306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Writing a CV/Jobhunting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm fed up of working at Pizza Hut doing deliveries so I'm rewriting my CV, as the old one didn't seem to be getting me anywhere, and on the job hunt. Since breaking my turbo, about 4-5 weeks ago, I think I've done around 10 hours at work so want a job that doesn't require me to drive to earn my money. Travelling to and from is fine, I have the car(when it's fixed), old moped or bicycle.

Does anyone have any tips for writing a CV? I've got it most of the way done but want to make it the best I can.
Mine was wrote by a so called 'Professional CV maker' if you wanna use mine as a template?
Simple, informative and to the point IMO.
Thats how mine is. Covers my job history, qualifications (or lack of) and previous experiences as well as a little bio. Covers a double sided a4 page.

type it up nicely, nothing fancy, nice and clear and get several people to read it over. I found it hard to write mine without either underselling my self or sounding like im god.
Then, if your handing them in by hand, print it on good quality paper, neatly presented with a small cover letter tailored to that job

eg.
Dear sirs
Please find enclosed my CV for job titled 'anal damage inspector'. I believe i will be a good match for this job because i am a arse bandit

keep the CV universal but do the bragging about why your good in the cover letter but keep it fairly brief.
Oh yeah ^ I also have a cover letter template if you want that too?
please can i have a looksee im building a portfolio as ive got an interview on the 3rd so pointers are good
(17-03-2013, 09:33 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Simple, informative and to the point IMO.
Thats how mine is. Covers my job history, qualifications (or lack of) and previous experiences as well as a little bio. Covers a double sided a4 page.

type it up nicely, nothing fancy, nice and clear and get several people to read it over. I found it hard to write mine without either underselling my self or sounding like im god.
Then, if your handing them in by hand, print it on good quality paper, neatly presented with a small cover letter tailored to that job
Agreed. A CV shouldn't be more than 2 pages ideally, unless you have some major projects that you've worked on where the tasks you carried out are pertinent to the role you're applying for. I was interviewing people before I left my last job, and any CVs over two pages (where unessential to do so) so readily considered. Some people had around 7-page CVs, I'd just open the email and close it straight away. Also make sure that dates are sequential, any gaps will be picked up on and questioned. If you're adding statements like "I have good attention to detail" then make sure your grammar is correct and formatting is uniform, even for simple things like single spacing and double spacing new sentences.

It sounds picky, but these things are definitely noticed, and your first impression to the employer is going to be in that piece of paper so make it count Smile If you want anyone to read over your CV feel free to send it over Smile
ill happily post mine up here once ive removed a few personal details if you want to see it cully?
There ya go chaps, needs updating big time but no reason too as im self employed
Dicky I've removed those attachments as they contained your address. Can you remove it and then reupload please Smile
(17-03-2013, 09:50 PM)Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Dicky I've removed those attachments as they contained your address. Can you remove it and then reupload please Smile
Thought I took em out, my bad!

redone
(17-03-2013, 09:52 PM)Dicky Wrote: [ -> ]
(17-03-2013, 09:50 PM)Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Dicky I've removed those attachments as they contained your address. Can you remove it and then reupload please Smile

redone

Went through that making a few changes that i would do personally then i realised it wasnt you asking the original question haha
cool thanks

lol i have two pages of qualifications cant think condensing that would help

but ive got to build a pack with copys of cetificates to hand over and the cover letters will head the pack Wink
(17-03-2013, 10:00 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]
(17-03-2013, 09:52 PM)Dicky Wrote: [ -> ]

redone

Went through that making a few changes that i would do personally then i realised it wasnt you asking the original question haha
Oh dear! lol
Make sure the first bit in your CV (after your personal details) is the bit about yourself and that you really sell yourself.

Something along the lines of Im a hard working and highly motivated person with experience of working in many sectors both in paid and voluntary roles. I am a great team worked having but also have a high level of personal responsibility and take pride in my own work so am more than happy working on a project on my own (insert relevant experience). I am highly resilient and can easily adapt to suit operational/organisational needs even at short notice (insert relevant experience). I have not been late to work or had a day off sick in the last X years.

My english is terrible but a better written version of that would be good. Employers want to see that alot more than "I got a load of mediocre GCSEs 10 years ago and I've done half a dozen jobs with no real relevance in the same period.
Dum Dum - Whilst that might work I'd actually avoid putting too much effort into it. It's referred to as a 'personal statement'.

A lot of it can be put in your covering letter and the last thing you want to do is repeat yourself. 'Bigging' yourself up is great, but an employer doesn't want to see some hashed-together copy-paste bullshit from the internet. A CV needs to read like a fact-file on that person and not a soppy attempt at brown-nosing before you even have the job.

What kind of industry is the OP trying to get into?
Thanks for your help guys, Dicky's one was very useful. Have some more done and will continue tonight after working on the car.

(18-03-2013, 12:18 PM)C.A.R. Wrote: [ -> ]Dum Dum - Whilst that might work I'd actually avoid putting too much effort into it. It's referred to as a 'personal statement'.

A lot of it can be put in your covering letter and the last thing you want to do is repeat yourself. 'Bigging' yourself up is great, but an employer doesn't want to see some hashed-together copy-paste bullshit from the internet. A CV needs to read like a fact-file on that person and not a soppy attempt at brown-nosing before you even have the job.

What kind of industry is the OP trying to get into?

I want to get into IT. I have some experience and a qualification in it but that didn't seem to get me anywhere over the last few year. However I'd be happy with something that pays a normal amount with normal hours for now so I could get the money to pay for a Microsoft qualification. Currently, when I am working, I do evenings and weekends which is bullshit.
Pretty much what everyone else has said is spot on really. If you have any qualifications, it's good to put something like 'copies available upon request' and take them to an interview with you. Again to save space, you could put 'references available upon request' rather than listing them.

I'm currently going through CVs for a cleaner- if you're going for a similar role then keep the CV short and sweet, with all necessary training. Really, they won't want a huge amount of personal detail or all your GSCE grades listed as it's not required for the role (sounds harsh but it's true).

Cleaning manager however- they'll want to know all training details & dates, all areas of expertise etc. Also be able to back up ANYTHING you put in your CV with examples- so if you say you're a team player or a great problem solver, be prepared to give them an example of time when you solved a problem.

As Scott said, always ensure your dates are correct and if you have any gaps in your employment history you need to explain why, for example to do voluntary work or go back to school. They will get picked up and they will be questioned as gaps in employment history can look bad.
CAR your wrong mate. My mum sits on the board that does all the hiring of staff for her organisation so I have a good idea of what they are looking for. Copy and paste us bad but a good personal statement is vital and you need to take the opportunity to big yourself. If you dont use your CV as an opportunity to do it you might never get the chance in interview as companies will always go with those who sound good in a CV.

Dont overdo it though as you'll sound like your lying and try and pitch it at the level of job your going for
Your covering letter must be just a brief description about yourself and your CV must be in detail as your basically, selling yourself as much as you can without making it sound like complete lies. If that makes sense?
i also have to bring follow these instructions to interview

Please bring the following documents to your interview:
1) Written references will be sought to verify your last three years employment/education. Please therefore ensure that you bring a
written list of referees and their contact details to your interview in order to cover these last 3 years. Every gap must be covered by a
reference. If you have not been working for any periods we will require a character reference from someone with a position of standing in
the community, who has known you for at leat 5 years or a letter from 'Job Centre Plus' if you have been claiming Job Seekers Allowance
to cover this period.
2) Evidence of your qualifications/professional registration (if applicable).
You must bring original certificates relating to academic or professional qualifications and evidence of professional registration. You must
also bring copies for the panel to verify and keep.
3) Evidence of your identity.
You will need to provide 3 documents to confirm your identiy. These can be either 2 photo and 1 address or 1 photo and 2 address.
Please note you must bring the originals and a photocopy of each for the panel to verify and keep.
Example documents are:
Photo: Valid passport; UK driving license (photo and counterpart).
Address (received within the last 3 months): Bank statement; Utility bill.
Address (received within the last 12 months): Council tax bill; TV License.
(18-03-2013, 03:34 PM)cully Wrote: [ -> ]i also have to bring follow these instructions to interview

Please bring the following documents to your interview:
1) Written references will be sought to verify your last three years employment/education. Please therefore ensure that you bring a
written list of referees and their contact details to your interview in order to cover these last 3 years. Every gap must be covered by a
reference. If you have not been working for any periods we will require a character reference from someone with a position of standing in
the community, who has known you for at leat 5 years or a letter from 'Job Centre Plus' if you have been claiming Job Seekers Allowance
to cover this period.
2) Evidence of your qualifications/professional registration (if applicable).
You must bring original certificates relating to academic or professional qualifications and evidence of professional registration. You must
also bring copies for the panel to verify and keep.
3) Evidence of your identity.
You will need to provide 3 documents to confirm your identiy. These can be either 2 photo and 1 address or 1 photo and 2 address.
Please note you must bring the originals and a photocopy of each for the panel to verify and keep.
Example documents are:
Photo: Valid passport; UK driving license (photo and counterpart).
Address (received within the last 3 months): Bank statement; Utility bill.
Address (received within the last 12 months): Council tax bill; TV License.

Thats some strict requirements.
Also most jobs only require proof of identity and address once they have offered you the job and you are signing the contract?! Thats how it worked for me anyway.
yeh dont go over two pages and be to the point. Often at an interview youll discuss examples of things you have said i.e. problem solving and teamworking etc. Just be honest. if you cant back it up then you're not going to get the job.
Worst job interview question I find is "What would you say has been your greatest ever acheivement?"

I have acheived nothing. That's why I'm here asking for a job, instead of lounging in the pool of my Spanish villa.
This is a hard one for me as well. At the age of 23, I have had only two jobs; one of them newly this year. My first job as a cleaner I got when I was 19 (well, nearly 20) my second job as a postman on a 5 hour a week contract which is more "proper" than cleaning is something that I was very lucky to get and that I am very greatful for. I went to uni (total waste of time and I am just not a 'uni' person) in a subject that I am really not that interested in (IT). I just scraped uni and without experience I can't get an IT job anyway. So yeah. Without any content to put on your CV you are f*cked, basically. The best CV in the world is no good without a work history.
(18-03-2013, 04:42 PM)306Puggy Wrote: [ -> ]This is a hard one for me as well. At the age of 23, I have had only two jobs; one of them newly this year. My first job as a cleaner I got when I was 19 (well, nearly 20) my second job as a postman on a 5 hour a week contract which is more "proper" than cleaning is something that I was very lucky to get and that I am very greatful for. I went to uni (total waste of time and I am just not a 'uni' person) in a subject that I am really not that interested in (IT). I just scraped uni and without experience I can't get an IT job anyway. So yeah. Without any content to put on your CV you are f*cked, basically. The best CV in the world is no good without a work history.

Not essentially true. Everyone has to start somewhere normally when they leave education. A CV is like a car advert. what would you buy? a 306 that just says 'for sale, runs alright' or one that goes into detail with any damage, good points, economy, history etc?
(18-03-2013, 04:26 PM)C.A.R. Wrote: [ -> ]Worst job interview question I find is "What would you say has been your greatest ever acheivement?"

I have acheived nothing. That's why I'm here asking for a job, instead of lounging in the pool of my Spanish villa.

Your child mate Smile Tells em you wont be staying late, and you'll be too tired from lack of sleep to work properly. And none of your money is spent on you, causing you to resent the young attractive secretary on the front desk with the sports car Tongue

Joking aside, without knowing you, surely the child is up there? I can imagine that'd be just about the most amazing feeling ever...
This ^^^ It might not get you the job, but it could get you an empathy blowie from the HR bird taking minutes in the interview.

Send me your email addy man, i'll chuck you a copy of my CV - when i was job-hunting i was regularly complimented on it.
(18-03-2013, 01:38 PM)Dicky Wrote: [ -> ]Your covering letter must be just a brief description about yourself and your CV must be in detail as your basically, selling yourself as much as you can without making it sound like complete lies. If that makes sense?

and why you want the job and what you can bring to the job!
As Niall and Rowell say, your covering letter should be about your suitability for the job, if possible include some relevant extra information that's not on your CV, it also helps you because it'll give them something to talk about in the interview. For example, if you were applying to be a teacher and you're also a scout leader - something that wouldn't necessarily be on your CV, but is important to the job.
My CV is 4 pages long in bullet point form. I've glossed over lesser jobs and detailed better jobs. I admit its kinda long but the feedback I get is "your CV is slightly long but we get a good feel of as a person"

Cully pm me your email address and ill send you it at work later, I also need to speak to you about sorting my airbag system with resistors for gold coins Smile
Pages: 1 2