306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: bike!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thinking about cycling to work sometimes. To save money and lose some fat!

Now, I just want a cheap one, but the ones on ebay look a bit ropey. All the local ones anyway!

Would I be better off getting a dirt cheap new one from Halfords? £100 would get me their cheapest one
What ever you do, dont buy a halfords own brand one. I used to build them and you would be shocked at the build quality of the frames and some of the ones they used to make us chuck out on the shop floor were just dangerous and needed destroying.

Get a rallyeigh or something like that. No frills but good quality.
Cycle to work scheme mate. Get the gov't to put up some of the costs, you've put the tax in so why not get a little something back?

Have a google buddy, my boss has just done it through work and probably cycles to work 10 times a year lol
(07-04-2013, 08:20 PM)C.A.R. Wrote: [ -> ]Cycle to work scheme mate. Get the gov't to put up some of the costs, you've put the tax in so why not get a little something back?

Have a google buddy, my boss has just done it through work and probably cycles to work 10 times a year lol

I think thats only for companies that are part of the scheme. I dont think any one can just apply if you get me. Could be wrong though!
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/store...&langId=-1

this is the cheapo bike in questions
Dont touch it. Seriously, they are made like shit. We were chucking them out on the shop floor with cracked welds ready to sell and ALOT came like that. Apollo were the same as well.
I have a carrera (halfords own brand) and i find it pretty good. Nowhere in comp to my old Kona but still for a XC bike i cant fault it,
Carerra are fine. They arent halfords bikes. E.g the old carerra full sus was a kona stinky frame.
problem is the starting price the them is probably about £300 now?!
I picked up a Specialized Hardrock for about £120 on ebay last year. It was used and a couple years old but would have been £300 originally so it's good quality. Have a look.
Got mine from city dump for 2 quid only needed new inner tube Big Grin
Another vote for Carrera, should be cheap second hand.
If all you want to do is cycle to work and back then get that one you linked to. Its nothing exciting, or pretty, but it does what it says on the tin. For your budget you will not find much else new.
Didnt want to spend too much, since I wont be using it THAT much!

Not sure if my employer participates in that work scheme!
If that's all you want from it then it will be fine. Cheap, no thrills cycling Smile
Its cycling! itll be painful and hard!

If I wanted thrills, i'd drive! lol