306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Vague/wobbly steering
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Right i've known this for ages but never thought to do anything about it, but its becoming a problem and its not giving me the confidence to throw the car into corners like it should be so who knows what could be my problem??
I have had the drivers side wheel up and checked for play by wobbling the wheel and there was nothing but i do have a knock from that side when i go over bumps (drop links)
But i didnt check the passenger side (just a pain with no flat ground and not being able to get your jack under it :/
Just if people dont quite understand the problem if im driving straight at speed 30 50 70 whatever and shake the steering wheel the car wont shake but the wheel will, as if theres play between the steering wheel and the driving wheels.. well that was long winded
Wheels are probably not balanced properly. You could take them to your local tyre fitters and get them to check them for you.
Scott Wrote:Wheels are probably not balanced properly. You could take them to your local tyre fitters and get them to check them for you.
Surely that would just give me wheel wobble? Not make my steering feel inaccurate :/
I read the last part wrong there. My bad :?
So your saying the steering wheel can turn without it turning the wheels!
Yes at speed if you shake the wheel there is play between the steering wheel moving and the road wheels moving :/ Doesnt exactly inspire confidence lol
Worn rack? Knackered PAS pump?
How many miles has it done, as said check the rack
Jonny b Wrote:check the rack
:dance:
Tut tut grow up scott we are having a mature conversation here

Ha ha
Only 110,000 not much really :/ The power steering works fine though, i was thinking about changing the fluid but dont know how to do it.

How does one go about checking the rack?
Worn track rod ends?
Dont think so as there was no play in the wheel.. Im thinking it has to be a bush somewhere :/ Just need to get a ramp and test everything..
First thing to check would be track rod ends, then track rods, then the steering wheel joint and then the UJ on the actual column