306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: 283mm issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Right guys, Having an issue with the 283mm calipers on kerrys XSI , they arnt excessivly old, id say they have only done 115k , But have a really strange issue.

Symptoms:

Really matalicy rattle over bumps
Inconsistan pedal feel
pedal feels extreamly spongy (even on the good end of the inconsistancy)
the middle part of the caliper (circled in red below) is reall loose to the feel,

This is where the rattle is coming from when driving, if you give the wheel a good kick you can recreat the rattle, press down hard on the caliper with your hand and kick the wheel again , this deaden's the rattle, now the sliders are as tight as possible, as is the caliper, also no oil leaks anywhere,

So is this the symptons of shagged sliders? or are the calipers trash?
What parts circled In what now! Lol
The rattle is shagged sliders. If you grab the calliper (not the mount obviously) then you will be able to rattle it all over the place.
Are you 100% sure that the carrier is tight to the hub? Because I've had issues before where no matter how tight you do the bolts, there's still a bit of movement in the carrier.

Apart from that, check all the flexi hoses and give them a good bleed through.
(28-04-2013, 07:33 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: [ -> ]Are you 100% sure that the carrier is tight to the hub? Because I've had issues before where no matter how tight you do the bolts, there's still a bit of movement in the carrier.

Apart from that, check all the flexi hoses and give them a good bleed through.

Yeah 110% the caliper its self is tight , Not to fussed about finding the spongy problem right now if its not related to the other issue (car not in use daily)

I really need to find out why its so epicly loose even know the slidders are dog tight?

(28-04-2013, 07:30 PM)Jonny b Wrote: [ -> ]What parts circled In what now! Lol

My bad

(28-04-2013, 07:32 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]The rattle is shagged sliders. If you grab the calliper (not the mount obviously) then you will be able to rattle it all over the place.

Edited the bit above is loose, sliders?
Yep that bit is the actual calliper. The bit it sits on is the yolk.
(28-04-2013, 07:41 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Yep that bit is the actual calliper. The bit it sits on is the yolk.

Dont go getting technical! its the movy abouty bit!!! lol, is the sponge in the peadal realted or is it coinsidence?

Also any one point me in the right direction for sliders? all ones on ebay seem to be for bosch?
For sliders look at bigred.com. They are great for brake parts.
(28-04-2013, 07:45 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]For sliders look at bigred.com. They are great for brake parts.

I dont think a chilled drink will make a good replacment for brakes???

did you mean biggred.co.uk? lol
haha my bad lol. Yeah .co.uk!
they dont do sliders just seals/pistons or am i being blinde?
Phone them in the morning. They are very helpful and they can get most stuff even if its not on their site.
They do them but you may have to phone them
Why not ring them? See if they can get them in specially?
Ok cool, i'll give them a bell tomorrow and get that sorted ThumbsUp

cheers for the help guys, much love x
They do sell the slider pins for GTi callipers, ginge solved this problem a while back. He got in contact with bigred and sent them out a pin. Turns out that its the same as an Astra slider pin. But bear in mind, that it might not be the pin, you might be chucking a hotdog down an alley way
(28-04-2013, 09:33 PM)Connor Wrote: [ -> ]you might be chucking a hotdog down an alley way

and i just thought for a sloppy lady garden lol
are lucus 266 sliders the same?
(28-04-2013, 07:57 PM)puglove Wrote: [ -> ]
(28-04-2013, 07:45 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]For sliders look at bigred.com. They are great for brake parts.

I dont think a chilled drink will make a good replacment for brakes???

did you mean biggred.co.uk? lol

If the flexies are the originals, that will cause a soft pedal feel. For the sake of a about a fiver a side, change them over and stick some new fluid in, you'll see a world of difference
Are there springs in the top of the pads that sit tight to the top of the caliper if so make sure there in right had this a few times at work with people's cars
pretty sure they are but i will double check when i get a chance
Skipped reading all this. But on the old hdi I had the same rattle you described. I was driving down the road when my brakes disapeared but with a few pumps they came back a little. Drove the cat home slowly to find out it was the slider had worked its was loose fell out and one of my pads came out and the other twisted.

Make sure you have the little clip in place that holds the slider.
so we rang biggred they dont do them. & peugeot want £48 for them . so where eles can i get them
Biggred do them...
Slider pins? They do do them... Reread my post
(14-05-2013, 07:30 PM)Connor Wrote: [ -> ]Slider pins? They do do them... Reread my post

from what mk/engine astra though? lol
No idea, try an find ginges thread, all will be explained
@ this. The thread is on .net.
Let me get home and I'll copy over the info.

Regarding the pm Jamie, Is got confused with the size of the GTI caliper, it is for the GTI size.

Be home tonight ThumbsUp

I'll facebook you when I find it
(29-04-2013, 07:56 AM)kentiiboii Wrote: [ -> ]Drove the cat home

Sorry for off topic but i think a pellowe photo shop of that would be ace Big Grin
Pages: 1 2