306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Heavy clutch...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
...Is this normal? Had the car since late last year,its always been the same. Clutch is bloody heavy,horrible in traffic if im honest....Bugs me a bit about the car.

Its a ph2 1.8 16v if that helps?
The auto adjusters seize up on them a new cable will more than likely sort it
Any more info on this fella? Is it a hard/fiddly job? Not really that clued up on these yet
306s are notorious for heavy clutches especially the XU engined ones. Id recommend a new one if its really heavy!
(12-06-2013, 09:15 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]306s are notorious for heavy clutches especially the XU engined ones. Id recommend a new one if its really heavy!

What,new clutch? Tbh the release bearing is ever so slightly noisy. Car is on 98k.

Also can anyone let me know about cambelt changes?
How often?
Yeah new clutch. Also do a new cable at the same time as these can cause problems with premature wear on clutches.

1.8 cambelt is every 60k or 5 years however peugeot changed the times and mileage for the gti engine to 30k or 4 years due to a high number of them snapping. Seeing as the engines are based on the same design, id stick to that with the 1.8. If your confident doing it your self, your looking at £80 for a Contitech belt kit and about £30 for a waterpump.
(12-06-2013, 09:24 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah new clutch. Also do a new cable at the same time as these can cause problems with premature wear on clutches.

1.8 cambelt is every 60k or 5 years however peugeot changed the times and mileage for the gti engine to 30k or 4 years due to a high number of them snapping. Seeing as the engines are based on the same design, id stick to that with the 1.8. If your confident doing it your self, your looking at £80 for a Contitech belt kit and about £30 for a waterpump.

Ok thanks. Im not confident in doing it myself tbh. Ill get it booked in. Not sure when it was last done.
Yeah get it done. Unfortunately these are not non interference engines and if that belt goes, thats good bye engine.
Hmm. Better get it booked in asap then. For piece of mind. Would be a shame if it went.
I replaced my 'box, clutch cable, genuine clutch and clutch arm bushes on mine. It was lovely and light for about 10 presses of the pedal...
They will never be light as they are cable operated but im sure yours must of been stupidly stiff like my old one just before you replaced it curt?
Oh yeah of course. Mine was the heaviest I and everyone else had felt lol but no it wasn't much better after at all really
ah see im on a new genuine clutch now for about 8k and its heavy but still comfortable. But my idea of heavy is probably different to most on here seeing as the daily wagon has a nice hydro clutch that a fart could move