306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: 306 HDi Coolant Heater
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Coolant heater removed from my HDi. Would probably benefit from a set of new glowplugs due to thier age, you could just check them though.

No idea what to ask for it as theres none on ebay! Ideal to retrofit onto non-HDis to aid warming up as well...

£6 courier cost so, £20 posted?

[Image: Breaking30612011_zpsd15f3cf4.jpg]

Cheers
Tom
Sorry to spam your for sale but do they have these on 306's? I've seen them on Picasso hdi's etc but not on a 306 hdi. Mine takes FOREVER to warm up just wondering If this could be the problem.
Well yeah I'd hope so since I removed it from my 306.... lol

I've seen them on all the 306 HDis I've worked on so far. Smile
Ahh sweet will have a look. Get me some new plugs as the thing stays stone cold all day long even with new thermostat etc in.
How cold? They dont normally pass 75c at all...and take ages to get there....
I have one of these from the 2.1 engine...considering fitting it....I guess its just run off a relay and sensor?? Confused
Umm, not sure tbh, it must be seperate from the engine glow plug relay as they're obviously not on for long, Id hope the coolant heater works for longer or it'd be pretty pointless. Cully is probably the man to ask about electrics tbh.
Are the plugs that go in these the same that go in the engine?
Honestly don't know tbh, maybe check servicebox? Smile
hmmm...ta mate...will think on this....wonder what draw they take....

oh where in the coolant system is this fitted???

(sorry for the hijack mate, last Q!)
6462 T7 water reheater costS £172 new. It doesn't show the plugs separately.
£172??? holy cow....for a chunk of alloy with 4 glow plugs??!
(12-04-2013, 08:01 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]hmmm...ta mate...will think on this....wonder what draw they take....

oh where in the coolant system is this fitted???

(sorry for the hijack mate, last Q!)

It goes on the pipe going to the heater matrix and the unit bolts to the gearbox.
so....coolant runs from head to heater block to matrix?
heater relay is controlled by the ecu on the hdi Wink
no not the same plugs as the engine
tom it would be good if you can remove a plug to identify it for everyone Wink
Sorry for the thread hijack Tom.
[Image: SL740739_zps3755355e.jpg]

Can you see it below the inlet pipe?
Don't worry about the hijack...I'm just as intrigued as you guys are lol. Smile

But having seen the new price, maybe I should raise mine a bit! lol

(12-04-2013, 08:07 PM)cully Wrote: [ -> ]tom it would be good if you can remove a plug to identify it for everyone Wink

How will it be identifiable? Written on the plug somewhere? I'll plusgas them tomorow and try removing one then. Smile
It maybe ecu controlled...but there must be a HUGE relay somewhere to supply the power....hmmmm....

thanks for the piccy
(12-04-2013, 08:22 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]It maybe ecu controlled...but there must be a HUGE relay somewhere to supply the power....hmmmm....

thanks for the piccy

yes i think two relays not checked that though
(12-04-2013, 08:30 PM)cully Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-04-2013, 08:22 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]It maybe ecu controlled...but there must be a HUGE relay somewhere to supply the power....hmmmm....

thanks for the piccy

yes i think two relays not checked that though

It's 2 relays and 2 fuses I believe there in the black box on the back of the ecu mount
When its cold outside it only reaches 60ish degrees even after 20ish miles. Now the weathers warm its no nearly as bad and gets up to running temp 80ish degrees at a more reasonable time.

Had a look at mine after work and yea it has one bolted to the gearbox and the wiring goes to a black box behind he ecu with relays in.
Will test it all for power etc next week at work somewhen. Presume it only cuts in when very cold?
Btw, I should still have the relay and relay holder if you know which one it is....I kept the ecu related bits, fuseboxes, and relays....

Also I've never seen a hdi hit 80c and ive had two in the last 8 months lol. I'm just wondering if there's different opening temps for the stats or something?

I also found out that just cruising the hdi would never heat up, thought the fans were stuck on but they werent! Got fed up of the poor mpg and the annoyingly slow cold map so started driving harder in the morning to get heat into it....and it seemed to work, headgasket was fine when I removed it too surprisingly, as that's what I was most worried about eith hard driving from cokd!
I thought driving it hard from cold usually does the bores and pistons in? There's a guy at work that kains his car past our building and in around six months his new cars usually starts to burn oil, you can see blue smoke from the exhaust as his loading the engine.
Back in my 1.4 days headgaskets would pop with the slightest throttle from cold lol.

I didn't thrash it, just drove it normally really, as if it was hot, rather than changing at 1500rpm and barely touching the throttle until warm - because it never would warm up in 15miles at constant 40mph otherwise.

Bores and pistons are fine too, no marks or scores at all.

Although everythings a bit looser when cold so I would expect some oil to pass the rings if that guy redlines it from cold everywhere lol.
I noticed with a new stat in my xud it just wouldnt get up to proper temp....n certainly not like it used to...

swapped for the old one and its great....

the new one had little machined holes to allow some coolant to pass through....duno why but it didnt get up to temp for AGES due to that