306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Dodgy Bob's Estate *MOT* £600ish Pass
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[attachment=6602]
So it's about time I got a little project thread going, not going to be anything spectacular, in fact will be more of a semi-restoration with a little personalisation and mild tuning along the way.
Starts out I got it as a non-runner local to me off eBay for £300, had it recovered to work and diagnostics done, few bashes of the in tank pump with a hammer and it stuttered to life (at this point I had a smug little grin on my face for finally getting lucky with a car) so straight on the phone to gloat at the fella I'd just bought it from, down to ECP, brand new pump for £61 ThumbsUp
So from then on I've pretty much just run it as is except for things that needed doing badly, so new discs and pads all round, n/s rear caliper after it seized, then a few weeks later the o/s rear caliper for the same problem. The cat then split open and had already been previously welded so used that as a excuse to get and fit a de-cat, and its been serviced twice.
So what's actually wrong with it? Well the engine runs spot on, no problems as yet. Front suspension: Buggered. Rear beam: Buggered too.
The Plan:
Well front end is gona be rebuilt, got the top mounts, shocks, and springs off toms306 and already got the TRE's, droplinks, and ball-joints although it has since come to my attention that they're 16mm so probably useless so probably gona buy some Meyle HD control arms with the ball joints attached unless anyone has a handy suggestion for a control arm - bolt on ball joint combo that's good and won't break the bank?
The rear end is now deteriorating rapidly, very bad camber on n/s rear and if any weight is in the back the noises it makes are terrible. So the plan for the back is save (or batter the credit card when they increase my limit) and get a refurbed IMAxle, and seeing as I'm there might aswell get new mounts and shocks aswell, any suggestions for these is also welcome as its around £100 for the 4 mounts from ECP but I've been looking at the solid options aswell as the eBay specials but I'm a bit dubious about the quality of some items on eBay.
Also I've got a new Bosal mid-section delivered today so will fit that and use the old mid as the back-box.
So once all that's done will probably be rear windows tinted, wind deflectors, maybe a ecosse spoiler or something similar, smooth off grill and bonnet, stage 1 mapping and just a general tidy up.
Will do pics and updates as things finally get done and any help, suggestions and opinions along the way will be greatly appreciated.

Oh and hopefully along the way a nice set of cyclones until can afford the wheels I want, which although they ain't anything special they are the ones I know I want.
[attachment=6603]
That is some major camber right there lol
good plans...agree to rear camber, beam looks buggered!
Another estate. Nice ill be waching this 1.
more estates! Big Grin
Well finally got round to doing the midbox to back box conversion today :-) used a new Bosal mid off eBay and reused the old mid for the back, nice little burble now and much better throttle response.
[attachment=6646]
Theres something, dodgy, about this Wink muahahaha

Bad jokes aside, Good job fixing up the motor! You'll be craving more power before you know it Smile
Well not really anything news worthy going on with the car, going over options for the rear axle, MOT on the 24th this month so need to get as much done as possible, need to get some wish bones and balljoints so can do the whole front end in one go but gona cost £120 for the meyle HD ones and I got no car money until the 23rd the day before the MOT so not good unless anyone knows of any cheaper alternatives for now? Spent 2.5hrs today changing the power steering ram, total bitch of a job on ramps outside the house to say there were only four connections! Plenty of scrapes and cuts cuz access was a pain for big hands, on the plus no leaks now, not so sure tho but something feels different on full left lock, and also no cover protecting the ram cuz it was a mess so was cut off. Got the quote off Jord on the gti6 forum for the axle but too much for now so thinking of being the guinea pig and buying the ECP refurbed axle for now even if it only last a year or two it's time to save for the decent option.
So it's MOT time, currently sat in National, pretty certain it's a fail but at least will have a worksheet for Saturdays project.
Have now got everything to rebuild the front, spring mount and strut assembly from toms306, new wishbones, balljoints, tres, droplinks all to be done Saturday, then hopefully in for a quick retest and legal for another year.
Will be posting the failure sheet shortly I expect.
1. Near side rear radius arm has excessive play in a pin/bearing
2. Offside front (spring) Suspension has inadequate clearance with the chassis.
3. Offside rear parking brake recording little or no effort.
4. Parking brake efficiency below requirements.

Calling ECP now to see how quickly they can get the refurbed axles they advertising.
Anyone got any ideas where or how to get a decent or refurbed axle by Saturday?

[attachment=7314]

Just got off the phone to ECP they say they need to ring around so called IMAxles, the fella there told me they were the ones who supplied ECP with the axles, he has them in stock and could dispatch so jus called ECP back to get them to chase it up in the hope they could order and courier it up here by Saturday, then I can knock over £80 off IM price by ordering it off ECP and using the club discount code. Lets see what responses I get in the next half hour.
Definately not a bad fail then Smile All that is easy to sort.
Easy yes, but the axle is bloody expensive. So I eased the pain (lie...... i made it worse financially speaking) by treating myself to a 170 Halfords advanced tool kit :-)

Question. Seeing as the current MOT doesn't expire until midnight tomorrow would it still be technically legal to drive down to Nottingham to collect a axle from IMAxles or would it not now a refusal note has been issued?
Pretty sure it over writes your old mot. Ah yeah easy but not cheap haha.
Finally passed the MOT this morning, after throwing near on £600 at the car in the past week!
Had a recon rear axle, springs, struts, mounts, wishbones, ball joints, track rod ends, 2 MOT fails, and replacing a 4month old caliper that was goosed that kept us guessing.
Pain in the feckin arse but at least she's sitting nicely now, time to start looking at remaps, tints, alloys etc.