306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Loads Of Pedal Travel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Over the past week or so I've developed a problem, I'm getting loads of pedal travel in the brake pedal and when stationary I can push it all the way down. However, it hasn't lost any fluid and I still have brakes, just have to push the pedal a lot further for them.

Over the last month or so I've had a hissing sound from around the pedal after I've come off it and I think this may be the cause. If I press the pedal once, then again, as if to pump it, it gets harder like it should.

Any ideas on what is going on?
mines does this too, i put it down to air in the pipes, but i havnt actually done anything about it yet, so i dont know :/
ill be interested to hear what others think
brake servo or split brake servo to inlet manifold pipe causing a air leak would be my guess
That would make the pedal harder....

It'd check see if you've got a weep at a fitting or line, and try holding pressure on the pedal with the servo on and off to see if it creeps at all
Aye as rip said, leave the engine off and pump the pedal and then check for any creep, will be either a leak or a tired flexi hose expanding
Would creep mean that when the pedal is hard it gradually goes down under pressure?
Yeah, slowly goes down toward floor.
Nope, didn't do that, was still hard from when I was playing around with it earlier and didn't creep at all.
bigcheez2k3 Wrote:Nope, didn't do that, was still hard from when I was playing around with it earlier

lmao

Sorry, that is all
Curt Wrote:
bigcheez2k3 Wrote:Nope, didn't do that, was still hard from when I was playing around with it earlier

lmao

Sorry, that is all

What's that, your creating a new sig did you say Curt?? lol
Had an attempt to bleed them today and the bleed nipple broke so they either need to be drilled out or new calipers :roll:
My xs had this and it was down to a corroded brake pipe in the engine bay. Never got it fixed though as it was one of the many reasons I got the car scrapped!
My 1.4 starting doing this and in the end the pedal went straight to the floor and i had no brakes coming off a round about and stopped in on the handbrake in a layby... New master cylinder was how the garage solved it... just check the levels each time you go for a drive!
Id be f*cked if it happened to me then, handbrake works once a year at its MOT.
^^ this lol
I rebuilt my rear calipers about 2 years ago handbrake has been sweet as nut ever since
One of those jobs ive been getting round to. Since i bought the car.. last February. Big Grin.
Well worth doing bud got sick of my car rolling off
My handbrake worked perfectly and then I did a hand brake turn and I was surprised at how good it was! and its never been as good since... doh! Like it still works for holding the car but it wont handbrake turn any more Sad
Probably binding slightly bud with stiff pistons you won't notice to much tbh but it puts too much heat in the pads and discs while driving that's why you can't do a maccy d's turn ha ha, mine used to hold the car just about, but now it's awesome
Ive got pretty used to sticking it in gear but do fully intend to refurb my callipers soon!
Could try greasing up the handbrake mechanism in the calipers, when we put mine on one was a bit shitted up and dry, greased it up while moving it. Might not make much of an improvement but made mine work a little easier.
Already tried that mate, needs a full strip down and refurb, fit my braided lines whilst im there and its future proofed for a while then!
Changed the rear calipers now and when I took the lines off no fluid came out so something was definitely wrong there.