306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Worst nightmare!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, new user here running a 2001GTI-6

Had that awful day of days with a recently acquired car when you take it to the rolling road ang get nothing like standard power from the run.

Car is very tidy, doesnt burn oil, was getting decent CO which suggests mixture was fine and was running 99 octane which might be a little high for a standard ECU?

Also runs a powerflow backbox which i will probably replace as it achieves little.

Result was 136 est flywheel bhp, about 30 down on standard on a well serviced car done 90,000 miles. Which suggests domething is clearly amiss.

OK, i am not daft and would expect an older car to lose a little power over time, but 30hp us a fair bit.

Any suggestions or experiences from you guys?

My next course is a diagnostic to see if ECU throws any faults at me, perhaps a compression check and maybe an injector clean. Other than that I am not sure.
Was the rolling road known to be accurate?
It is reputsble yes and a friend of mine had just had some work done on a van with high mileage and achieved goid results
It is in Aylesbury
Has the car had a cam belt recently?
Where in aylesbury?
Ok I have only had the car for a couple of months, cam belt was changed in late 2012 by previous owner

Rolling road was DSA on the industrial estate, he didn't know much about Peugeots but as I say guy with TD5 Transporter I know had results that compared well with what was expected.

I haven't done any mech checks for compression or done a diagnostic to see if there are any ECU issues, it aint burning oil to suggest rings or anything?

Blocked injector or very poor injector? Would the ECU richen up the others to make the difference, Lambda was fine apparently, running normal on monitor?
What gear was it run in??
Oh 4th, he did 4 runs.

All were about 136-137 FW hp, which is about 30 down ish on what a GTI-6 should be

Wheel HP was so pathetic I cant even write it down!

Thing is I cant relaly say as I haven't driven another or compared, so it could be a duffer, more likely an issue for the car though
What 6 is this mate and where do u live?
Hey fella, its a early 2001 x plate.
I live in Stevenage.
Something very amiss, Injector theory could be but having mine at 285,000 miles without any work at all still making 169 bhp on a couple of different RR's much to most people's amazement I;ve never really seen it to be a issue unless driven around town all it's life.
What CAT has it got? pattern ones are pretty c**p but a compression test and a leak down test are worth looking at
It has a powerflow on a standard system but i will likely go back standard. Not sure a cat would restrict you that much?
I dont know really, cant think what else, could be a few things.
Right then

Had a good old dig around this afternoon looking at a few things to see anything obvious!

Then found this? If you can recognise it, is a pipe going into the inlet coming off a huge inlet hose, the smaller pipe is completely split?

Surely this is losing a lot of inlet air and pressure?

I cant seem to attach pictures on here? Can anyone explain this??
Can attach on a full post, not quick posting.

Also can upload using photo bucket image shack etc
I think I have managed it now fella thanks, any ideas guys? Could this be losing me 30 hp!

Lol I hope its this simple!!
I doubt it could lose you that much. Does it tap loudly from the top end even when warm? Easy to do the cambelt wrong and bend a couple of valves slightly... Search "tapper". Or PM Ed Doe, he knows all about it lol
That hose in your pic is just the air feed to your ICV. Wont make a difference to performance at all but it does mean unfiltered air is getting into your engine so id fix it sharpish!

Im thinking you could do with a compression test. I think the belt may have been done at some point and not timed up correctly. Whats it like on fuel?
I cant really tell what fuel is like, I haven't really run it for long runs, it seems OK actually. But I usually run decent stuff not .95.

Belt was done late last year, so you are right it might be something

Havent noticed a tapping, but then I don't know the car yet to know, but will check
Any chance you can get a video of it being started up and running?
I can try dude yes

Under bonnet shot I presume?
please mate. Just want to have a listen to it
OK will have to get a guy to film it for me, cant do startup and vid without someone helping lol!

Tomorrow sometimes hopefully
I have a brand new filter which attaches onto that pipe there buddy - rip speed one from halfords £10 and its yours if coming to Ace
Whats this Ace stuff you are going on about?

Is there a meet or something? I might pop down and see if any of you guys can see what's going on!!
Aha, OK, this might be worth going along to then
- filthy airfilter
- collapsed cat
- timing hugely out
- stretched throttle cable not getting full throttle?
- something wrong with the head to mess up the compression (couldn't be rings as otherwise you'd be losing oil)
- replaced engine with a xsi 2.0 16v lol ?
Maybe all of the above loL!

Never though about throttle cable! What a good one, blimey the list gets longer!