306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Clutch - maybe?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm not overly technical so please bear with me while I try and explain the problem.

The car in question is a 1995 306 Phase 1 xsi
While I know the clutch is heavy on 306's something just isn't right..

With the engine off or from cold I can easily change gears, but after about 30 mins of city driving it becomes harder and harder to engage/disengage gears to the point where I have to stop, wait 5-10 mins with the bonnet open for everything cool down a little, then it's fine again.

What I have noticed is that just before the problem starts the revs will drop from 1000 to 800 when idle with my foot on the clutch.

Just preparing myself for the bill Sad

Any thoughts or pointers I could check before heading to the garage?

Thanks
Sounds like the release bearing is on the way out maybe?
Low on gearbox oil maybe?
stretched clutch cable maybe? Wink

..but thanks for the replies chaps, really appreciate it!
A clutch cable isn't gonna shrink when you leave it 5 mins though lol.

I personally don't think its the release bearing either.

You can easily check/replace gearbox oil yourself though, doesn't cost much either.
Yeah, first step is change the 'box oil. It's £16 (IIRC) from Peugeot for 2 litres, ignore the fact that the 'box needs 2.2 litres, 2 is fine. Drain it all out from the big plug on the bottom of the diff, check it's not full of filings and bits of cogs, replace the plug and stick the new oil in, this is a ballache as the plug is at a really arkward angle. Best way I found of filling it involves some wine tubing attached to the bottom of a small funnel.
I just used a paper funnel while the airbox was out to fill mine lol........
(20-05-2013, 09:26 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]I just used a paper funnel while the airbox was out to fill mine lol........

Good shout, never tried that.
Thanks chaps!
Will try changing the gearbox oil at the weekend - does the car need to be up on a ramp for me to do this?
Wanted to have a mooch at the air-filter anyway, so I'll give the paper funnel idea a go while it's out Smile

Oh I take it finding filings and bits of cogs would be a bad thing, and if I do then its a trip to the garage?
If you do find loads of bits it's borrowed time 'till the box shits itself TBH, but that could be years.
Yeah, if it comes out looking like this then that's not good.....and it means you've probably bought a 1.4....... lol

[Image: Photo-0023-1.jpg]
Thanks for the updates chaps.
least I know what to look for if i've downgraded my engine Wink
Been thinking about it, I'm going to have the clutch replaced, what are peoples thoughts on the Black Diamond Sport Clutch Kit?

Hmmm or do I go with a Sachs part number: SA3000438001