306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Stop light on HDi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Right,

The stop light keeps coming on after I've been driving my HDi for about a mile. It's usually when the engine is cool and normally goes off after a few seconds. However, on occasion it will continue on and off for about a minute. I've also noticed a "stutter" when the light first comes on.

Does anyone have any ideas? The car was recently serviced and otherwise drives great
Just a thought here, bear with me..

Have you tried, y'know, *stopping*?
The stop light normally means somethings majorly wrong and you need to turn off the engine immediately if not sooner. Get a fault code reader on there and see what it brings up.
Whatever you do don't stop
The stop light is useless in my experience....it doesn't actually mean stop, it might as well just be an eml. It cones on for daft things like fans failing.....where you want to speed up to get airflow! And doesn't come on for major issues like blowing a hose and loosing most of the coolant, or having no visible brake fluid in the res after quick fit made a mess of bleeding lol...

Anyway, probably best to get codes read tbh, if it stutters when the light comes on then there obviously is an issue....and probably fuelling related pump/injectors etc.
i'm collecting lights in my HDI van . . got 3 on up to press . . .just saying . .lol
only ever came on in my 1.8 when it overheated because the fans werent working and i didnt realise D:
Agree with above, I've only ever seen it come on on the XUD when it overheated
Well, an update on the problem.

I've noticed when the stop light is on the interior lights and headlights also dim. Possible alternator fault?
It's also sometimes idling to slowly, at about 500rpm.
I'd say that or battery? If you stick it in first and slow down till the engine nearly stalls the stop light comes on.

Not enough power?
The battery is only a year old and is a heavy duty one, so doubt it is that.
If you've got another one, might be worth trying it rather than ruling it out just because it's only a year old mate. At least then you can be sure
So which fault codes did you find?