight over. Yes they'll fit, although may sit a bit higher.
The more I check it out, the more reasonable some parts of this seem.

The cheapest tyres on etyres are £50 each, so £110 for both isnt bad!

CV boot changing I want no part of, grease and mess! A driveshaft from ECP is £108 and I have miserable memories of a nissan primera driveshaft change.

But not paying £210 for the shocks would be nice!
What size tyres? Go on Camskill and find some...

You wouldn't change a driveshaft because of a split boot... Get someone else to do that then lol
(18-06-2013, 04:37 PM)Curt Wrote: [ -> ]What size tyres? Go on Camskill and find some...

You wouldn't change a driveshaft because of a split boot... Get someone else to do that then lol

This ^^. I bought a CV boot for about a fiver from J&R something-or-other on eBay, quick postage as well.
185/65/14

Etyres cheapest was £50 a corner, for dirt cheap budgets. The garage have quoted 55, before vat.
36+3 delivery+19 fitting = 58.
But they're not "dirt cheap budgets"? £19 fitting is a lot too, I recommend you find a new garage
Garage was for Avon, I was under the understanding that they were more 'premium' budgets!
Budgets for £50 in that size? That's expensive.

£30 round here.

Alternatively, part worns?
If I order from Camskill, will they be here by the weekend? Car HAS to be in for a new MOT on saturday, as Katie needs it for work on Sunday.
Camskill has always been next day for me. Avons are good too, if you're happy just go with them
£55 doesnt seem too unreasonable for Avons and I have always been happy with them.

Dum-Dum you still here? How much you want for those shocks?
can buy a set of swallows etc, even lazers or cyclones with decent tyres for £100!
http://www.grippy.co.uk/

Are local to you, and have decent prices, full mobile fitting service.
Thought of a 2nd set of wheels, but there arent any cheapies on ebay locally!

Tigerstyle, they are more expensive than the place I went to, for the tyres they quoted me (Avon ZV3)
Pages: 1 2