306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Steering issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Cut a long story short cant put my finger on the vibration coming through the steering wheel over rough road!
Rack ends have been changed
Track rod ends
Lower arms
Arb links
All of the above we're shot and the car drives a million times better but it's still not right! The only other thing I can think of is the racks had it?? Any one got any ideas cause I'm scratching my head??
I got a horrible vibration through the wheel a couple of months ago.

It was a driveshaft though...
Wheels still balanced?

I really need to sort mine before something breaks. It's bearable uo to 65mph but above that it's quite violent.
(01-04-2013, 06:39 PM)Dale Wrote: [ -> ]Cut a long story short cant put my finger on the vibration coming through the steering wheel over rough road!
Rack ends have been changed
Track rod ends
Lower arms
Arb links
All of the above we're shot and the car drives a million times better but it's still not right! The only other thing I can think of is the racks had it?? Any one got any ideas cause I'm scratching my head??

I done exactly the same thing as you on my 6 last year spent ££££££ changing everything ........................ Turned out to be drive shafts
Cheers for the input guys! The only thing I have left now that's not been changed is the rack Sad just seems strange as it will do it sometimes there's no pattern to it! Just feels like play in the rack ends but it's 100% not them! But if you put the car on the ramp and lock the wheels over you can feel it through the wheel not the steering wheel btw lol
I appear to be having this exact problem, no idea what it is :/ had it on the ramp and no play in nothing, but when driving it just feels shit :/
I know what you mean chap but mine is real strange some times it's there and sometimes it's not! I've got a pair of top mounts to change cause there shot but that won't sort it out I'm pretty sure I've got play in the rack!
You checked the UJ's on the steering column?
Have you checked for play in the actual tie rods? Mine feels vague at times and they were an advisory on mine last mot
have you checked the inner joint on the o/s shaft??

changed mine last year...cured a host of issues.

Has the inner ARb bushes been done too???...very cheap option
(04-04-2013, 06:50 AM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]have you checked the inner joint on the o/s shaft??

changed mine last year...cured a host of issues.

Has the inner ARb bushes been done too???...very cheap option

I was thinking about that the other night as it passes through the mount bolted to the subframe! Up on the ramp tonight noticed the rear engine mount is shot so that won't be helping and the strut top mounts are worn as well! Will change all of the above and report back!

(03-04-2013, 10:11 PM)Tom Wrote: [ -> ]You checked the UJ's on the steering column?

I haven't nor the rack mounts so will be another port of call the weekend!
Ooooo the bolts that hold the rack in, i should check those! Good shout my man! Keep us up to date on the other stuff you change, i dont even know how my top mounts are :/